my thoughts(apologies for grammar and run ons)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    You have to be careful about how much alcohol and smokes you have for barter. I don't know how wise it would be to have substances that people would kill for, and those two pretty much top the list.

I would also verify how much of each substance you wish to store is legal under state and federal law.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    You have to be careful about how much alcohol and smokes you have for barter. I don't know how wise it would be to have substances that people would kill for, and those two pretty much top the list.

I would also verify how much of each substance you wish to store is legal under state and federal law.

Well, first of all, you don't blab about what you have. And you don't buy "bulk" supplies - you do it a little at a time. One or two cartons of cigs at one place, then go to another. Later (a week or two) you can go back to the same place. But there are so many places to purchase these items that you really wouldn't have to worry about repeat stops. Same with alcohol. I think that except for kegs, there is no real limit - "party supplies". The only thing the law would be concerned with would be the "underage" issue.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Checked into it. Fine and Dandy. Secondly, preparedness also includes not only the stockpile of one's resources (strategic or not) but also the defense of them. How many people here are stocking up on ammo? Isnt there a limit on that? Wouldnt people kill for that? Anything you have, ANYTHING is worth killing over to these monkeys running around. 15 cents all the way up to a night with one's daughter and more so. Heck, people will kill just to kill. The nature of the resource to be defended is of little consequence, but the willingness to defend it is priceless.

FlagTag: You are 100% right! The guys at the liqour store thought I was a raging alky because I bought a bottle of rum a week, so I tuned it back to every two weeks. Smokes, generally before an "impending" disaster.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Checked into it. Fine and Dandy. Secondly, preparedness also includes not only the stockpile of one's resources (strategic or not) but also the defense of them. How many people here are stocking up on ammo? Isnt there a limit on that? Wouldnt people kill for that? Anything you have, ANYTHING is worth killing over to these monkeys running around. 15 cents all the way up to a night with one's daughter and more so. Heck, people will kill just to kill. The nature of the resource to be defended is of little consequence, but the willingness to defend it is priceless.

FlagTag: You are 100% right! The guys at the liqour store thought I was a raging alky because I bought a bottle of rum a week, so I tuned it back to every two weeks. Smokes, generally before an "impending" disaster.

Is there only one liquor store in town? Could you go to other near-by towns?
    As for the smokes - remember, that would only work IF you knew that an "impending disaster" was on the way. It wouldn't hurt to buy one or two "cheap" cartons now and than have them vacuum packed and tucked away - just in case. You could always get more later if stores/gas stations were able to sell them. (?)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That is what I do (I have a few cartons vaccumed up). I live in Avon so we have myriad of "silly juice" shops around :D, its just I like the one and its close by.

BTW: Thread Jack: What is up with the law banning cold soda (or is it no soda) in liquor stores? I understand the idea of someone mixing it in the parking lot, consuming and maybe causing an accident, but they will stop at a BP or something anyway to pick up soda so whats the deal!?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    That is what I do (I have a few cartons vaccumed up). I live in Avon so we have myriad of "silly juice" shops around :D, its just I like the one and its close by.

BTW: Thread Jack: What is up with the law banning cold soda (or is it no soda) in liquor stores? I understand the idea of someone mixing it in the parking lot, consuming and maybe causing an accident, but they will stop at a BP or something anyway to pick up soda so whats the deal!?

That's a new one on me. I've heard of limiting or disallowing alcohol at some places, but never soft drinks. More "educated idiots" at work, it seems.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    That's a new one on me. I've heard of limiting or disallowing alcohol at some places, but never soft drinks. More "educated idiots" at work, it seems.

The Liquor Lobby was very strong in Indiana for many years (may still be) and Bars who served Liquor by the Drink did not want Liquor Stores cutting into their by the drink business. It's silly, Pop machines can be located outside the buildings and Ice is sold along with warm pop inside the store. Same reason that Grocery stores do not sell Cold Beer

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The Liquor Lobby was very strong in Indiana for many years (may still be) and Bars who served Liquor by the Drink did not want Liquor Stores cutting into their by the drink business. It's silly, Pop machines can be located outside the buildings and Ice is sold along with warm pop inside the store. Same reason that Grocery stores do not sell Cold Beer

Some stores sell cold beer - here.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Some stores sell cold beer - here.

It's a state specific and type of license thing. I've seen gas stations at interstate exits who sell cold beer. Not conducive to DUI or open container laws or how about the drive thru stores ;) in some states

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    To address the Liquor/beer/cold pop issue. I worked for Eby-Brown and delivered in Kentucky too. Gas stations, speedway gas america, VP, etc. The law in Indiana states that if you sell Cold beer, you can't sell cold pop. If you sell cold pop, no cold beer. In Kentucky it's not the same. In the Speedways here, htey have walk in coolers called something like the water cove. In Kentucky, they call it the Beer Cave! :rockwoot: It's a stupid law and needs to be struck down. It was in Drunk Driving laws that this one was passed.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    To address the Liquor/beer/cold pop issue. I worked for Eby-Brown and delivered in Kentucky too. Gas stations, speedway gas america, VP, etc. The law in Indiana states that if you sell Cold beer, you can't sell cold pop. If you sell cold pop, no cold beer. In Kentucky it's not the same. In the Speedways here, htey have walk in coolers called something like the water cove. In Kentucky, they call it the Beer Cave! :rockwoot: It's a stupid law and needs to be struck down. It was in Drunk Driving laws that this one was passed.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

That doesn't even make sense to me. Cold BEER, no cold pop. Cold pop, no cold BEER. Huh? How many people mix beer and soda/pop?

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wow...You guys have really got me thinking. I just turned 22 So i'm not as wise (I guess you could say) as some of you. Kinda sucks because I'm already working two jobs to make ends meet now. Being a single father doesn't really help things. But you have kinda opened my eyes a little more on where the economy is at and that the future isn't looking to bright. This might sound nuts but I hope and pray that you are all wrong for my 3 year old's sake.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Wow...You guys have really got me thinking. I just turned 22 So i'm not as wise (I guess you could say) as some of you. Kinda sucks because I'm already working two jobs to make ends meet now. Being a single father doesn't really help things. But you have kinda opened my eyes a little more on where the economy is at and that the future isn't looking to bright. This might sound nuts but I hope and pray that you are all wrong for my 3 year old's sake.

Unfortunately, it's going to get worse, before it gets better. (?)
    Prepare now to get through.
    Food is going to go higher, everything is going to go higher. There will be shortages, delays discontinued items, etc. Stock up now, especially on non-perishables. You could always use them later, if the REAL news is wrong.
    Teach the children to conserve and to do for themselves, don't depend on the government to take care of them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    but I hope and pray that you are all wrong for my 3 year old's sake.
    I hope and pray too. If everything somehow corrects itself, you are invited to the aforementioned party in this thread:D.

Nothing wrong with that though. I pray we are all wrong. I hope to wake up one day (after working hard the day before) and magically the economy is better, streets are clean and safe, kids roam free and countries disarm themselves. Sunny day, not one cloud in the sky, everything perfect! I am not being sarcastic, not at all. This would be perfection to me.

One day, my friend, one day....:) Hope, more important that all the preparation in the world, hope, is the most important thing that can be lost with the world tearing itself around you. Remember that when you look at your kid. They are your hope for the future, but also, you are their hope for a better tomarrow.

<------Rawr!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I hope and pray too. If everything somehow corrects itself, you are invited to the aforementioned party in this thread:D.

Nothing wrong with that though. I pray we are all wrong. I hope to wake up one day (after working hard the day before) and magically the economy is better, streets are clean and safe, kids roam free and countries disarm themselves. Sunny day, not one cloud in the sky, everything perfect! I am not being sarcastic, not at all. This would be perfection to me.

One day, my friend, one day....:) Hope, more important that all the preparation in the world, hope, is the most important thing that can be lost with the world tearing itself around you. Remember that when you look at your kid. They are your hope for the future, but also, you are their hope for a better tomarrow.

<------Rawr!

I believe that the world you described would be THE dream for all of us. (I keep thinking of "Star Trek" - the series and how everyone, from everywhere on this planet, joined together for a better world.)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ahh, a better unified, peaceful world. I keep telling everyone the world needs to come toegther to work on our space programs. Enough of this "We'll fly your satelite up if you do this.." kinda crap. We need to turn the ISS into something larger. But in order to accomplish this, we have to teach our children that in God's eye, everyone is equal. No one is higher or lower than anyone else. That learning to LIVE WITH our planet is key. Not to LIVE ON IT. I pray for my own childrens' sake that they never have to witness a WWIII or have to watch their freedoms taken away from them. But for that to happen we have to set a standard the likes of which haven't been seen since 1776. Not just here at home, but all over the world. It makes me so mad when people say to hell with that country. It's their problem, let them take care of themselves. If they want to kill themselves, let them be. Well that's not what this Country is about. It's not what this world should be about. But all the hate, all the anger, and all the F*** em attitude... I don't know. Too many people either don't care, or don't think they can help. When will they wake up?

We have to teach our kids right. Whether they care or not is irrelevant. We have to teach them to care. We have to show them the media and the greedy politicians for what they are so our kids don't fall into that trap. And we have to teach them the things they don't learn in school. The Truth.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Ahh, a better unified, peaceful world. I keep telling everyone the world needs to come toegther to work on our space programs. Enough of this "We'll fly your satelite up if you do this.." kinda crap. We need to turn the ISS into something larger. But in order to accomplish this, we have to teach our children that in God's eye, everyone is equal. No one is higher or lower than anyone else. That learning to LIVE WITH our planet is key. Not to LIVE ON IT. I pray for my own childrens' sake that they never have to witness a WWIII or have to watch their freedoms taken away from them. But for that to happen we have to set a standard the likes of which haven't been seen since 1776. Not just here at home, but all over the world. It makes me so mad when people say to hell with that country. It's their problem, let them take care of themselves. If they want to kill themselves, let them be. Well that's not what this Country is about. It's not what this world should be about. But all the hate, all the anger, and all the F*** em attitude... I don't know. Too many people either don't care, or don't think they can help. When will they wake up?

We have to teach our kids right. Whether they care or not is irrelevant. We have to teach them to care. We have to show them the media and the greedy politicians for what they are so our kids don't fall into that trap. And we have to teach them the things they don't learn in school. The Truth.

Absolutely! If you ask the PEOPLE in all the countries about their feelings, I'm sure they will say the same thing - PEACE and a future for their decendants. (without wars) It's the politicians/leaders who are at fault.

Top Bottom