• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The Marine thing the other day reminded me what a friend sent me once.
    Just thought I'd share it. I don't know the author...

When the Lord was creating Vietnam veterans, He was into His 6th day of overtime when an angel appeared.

"You're certainly doing a lot of fiddling around on this one."

And God said, "Have you seen the specs on this order? A Nam vet has to be able to run 5 miles through the bush with a full pack on, endure with barely any sleep for days, enter tunnels his higher ups wouldn't consider doing, and keep his weapons clean and operable.

He has to be able to sit in his hole all night during an attack, hold his buddies as they die, walk point in unfamiliar territory known to be VC infested, and somehow keep his senses alert for danger.

He has to be in top physical condition existing on c-rats, very little rest and he has to have 6 pairs of hands."

The angel shook his head slowly and said, "6 pair of hands....no way."

The Lord say's "It's not the hands that are causing me problems.... It's the 3 pair of eyes a Nam vet has to have."

"That's on the standard model?" asked the angel.

The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through elephant grass, another pair here in the side of his head for his buddies, another pair here in front that can look reassuringly at his bleeding, fellow soldier and say, "You'll make it".......when he knows he won't.

"Lord, rest, and work on this tomorrow."

"I can't," said the Lord. "I already have a model that can carry a wounded soldier 1,000 yards during a firefight, calm the fears of the latest FNG, and feed a family of 4 on a grunt's paycheck."

The angel walked around the model and said, "Can it think?"

"You bet," said the Lord. "It can quote much of the UCMJ, recite all his general orders, and engage in a search and destroy mission in less time than it takes for his fellow Americans back home to discuss the morality of the War, and still keep his sense of humor."

"This Nam vet also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with ambushes from hell, comfort a fallen soldier's family, and then read in his hometown paper how Nam vets are baby killers, psychos, addicts, killers of innocent civilians."

The Lord gazed into the future and said, "He will also endure being vilified and spit on when he returns home, rejected and crucified by the very ones he fought for."

Finally, the angel slowly ran his finger across the vet's cheek, and said, "There's a leak...I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model."

"That's not a leak", said the Lord. "That's a tear."

"What's the tear for?" asked the angel.

"It's for bottled up emotions, for holding fallen soldiers as they die, for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the American flag, for the terror of living with PTSD for decades after the war, alone with it's demons with no one to care or help."

"You're a genius," said the angel, casting a gaze at the tear.

The Lord looked very somber…………………."I didn't put it there," he said.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I'm not a Viet Nam vet.
    But I have served with many. They have all been some of the kindest, meanest, freindliest, anti-social, give-it-all, don't-give-a-crap, Humble, and proud groups of vets I've ever met.

Whatever attitude you think they have, they EARNED it.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    My dad went there twice when I was a kid. He never talks about it. He has a bronze star from it. I would like to know someday what happened. But I may never find out. But still proud of him, not just because he is my dad. I remember the treatment our soldiers had back then. It has been better. But I am afraid the current administration will cause the same to happen again. The radical list group they came up with. I hope we never let this happen again to the men and women that put their lives on the line.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My dad went there twice when I was a kid. He never talks about it. He has a bronze star from it. I would like to know someday what happened. But I may never find out. But still proud of him, not just because he is my dad. I remember the treatment our soldiers had back then. It has been better. But I am afraid the current administration will cause the same to happen again. The radical list group they came up with. I hope we never let this happen again to the men and women that put their lives on the line.

You need to talk with him about it now while you still can. He may not want to, and you cant control that. One regret I have is not talking with my Grandfather about his roll in WWII. I dont have the opportunity to do that anymore.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    So many of my uncles were in VN. A few have the health issues from agent orange (?)! I have SO much respect for VN vets. NO ONE will ever understand the experiences they had. I wish it was something I could talk to my uncles about. But, they have never been able to talk about it with even their kids. One of my uncle has really bad flash backs. We'll be hanging out having a conversation, and he'll jump up and start yelling "TAKE COVER BOYS"....It's just..........sad!

Bless all the VN vets! Bless all who have served!

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    k06937.jpg

v7sck5.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    When they want to talk, they will. What's important is, that someone is there to listen when they want to talk.

Semper Fi .......

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    When I was a newbie butter bar in the field artillery, those vets took me under their wing. I think, no...I know, I learned more from their experiences and advice than I could have ever learned in a couple military lifetimes.

:patriot: :yesway:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    My first paltoon sargent in the corps was a big ole Indian vn vet. When I first meet him I thought oh **** WTF did I get my self into. About 6 months later in a place called Beruit there was no doubt that he was a bad MF and no doubt that he cared for the Marines under his charge. I still get goose bumps today just thinking about him.

Top Bottom