• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    So I was reading through another thread on here where a couple of people mentioned the Sig MPX. I was curious about it so I went to their website, and the first thing that pops up is a youtube video advertising the thing. They show the gun firing after being submerged in water, snow, sand, all of which seems pretty normal. Then they get to something called NATO mud? A quick google search gave me results that either go back to sig's website or to buy some Mud Grappler tires. Does NATO really have nothing better to do than to come up with a specific consistency of mud just to bury firearms in or is this just another marketing gimmick?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So I was reading through another thread on here where a couple of people mentioned the Sig MPX. I was curious about it so I went to their website, and the first thing that pops up is a youtube video advertising the thing. They show the gun firing after being submerged in water, snow, sand, all of which seems pretty normal. Then they get to something called NATO mud? A quick google search gave me results that either go back to sig's website or to buy some Mud Grappler tires. Does NATO really have nothing better to do than to come up with a specific consistency of mud just to bury firearms in or is this just another marketing gimmick?

The military expose their weapons to all kinds of elements. One being mud!

Last edited:

BoxingRef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Cincy
    I think its' also the suggested, "qualilty of Mudd" that the two young ladies were rolling around in back in the early 80's while I was on spring break.

I'm sure they both have children; and or, grand children now ... grinning!

Be safe all

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

It's a standard mud for testing. That way you don't have one manufacturer using mud the consistency of cement and another using brown water. The manufacturers know what spec they need to design to. Just like your car is designed to handle certain specs of water, mud, salt, etc.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    That makes sense, but then why weren't they testing in NATO sand also? Sand can vary quite a bit in coarseness, but they just grabbed any old sand.

I guess I just figured if it was a widely accepted standard that I would be able to find more information. If you google ballistic gel you get all kinds of information about the proper density and testing procedure. Granted, there are a lot fewer people doing mud tests (for guns anyways) in their backyards so I guess it wouldn't be as widely available. Sometimes I just over-analyze things that are new to me lol

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Golly, this thread reminds me of the late 90s and those delightful flared leg low cut Mudd brand jeans. I spent many a day at Hobart High School studying the shapely curves of the female body, topped with chokers and bare midriffs.

Of course it was also the style for the fat girls to wear Mudd jeans with a baby doll dress to cover their muffin tops. All things being equal, I do have many fond memories of Mudd jeans.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Yeah, because the one thing you don't want in scientific research is consistency.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's a standard mud for testing. That way you don't have one manufacturer using mud the consistency of cement and another using brown water. The manufacturers know what spec they need to design to. Just like your car is designed to handle certain specs of water, mud, salt, etc.

There is also EPA certified mud for testing turbidity monitoring equipment used in waste water treatment facilities. Whenever you have to certify something for the government, you get all kinds of strange requirements.

Top Bottom