National Carry Reciprocity Bill ~ call your reps today!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looks like we could get some common sense added to carry law reciprocity and recognition from the federal level that carry is a right of citizens. You may want to contact your representative and ask them to push this forward, it was just introduced and is going to need the help of everyone here. If you are members of other gun boards, please post this there too! We need to get the word out :draw:

Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2008 (Introduced in House)
    HR 5782 IH

110th CONGRESS
    2d Session
    H. R. 5782

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for reciprocity in regard to the manner in which nonresidents of a State may carry certain concealed firearms in that State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 14, 2008

Mr. BOOZMAN (for himself, Mr. MCCOTTER, Mr. SESSIONS, Mr. PETERSON of Pennsylvania, Mr. MILLER of Florida, Mr. MARCHANT, Mr. HUNTER, Mr. WESTMORELAND, Ms. GINNY BROWN-WAITE of Florida, Mrs. CUBIN, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. YOUNG of Alaska, Mr. FRANKS of Arizona, Mr. HAYES, Mr. GARRETT of New Jersey, Mr. CANNON, Mr. WILSON of South Carolina, Mr. WAMP, Mr. HALL of Texas, Mr. HENSARLING, Mr. DEAL of Georgia, Mr. GINGREY, Mr. ROGERS of Kentucky, Mr. ROGERS of Alabama, Mr. KELLER of Florida, Mr. ADERHOLT, Mr. MCINTYRE, Mr. SOUDER, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. CAMP of Michigan, Mr. REHBERG, Mrs. MILLER of Michigan, Mr. MOLLOHAN, and Mr. SALI) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to provide for reciprocity in regard to the manner in which nonresidents of a State may carry certain concealed firearms in that State.
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the `Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement (SAFE) Act of 2008'.​
    SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:​
    `Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
    `Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:​
    `(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.
    `(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.'.​
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:​
    `926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.​
    SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
    The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.​

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    It never fails. Every time I think I'm going to vote against Dan Burton, he goes and does something like co-sponsoring this bill and forces me to support him one more time.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Is anyone else concerned about the federal powers' boundaries being crossed at the expense of the states?

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    I have mixed feelings on this one. I like the content of the Bill but I don't like the Federal Goverment usurping the States rights. I would like to be able to carry Nationally but this must come by reciprocity with the other States, not by Federal Government mandate. I will have to lobby against HR5782.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is anyone else concerned about the federal powers' boundaries being crossed at the expense of the states?

I actually thought about that before I posted this. I'm a major proponent of states rights and can understand why people might see this bill as a potential problem.

HOWEVER if you very carefully read the bill, it really only affects a few states. This bill still grants the states rights. What it does is affect only the states that have not established reciprocity and (again read the bill carefully) it only grants reciprocity if your home state has carry requirements that are similar to the state you are going to carry into. In the case of those of us in Indiana, where we have a "shall issue" carry system, without mandatory training, we will not have the right to carry in many states despite this bill.

I would caution anyone who opposes this bill that lobbying against it would be considered support for anti-gun laws. If you don't support, then sit back quietly, but if you are a gun rights advocate and you oppose this then you are helping Sara Brady and her ilk.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Ok after looking this over I think it's good to get behind it.
    Here is my reasoning. The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to bear arms, so instead of this being a States Rights issue I'm now seeing it as a removal of unconstitutional laws that restrict that right. The Federal Government is supposed to protect our rights and this bill moves us in that direction. I'll call my Rep today.

Top Bottom