Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    It isn't as long a road as you think, especially if it's something you can stay interested in. Physical therapy is usually boring in addition to being costly. It goes a lot faster if you make it a challenge. I use some of the Ironmind grip tools, I'm up to the 2.5 Captains of Crush. Shop for IronMind's Crushed-to-Dust Grip tools - Captains of Crush Hand Grippers, grip equipment That's part of how I came up with my user name :D

Killer! Thanks for the insight!!

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Well the diagnosis is good. The skin graph took. Blood is flowing to the necessary part and I am regrowing nerves. Dr.' removed the dead skin from the graph you can see the red in the blood flow.'
    Take stitches out of wrist next week, Finger in maybe 3 and start working on taking some shots again based on tenderness. Here are the results.' 1 day prior to the follow up and day of.
    Hope to be back at the range by mid to late September.

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    figured you were rubbing you forehead... i was rubbing my poor knee ;)

Nah, since the nerve bundle got severed, the top half where it was pulled back from my skull didn't really hurt. Underneath and at the corner . . . different story, but it could have hurt a lot worse. Plus I was probably unconscious during the time when I would have felt most of the initial pain.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Nah, since the nerve bundle got severed, the top half where it was pulled back from my skull didn't really hurt. Underneath and at the corner . . . different story, but it could have hurt a lot worse. Plus I was probably unconscious during the time when I would have felt most of the initial pain.

I was near unconsious, but the pain kept me consious! It really sucked.
    I'm really impressed with the healing process.

I think I'll be back by Mid September if not sooner at this rate! :rockwoot:

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    Wow, thats gosh darn...well...gross. But nice to know you wont be losing that digit. Also, good thing most of us were blessed with 2 pairs of digits. Might be a good time to practice with the other hand. When the first one gets better you could be good enough to go with either hand. How impressive would that be on Top Shot! Switch hitter! Anyway, hope all is well.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I know it has already been said but I'll give you my two cents. :twocents:

Life has given you a lemon, go make some lemonade. Immerse yourself in weakhand only shooting and manipulation drills (don't forget the blade). Make sure you get good information on the topic or find some competent training through an instructor or DVD. Be deliberate and be safe so you don't injure yourself (or your other hand). When your other hand comes back online and you can continue training ... you will be a better warrior than some of us who've taken our good hands for granted.

Good luck on your recovery! This too shall pass.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Well remarkably I have made it back. Not 100% but been shooting 4 weeks now. Healed faster than I thought. Great Genes, Friends, and determination to feel cold steel in the my hands.

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Glad to hear your healing sooner than expected. Maybe you could show some of the Colts players how it's done.

Hope you can make Saturday's Steel shoot.:yesway:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Eh, you should just shoot weak hand only if you really, really, really want to shoot.

In fact, I have what's called an "Idaho Reloader" you could borrow if you'd like to do weak hand only reloadsm but you'll have to shoot a single stack gun. It holds a magazine with the base downward, then you push the magwell over the mag, twist the mag off, and seat it on your thigh. Might be tricky doing it without breakin' the 180, but it can be done.

Or you could reholster with a left handed holster and reload while it's in the holster with your left hand.

I'm a helper. :D

I have to say on the positive side it is an excellant time to force yourself to become more versitile. I took it so far as to be able to throw a knife and tomahawk with my clumsy hand one time when my trained hand was in a sling for a while.

What the heck ya gotta teach it to do a few things any way and there's a limit to what all you can do any way. Might as well see just how good you can get at something you'd like to be able to do with either hand.

It was kind of entertaining when visitors would say they could "never stick that thing". By the time I got my regular arm back I'd just say I could probably stick it with my other arm if I wanted to. Thunk. Heck I bet I could stick one with each arm at the same time with a couple of tries. Thunk.

Wish I'd have kept up with it actually.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    A broken right wrist in high school (many, many moons ago) forced me to do what no coach could... use my left hand.

Glad to hear the healing is going well!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Hey, Bart, glad to hear the outcome seems to be as good as could be expected.

OK, be honest, guys... Am I the only one who whizzed through all those photos by rolling the mouse scroll wheel as fast as possible? YUCK!

Top Bottom