• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Very nice I own four, none CMP, one Colt 1911 frame, with WWII slide arsenal rebuild my father ordered for $25 back in the 60's in Detroit from the American Rifleman magazine, M-1 carbines were $16 ea, and my dads friend Jim ordered two.
    His .45 came in a box wrapped in brown paper via the mail, I know I opened the door fro the mailman who asked for my dad to come sign for it.
    He kept it in a GI brown holster with spare mag pouch on a GI belt in his sock drawer.
    He told me never to touch it, but I opened that drawer, and looked at what was sticking out of the holster many a time.
    It is now in my safe with an original Remington Rand I got in Vegas, and an Ithaca i don't know where I got.
    But my prize possession is a 1915 Colt 1911 , I got in trade at the Indy 1500 in the mid 90's. mint condition
    It went from Springfield Mass, to Hampers Ferry VA, to Ft. Bliss TX in 1916.
    The rest is history on those old Colts.
    As a young Military Policeman in training at Ft. Mc Clellan Al, I went through an underground warehouse with cells upon cells containing .45 autos in racks as far as the eye could see on both sides of the underground two lane road.
    During my twenty one year career in the US Army Military Police Corps I was issued many a GI .45 mostly Remington Rands and an Ithaca, every now and then, I never saw a Colt/Singer/US Switch and Signal, ever in twenty one years. When we switched to the Beretta 9mm's I still asked for and carried, a GI issue .45 through the Gulf War.
    Towards the end of my career I carried my (unofficial) Remington Rand or Ithaca when we went to the field.
    My if mine could only talk, Pancho Villa - 1st Gulf War, where did they serve?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I’m glad to see more people on here getting these. I got lucky and got an early number in round 1 and there was a very distinct line of people who were against the prices.

your colt/RR looks great. Are the grips keys or late production?
    Both grip panels on the Colt are late production. One panel on the Ithaca is a “key” and one is a late production. However, I have a box of “keys” so I can change them out if I so desire. Were the pistols the same price in round one? What did you receive with your early number in the first round?

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Both grip panels on the Colt are late production. One panel on the Ithaca is a “key” and one is a late production. However, I have a box of “keys” so I can change them out if I so desire. Were the pistols the same price in round one? What did you receive with your early number in the first round?
    Yes they were the same price.
    I got service grade (only thing offered).

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    My package in and accepted. No email or call to date.... I am getting worried!
    Mine came in! 1943 Remington Rand frame/Colt slide. Tighter than a flea's a$$. Joins my 1918 Colt 1911 and my 1943 Colt frame/Ithica slide. That is a shadow on the front of the slide and frame.

Attachments

• tempImagecS3DCl.png
      tempImagecS3DCl.png
      10.5 MB · Views: 23

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Mine came in! 1943 Remington Rand frame/Colt slide. Tighter than a flea's a$$. Joins my 1918 Colt 1911 and my 1943 Colt frame/Ithica slide. That is a shadow on the front of the slide and frame.
    Congrats.
    very exciting. Your shadow moves up the slide. Are you sure it’s not more? Have you been able to date the slide?

jax1463

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2021
    On Monday I received a call from the CMP that my wife and I had both been drawn to purchase 1911’s. I gave them payment information, and the pistols got to my FFL dealer on Tuesday! We both opted for service grade (the highest grade they have). I picked up the 1911A1’s this afternoon. Both are super TIGHT (I have heard some horror stories of guns being so loose that they rattle horribly). One is a 1943 WWII Colt frame with a Remington Rand slide, and the other is a 1944 WWII Ithaca frame with a Vietnam era replacement slide. Both have replacement barrels and magazines. The great thing is that unlike many of tge CMP 1911’s, neither of the frames have rebuild marks on them, so I can restore them to correct WWII configuration if I like. Do you think I should leave them “as is”, or try to find the correct slides and barrels for them? Does anybody have a Colt or Ithaca slide you would like to trade for a Remington Rand slide?

url=https://postimg.cc/dLGyJhk4]
    0-E022-C3-A-C48-F-49-BE-B0-FA-5-DBD5-ED51-D30.jpg
    [/url]

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Congratulations on your latest additions. Looks like you did really well. Nothing better than owning a piece of history. Personally I would have to take them to the range, at least once.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Absolutely leave them as is!
    We decided to try and find the slides that would have been on them when they left the factory. I found a Colt slide that is a perfect match for the Colt frame. I am still trying to find a nice Ithaca slide for the Ithaca frame, so if anyone has one please let me know. I even have the nice Remington Rand slide for trade if anyone is interested in it.

Mauser Fanatic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 11, 2020
    Fishers
    I'd just keep them as is personally. Changing them back to original parts will never make them "historically correct". Historically correct is the way it got to you. It shows a lot of neat history that one has a replacement slide from the Vietnam war, that means that now your gun has WW2 and Vietnam War history. I think that is cool and makes for a much interesting history to tell someone. I bought some yugo capture K98s back when they were $290 a piece. A lot of people thought I was foolish and that I should buy an all original german one. I told them that my gun is more interesting because it had WW2 and cold war history. The gun's stories didn't just stop at ww2. Enjoy it for the history, don't get wrapped up in the OCD nonsense that people get themselves wrapped up in and enjoy your amazing pistols.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    On Monday I received a call from the CMP that my wife and I had both been drawn to purchase 1911’s. I gave them payment information, and the pistols got to my FFL dealer on Tuesday! We both opted for service grade (the highest grade they have). I picked up the 1911A1’s this afternoon. Both are super TIGHT (I have heard some horror stories of guns being so loose that they rattle horribly). One is a 1943 WWII Colt frame with a Remington Rand slide, and the other is a 1944 WWII Ithaca frame with a Vietnam era replacement slide. Both have replacement barrels and magazines. The great thing is that unlike many of tge CMP 1911’s, neither of the frames have rebuild marks on them, so I can restore them to correct WWII configuration if I like. Do you think I should leave them “as is”, or try to find the correct slides and barrels for them? Does anybody have a Colt or Ithaca slide you would like to trade for a Remington Rand slide?

url=https://postimg.cc/dLGyJhk4]
    0-E022-C3-A-C48-F-49-BE-B0-FA-5-DBD5-ED51-D30.jpg
    [/url]

Those are beautiful!! I think they will hold their value well over the years. Great item to pass down from generation to generation as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom