• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Why would foreign currency be a good idea on American soil? His was geared toward use in other countries where that currency could serve as tender and credibility. Here, none of which will apply.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I could maybe see Canadian, but I don't really see any use for Euro's. Hell, even Europe sees no use for the Euro.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    :rolleyes: Ummm maybe because the Euro is the second most traded currency in the world after the US dollar?

I've never seen anyone pay with a Euro here in the states. As a matter of fact, can it even be used outside of a currency exchange? If SHTF, here in the states and the dollar fails, who in their right mind would accept the euro as tender? I know I wouldn't.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I've never seen anyone pay with a Euro here in the states. As a matter of fact, can it even be used outside of a currency exchange? If SHTF, here in the states and the dollar fails, who in their right mind would accept the euro as tender? I know I wouldn't.
    In that scenario I do not think I would take US dollars

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    In that scenario I do not think I would take US dollars

Exactly my point. It's not very often I say something is definitely a bad idea, but IMO this is. If you regularly traveled to Canada and Europe, sure it's a good idea. Here in the states, it's a waste especially considering you might need your last dollar and only have Euros left. How much would you regret that, especially if it were a substantial amount?

Looking at history as an example, inflation normally occurs. If inflation occurs the value of the dollar is less and the value of necessary items rises. Lets say gas hits $100 per gallon and you've only got $100 cash and $100 in Euros, you're screwed unless you can get to a currency exchange.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Interesting video, but not, I fear, germane to most of us who have no need (nor desire) for globe-hopping to search for anything (or anyone). The STORY of how/why it was put together is interesting, but I don't see it any of it applying to most of us in our domestic situations.

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    Dont forget condoms, **** tickets, and maybe even a multi spice dispenser. Then you can make a good dinner out of the family dog, clean up the aftermath, and maybe even get lucky without having to feed something else after. All these things I always see left out of a good kit.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    7 hours to Toronto. From there an easy trip to any of the 40 countries where it is accepted. Crack jokes; I give a rip. Anyone 5 Flags/PT savvy here, please PM me with input. Apparently I've disturbed the cognoscenti by distracting them from the discussions of $400,000 bug out vehicles for which they've apparently planned a gas budget of $100.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    36324443.jpg

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    My take

I doubt that we would see very high inflation if there was a shtf scenario unless it's an economic one resulting from mass printing of money. It seems to me these days that most of the currency that exisits is digital. From the federal reserve website I found that "$1.13 trillion was in Federal Reserve notes" (FRB: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?). Assuming that it was spread across the a population of 300 million I calculate it to come out to $433 per man, woman, and child. With that being said most is likely locked up in bank vaults and will be hard to access. If cash remains a medium of exchange I think it will hold its value well. Infact if the digital dollar collapses (assuming it exisits) actual cash might even go up in value. Finally Canada isn't very far from here in distance, I think having Canadian currecny is a good idea and may even be a hedge in economic termoil.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Finally Canada isn't very far from here in distance, I think having Canadian currecny is a good idea and may even be a hedge in economic termoil.

Another reason I suggested Euros is Canada is still a constitutional monarchy under Elizabeth and does a lot of trade with Europe. In fact, in my field you can get UK chartering by taking examinations that are only available in Europe and one other country - Canada. The euros are a lot more liquid in Canada than people think. Same trip and you can hedge on multiple economies rather than just one.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In countries that have experienced economic crisis and super inflation we have seen them use foreign currencies. I think it's smart to have some foreign currency on hand. And as always gold and silver because they allow you to keep a low profile if you needed quick cash.

But let's not get this type of stash mixed up with a local or world wife shtf event type bag. These types of caches or bags are designed for a personal shtf event where you must get out of your AO quickly and undetected. I do think the average person should also be prepared for this too but the odds of needing this are slim to none.

Top Bottom