• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Looking for advice on whether or not to pick up a charter arms .38 snubnose foras a nightstand gun. Quality/reliability feedback is appreciated!

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have one in my nightstand. Quick, light, convenient, easy to hide. Perfect to engage anybody that comes through my bed room door. However, if you want to go strolling through the house looking for nasty boys, I suggest you step up to a short barreled shotgun, or maybe a Taurus Judge. Much easier to handle, and much more affective at range. Just my 2 cents worth :)

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I don't think a snubnose revolver is the best choice for a nightstand gun. However,
    if you have decided that a snubnose revolver is what you want for a nightstand gun, the Charter Arms is a very good choice.

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    I bought my wife the (pink lady) version. Its her first gun so she loves it, but she couldnt hit the side of a school bus at 5 yards. I shot it at 20 yards no problem hitting the target so its not the gun. I think It would be a nice cheap night stand gun.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My brother has the Charter Arms .44 Bulldog (holy cow is that a hand cannon to shoot :D), I have shot it quite a few times at the range and it has always went bang (but after 5 rounds I don't like shooting it anymore :laugh:). He just bought his wife the .38 Undercover and I have not had the chance to shoot it yet but she liked how it griped for her.

They seem to be a good reliable somewhat inexpensive handgun. I think it would serve you well as a defensive handgun.

Not to change your mind but another handgun that is a great defensive hand gun is the Ruger SP101's. They are built like a tank and can handle the .357 mag. load easily (but not a real joy to shoot to many of them when at the range :):) but are really soft .38 shooters. Just another option for you.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Never had a Charter, although I have always heard good things about them. However, I have a Taurus 605 in .357, and my fiancee has a Taurus 85 in .38 that we bought used. It was $250 used, and has been a great little pistol. No issues out of it. Even new, my .357 was only $320. Taurus autos may have issues occasionally, (although all of mine have been flawless,) but their revolvers are generally real shooters, and at a bargain price with a great warranty.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    I had one in a 44 Bulldog and it shot Very good,it's as smooth as you get ,and compare's or maybe a little Better than a Rossi or Tarus

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've read the usual horror stories on this and other sites, so caveat emptor. Apparently they went through a spell of less than stellar quality. That said, I bought one about twenty years ago that had been retired from it's job as an Anderson cop's ankle gun, carried it for a Loooong time, and recently had it cerakoted a lovely pink for my eldest daughter, mainly due to it's dependability.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Bought my wife a Pink Lady for mother's day and she loves it. She is getting more accurate with it as she shoots. Not had a problem yet other than when she tries to shoot it double action style she doesn't have enough strength. It has a heavy trigger pull. I may see if I can get a trigger job done on it to make it easier for her to point and shoot. I think that will help anyhow. Good gun over all.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have a Charter arms Bulldog .44 spl and can put all 5 rounds on the paper at 25 yds. Never had a problem with it.

bubba31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I have the 357 mag pug for a carry gun, I haven't had it long but I have put about 200 rounds thro it the winchester target loads of 38 special didn't seem to shoot very good out of it but the remington 38 +p's shot pretty good out of it I asked if it was the hotter loads out of the snubnose that were more accurate or if it was my gun prefered the remington and was told most likely my gun prefered remington but anyway I like mine an if you like the gun I'm sure it would make a fine home defense weapon for you

Top Bottom