• Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    This is NOT a bashing! (Bassat: Pun attended) lol
    This is one reason I’m not a Kahr fan. I’m not a 6-7 shot pocket gun fan either. In my experience, yours may varry: The smaller the pistol, the more potential for problems. Stiffer recoil springs to absorb the recoil because of less slide mass….kinda stuff! I’m a “Compact" pistol kinda guy. I like full size pistols (G17/Sig P320 Full/M&P 1.0 Full) best but, the older I get, the less I tolerate the extra weight. Again, just me.
    I hope this works out for you though.

I would start with a complete slide dismantle and cleaning. Use no oil on the striker. Needs to be completely dry. I’d also disassemble the mags, giving them a complete cleaning too. Compare the spring length in them as well.

Any rhyme or reason as to which round in the magazine where the issues arose? First one? Middle one? Second to last? Just curious.
    I really, REALLY like my Keltec P32. Over 1,000 rounds and never a mishap. I disassemble, and lube it monthly. No such thing as a stiff recoil spring on a .32! The Kahr CM9 spring is very stiff, though.

I won't be taking the slide apart, yet. Hopefully a Kahr technician will do that... at no cost to me. I believe I've figured out the "slide lock with ammo left" problem. Kahr uses an adjustable spring tensioner on the slide stop. If it is loose, the slide locks open with rounds left in the magazine; a seemingly well-known Kahr issue. THAT problem got worse over the 100 rounds I fired. At the end, it was after every round, in both magazines. I am sure I can fix that myself. We'll see after I finish my coffee.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Video describing slide stop tensioner problem. My spring is loose enough that the spring doesn't even touch the slide stop. I am sure tightening it will solve THAT problem. Off to Walmart for a super small Torx driver set.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Well, OK. Progress. Tightening the tension screw solved the magazine problem. I think. I only experienced the 'slide lock with ammo in mag' while firing, so not absolutely sure. I think I mentioned in the original post that I had this issue: while racking slide with full magazine, I would get slide lock after last round is ejected; normal behavior. What was NOT normal was that on dropping the empty magazine, I could NOT rack the slide to drop it. I HAD to use the slide release. That is no longer true. After tightening the tensioner, I can drop the empty magazine, and rack the slide to get it to go forward. I don't think that fix has any bearing on the other issues (no reset/light strikes), but maybe the slide stop was catching/dragging enough to affect performance. I may go back to the range, but I have to mow the lawn first. Shooting? Mowing? My wife will be much happier if I mow first.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Biggest thing you could do to solve your issues is to realize that you are chasing a hardware solution to a software problem.

:twocents:
    I disagree... at this point. There are way too many excellent reviews of this gun for it to be a design problem. I hope. We'll see. I've already spent the $399.99, the damage is done. May as well try to fix it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I disagree... at this point. There are way too many excellent reviews of this gun for it to be a design problem. I hope. We'll see. I've already spent the $399.99, the damage is done. May as well try to fix it.
    The software problem is in your head. The hardware is the DAO trigger. That's what I meant. Thousands of people safely pocket carry striker fired guns like the P365, Shield, Hellcat, Glock 43, etc. in pocket holsters that cover the trigger.

If you are relying on hardware to keep you safe, you are doing it wrong. Safety is a constant mindset.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The software problem is in your head. The hardware is the DAO trigger. That's what I meant. Thousands of people safely pocket carry striker fired guns like the P365, Shield, Hellcat, Glock 43, etc. in pocket holsters that cover the trigger.

If you are relying on hardware to keep you safe, you are doing it wrong. Safety is a constant mindset.
    I vehemently disagree that the DAO is the problem. DAO is an action type. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I vehemently disagree that the DAO is the problem. DAO is an action type. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Your insistence that a pocket gun must be DAO is absurd. It’s the very reason you are going through what you are going through right now, because you’ve artificially limited your options to mostly crap (Kahr).

I look forward to reading your J Frame adventures in the near future.

:):

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Your insistence that a pocket gun must be DAO is absurd. It’s the very reason you are going through what you are going through right now, because you’ve artificially limited your options to mostly crap (Kahr).

I look forward to reading your J Frame adventures in the near future.

I couldn’t agree more. This fixation on the “safety of the DAO" means nothing if someone isn’t safe first between the ears. The fixation on needing something other than striker fired for pocket carry is silly. If you pocket carry without a holster, regardless of the type of action, your safety problem is….you.
    No mode of carrying is safe without covering the trigger guard completely, even a J frame revolver.

Have to see future posts.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you can't reholster without snagging a shirt, regardless how many years you carried a 1911, you need to do your homework. Your clothing, carry method, and/or skillset need looked at.

That being said, if you're hellbent on creating the illusion of alleviating your software problems with a DAO trigger, is it not still possible to get a KelTec in 9mm anymore, to match the platform you already claim to love?

Your road with the Kahr has already been well-traveled by others. That company has had DECADES to fix their issues, and haven't done it. It is a sh.t company.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Saw this today in my travels and thought of this thread…

IMG_8685.jpeg

You get what you pay for. If this is what they have it listed for, imagine what they gave some poor sap for it in trade.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not that I want this, but just curious where this was?
    See anything good there?
    Range USA Greenwood. They had a used Arex Delta M that looked kind of interesting, I think it was $359 or so. They also have an M&P Compact 2.0 40 marked "Shield" on the tag, so there's that.

I was just browsing, kinda looking to see if they have the FN 510 in yet. They didn't.

Top Bottom