N.J. asks judge to force gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson to hand over documents on how it markets firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is lawfare They are just openly attacking the company to cost them money.

What BS, they are misrepresenting "the impact owning a firearm has on personal safety.” And "Some Smith & Wesson ads also promoted carrying concealed firearms without mentioning that New Jerseyans needed a permit to conceal carry, state officials wrote."

Those are some major violations of advertising! Because every single auto company ad always ends with a disclaimer that to drive you need a drivers license, vehicle license, pay certain taxes, etc. The first one is a pure opinion point.

Now will the courts turn away or make S&W spend millions to add to the price of your firearms?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    "Those are some major violations of advertising! Because every single auto company ad always ends with a disclaimer that to drive you need a drivers license, vehicle license, pay certain taxes, etc. The first one is a pure opinion point."

I am not planning to buy any new or used vehicle in the near future so don't really watch car ads but I do not ever remember seeing this type disclaimer. Besides that it is false, I can buy a new truck and use it on my own land and not need a driver's license, plates or insurance. Jim.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The gun manufacturer “claims that it is above the law — that it can deceive consumers and potential consumers of its products without consequence,” the state attorney general’s office wrote in court documents filed Friday.

What B.S. are they trying to prove now.

S&W - our guns go pew pew and shoot bullets.

N.J. - you didn't say you have to buy bullets in your advertisements...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "Those are some major violations of advertising! Because every single auto company ad always ends with a disclaimer that to drive you need a drivers license, vehicle license, pay certain taxes, etc. The first one is a pure opinion point."

I am not planning to buy any new or used vehicle in the near future so don't really watch car ads but I do not ever remember seeing this type disclaimer. Besides that it is false, I can buy a new truck and use it on my own land and not need a driver's license, plates or insurance. Jim.
    Exactly, the car ad implies you can drive on the road but does not have the type of disclaimer they are saying S&W should have, and of course one could use the S&W on their private land.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Unfortunately, these types of lawsuits reach across state lines and no manufacturer is safe from them regardless of where they are located. They are similar in ways to states suing tobacco companies. In the case of gun manufacturers, it's a BS legal tactic used to achieve a political agenda. We need stronger protections at the Federal level to prohibit these types of malicious actions.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    If you own firearms and live in New Jersey leave now! It will only get worse! Go West 2A supporters and feel freedom.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Disagree.....we need attorneys & judges who follow the law, not try and invent law that suits them or there adjective
    But seriously, that's not going to happen. Personally, I don't see how a manufacturer would stay in a state that is constantly trying to ban or over-regulate their products.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    But seriously, that's not going to happen. Personally, I don't see how a manufacturer would stay in a state that is constantly trying to ban or over-regulate their products.
    Its cheaper to stay then to move the equipment, fight with the union, retrain employees, ect

Top Bottom