• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a Smith model 36 that I bought mother-of-pearl grips for, but the MOP grips did not come with a screw. The screw that came with the original checkered grips is too long and too thick to go through the escutcheons in the MOP grips.

Any ideas? I'm estimating that the length will need to be somewhere between 5/8-3/4", but I don't know what guage of screw it will take or how to find it.

dragongrip1_zpsb2496147.jpg
    dragongrip2_zps0c9e17dd.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I went to Ace, which is my go-to place when I need a screw. (Jeez, did I just say that?) I like that they have the open bins instead of pre-packaged stuff. They didn't have anything with the right kind of head on it. Filister, I think it's called?

I took Squirt (Brett) up on his offer and we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll try our local Do-it store.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, here's another question. I've seen the universal grip screw kits that come with escutcheons. Are the holes in the grips that the escutcheons go into a universal size, or do those vary also?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I went to Ace, which is my go-to place when I need a screw. (Jeez, did I just say that?) I like that they have the open bins instead of pre-packaged stuff. They didn't have anything with the right kind of head on it. Filister, I think it's called?

I took Squirt (Brett) up on his offer and we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work, I'll try our local Do-it store.

I have a set of assorted gunsmithing screws, including #6-48 fillister head (7 different lengths)
    #8-40 fillister head (3 different lengths)

And others.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    As i stated in our P.M. conversation .I think original ms&w screws are #5 screw with 44 tpi. you stated that original S&W screws are too big in dia.If you try to force a wrong screw in the grips you might crack them .As to changing to a universal screw & escutcheons removing the C might break the grips . You could have the escutcheons drilled and tapped to fit a new Dia. Screw

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks to all who replied. :+1: to Squirt239. He sent me an assortment of screws, and the very thinnest one fits. What's the cleanest way to cut it off?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, I've got one. Thanks again.

Now the next project is that the pegs on the butt of the gun that hold the grips in place are too long for the thin grips. I may have to grind them down just a bit.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ok, I've got one. Thanks again.

Now the next project is that the pegs on the butt of the gun that hold the grips in place are too long for the thin grips. I may have to grind them down just a bit.

And the next project is to post a daggone pic with the daggone grips on that daggone model 36 nickel!!!!!! The story of the grips, the search for the gun, the finding of the gun, the finding of the grip screw etc....Is like one of those old fashioned "Serials" from the 1930's.....

I WANT TO SEE THE FINAL EPISODE!!!!! How does it turn out???? Does Hoppy get the girl? Do he and the outlaw patch up their differences and go all "Brokeback Mountain" on each other? Did Lassie get Timmy out of that %$^-ing Well?????:)::)::)::)::):

Seriously did Lassie get Timmy out of the well?

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, working on it. I've got the grip screw. Now I need to shorten it.

The mother of pearl grips are very thin, so the hole for the peg is very shallow. If I tried to drill it deeper, it would break through or crack the MOP. So that leaves shortening the peg. Hopefully I can get to it soon. I've got a bunch of other stuff going on right now. :faint:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    How much does it need to come down? You might be able to mic the grip hole depth, then mark the pin on the frame. You could then use the same mini hack saw to remove excess material on the from. A quick buff on a wheel to take away sharp edges, and you should be g2g. If you need any more help, give me a shout.

Top Bottom