• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I picked up a new Kahr CM9 9mm 6+1 shot 9mm pistol yesterday, along with an extended 7+1 round magazine. Seller was the new Range USA in Mishawaka. It is worth noting that I paid $392 for the gun and magazine, all totaled. That includes a 10% discount for new-member-first-purchases. That is about $50 lower than anything else I could find online. So I start off happy with this gun.

FYI: this is not a shooting review; I haven't gotten that far, yet. Hang on for a week or so.

Initial impressions of the gun itself. Obviously, it is light and small. I expected that. The grip is very thin, but I believe it will be manageable. I shoot a Keltec P32, too. For frame of reference, a Glock 21 G4 fits my hand(s) perfectly. The first thing I did was rack the slide: STIFF!! Really stiff. Again, nothing I did not expect from a micro-9. It is stiffer than the P365, though. The trigger is my main reason for buying this gun; long, smooth, DAO. No stacking, no grit, no nothing. I rate the pull as fantastic. The reset is, as expected, long - almost full release. What I did not expect was the ambiguous-ness of the reset. It feels a little sloppy and imprecise. For the undisciplined, this may lead to short-stroking. I believe (hope) I will be OK. Reach to the trigger is short, and I have an almost completely curled trigger finger at ignition. Ideal? No. But better than my Keltec P32. It ain't no Kimber Custom II.

This morning I racked the slide about 25 times on an empty gun (no mag). I noticed that it felt 'gritty'. I don't usually clean guns before the first range trip. This one NEEDED it. Once apart, I noticed the entire inside of the gun was covered with a fine grey dust. I'm not sure what it was, but it looked and acted like fine machining, or polishing residue. And it was everywhere. After disassembly, thorough cleaning (including magazine which were also dirty), the gun cycles smoothly. I manually racked the slide (empty gun) 200 more times, yes, I counted them. I think the recoil spring has loosened up a bit, but not sure. The gun sure feels a lot better being cleaned and properly lubed.

Issue to notes. There are marks on the left side of the frame to line up for disassembly. They are needed. My old eyes could not see the little nub on the takedown pin. The small size of the gun and the stiff recoil spring add to the difficulty of disassembly. If you are used to a 5" 1911, be prepared for some grip strength exercises. Most of you will be aware the Kahr highly recommends using the slide release instead of sling-shotting the slide on a new full mag. My gun REQUIRES it. In fact, racking the slide on an empty magazine does lock the slide back, BUT removing the mag and attempting to rack the slide does NOT drop the slide. Read that last sentence, again. I hope this clears up with some use; it is a potential SD/Training issue, most certainly. I did some online research which suggests I need to be VERY AGGRESSIVE with manually racking the slide even with a full magazine. My initial thought is to forego that scenario, and use the slide release as the MFR suggests. Consistency and muscle memory and all that.

Speaking of magazines, I disassembled them and they were almost as dirty and gritty as the gun. The spring is stiff, and the internal base-plate (not locking cover) is incredibly small. Well, duh! It is a single-stack. Anyway, the combination makes re-assembly a bit more difficult. Also, the mag release is small, and I HAVE TO break my grip to use it. On top of that, magazines to not 'shoot out' of the gun. They just kind of fall. I hope that improves with use, also. In any event, that is another SD/training issue. Plan on manually extracting magazines, just in case they don't fall away clean. In the heat of a confrontation, an empty mag in the way is certainly a problem.

I have the gun and loaded magazine in my pants pocket right now. I am wearing shorts with an elastic waist band (no belt) and the gun is not pulling my pants off. IIRC, it is 5.3oz lighter than a 10+1 P365, which does pull my pants off.

All-in-all, I am happy with my new CM9. I have deciphered some of the vagaries of this hardware, and will train with it accordingly. It is not significantly different than the Keltec P32 I've been carrying for 20 years. I am looking forward to getting back with my first range report in the next week or so.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not surprised, you found it a bit stiff and gritty initially. Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in before it should be considered reliable (manual p17), and in my experience, it‘s needed. Had a couple of Kahrs before other single stack nine’s were really a thing. Neither had what I consider “carry reliability” until after 200 rounds.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have 2 CM9s. I bought them around 10 years ago and did some posting on them a long time ago. I carried one for 6 or 7 years until I replaced then with the P365. I still carry one occasionally if I think I will get real sweaty or go in the water or something. I never had any problems with them, and really liked the small size for concealment. After years of carry and shooting, they are very sloppy now. They still shoot great, but if they get much sloppier, I would be afraid to shoot them, thinking the slide might fly off. The metal in the plastic frame the slide rides on is not very significant. The P365 is so much more solid. You should get several years of use out of yours. I would recommend an 8 round mag for the spare. Another thing that really helps with shoot ability of the tiny 9 is adding Talon tape to the grip.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I used to own a few Kahrs back in the day when they were the new hotness. Fast forward 25 years or so, and I can't believe that they are still in business. They put Glock to shame with their lack of innovation. Mine weren't all that reliable back then, I can't imagine that the exact same design is any better today. Wring that thing out at the range with plenty of your chosen defensive ammo if that's what you intend to carry.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I remember having one of these, once upon a time. Terrible trigger, unnecessarily difficult to disassemble, and too many manufacturer caveats about its operation.

This is a gun you'll own until you realize striker-fired gun aren't going to "shoot your leg out." Once you realize DAO triggers are completely unnecessary to be safe...and learn to dress around a real gun...your eyes open to the massive number of better options available.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It was my understanding you have to use the sling shot method on Kahr micro pistols after loading a mag otherwise you'll get nose dives on that first round

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I used to own a few Kahrs back in the day when they were the new hotness. Fast forward 25 years or so, and I can't believe that they are still in business. They put Glock to shame with their lack of innovation. Mine weren't all that reliable back then, I can't imagine that the exact same design is any better today. Wring that thing out at the range with plenty of your chosen defensive ammo if that's what you intend to carry.
    It is, and I will. My other carry is a Keltec P32, which is a very reliable mouse gun.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I remember having one of these, once upon a time. Terrible trigger, unnecessarily difficult to disassemble, and too many manufacturer caveats about its operation.

This is a gun you'll own until you realize striker-fired gun aren't going to "shoot your leg out." Once you realize DAO triggers are completely unnecessary to be safe...and learn to dress around a real gun...your eyes open to the massive number of better options available.
    Terrible trigger? One man's poison, and all that. I bought this gun BECAUSE OF THE LONG DAO trigger. It is extremely smooth, relatively light, and long. Just what I wanted. "Difficult to disassemble?" What planet are you on? Retract slide, push out pin, done. Pretty much the same as every 1911 ever made.

I have striker fired guns; they have a place. Pocket carry is NOT one of their places. "Once I realize DAO triggers are unnecessary"? Really, this does sound a bit like, "Its not what I like, so it is wrong.", on your part. I like DAO. I've been shooting revolvers for almost 50 years. "Better options" is your opinion. It is not mine. I carried a full-size 1911 for years. The options you speak of are not better. They are simply different. I have a lot of experience with handguns. I chose DAO pistols because that is what I want. I'm good with you shooting whatever you want. Please allow me the same. My eyes are already wide open.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    It was my understanding you have to use the sling shot method on Kahr micro pistols after loading a mag otherwise you'll get nose dives on that first round
    One of us is confused on terminology. Most likely me. I call grabbing the slide and pulling it back manually, then releasing it to slam forward 'sling-shotting'. Kahr most certainly does NOT recommend doing that. Kahr user manual states very specifically to USE THE SLIDE RELEASE to drop the slide. That is how I intend to use it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Terrible trigger? One man's poison, and all that. I bought this gun BECAUSE OF THE LONG DAO trigger. It is extremely smooth, relatively light, and long. Just what I wanted. "Difficult to disassemble?" What planet are you on? Retract slide, push out pin, done. Pretty much the same as every 1911 ever made.

I have striker fired guns; they have a place. Pocket carry is NOT one of their places. "Once I realize DAO triggers are unnecessary"? Really, this does sound a bit like, "Its not what I like, so it is wrong.", on your part. I like DAO. I've been shooting revolvers for almost 50 years. "Better options" is your opinion. It is not mine. I carried a full-size 1911 for years. The options you speak of are not better. They are simply different. I have a lot of experience with handguns. I chose DAO pistols because that is what I want. I'm good with you shooting whatever you want. Please allow me the same. My eyes are already wide open.
    The Kahr CM9 is striker fired. Now I get that it has a long DAO type trigger as the striker is not precharged, but it is still striker fired.

And the trigger should be covered with a holster, even if pocket carried.

Other than that, to each their own.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Ah, so you carry holster-less in a pocket. My apologies; obviously you are a Pro. Carry on :yesway:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The Kahr CM9 is striker fired. Now I get that it has a long DAO type trigger as the striker is not precharged, but it is still striker fired.

And the trigger should be covered with a holster, even if pocket carried.

Other than that, to each their own.
    Ah, my feeble old brain is at it again. Of course the CM9 is striker fired. I was confusing the short, light pull of the P365 with the heavier, longer pull of the CM9. Both are most certainly striker fired. Just to clarify the 'in my pocket issue'. I have a DeSantis Nemesis holster for the CM9. I can wear light shorts with that setup; it weighs about 17 oz @ 6+1. I have Kydex IWBs for P365 & XL. Both the std and XL weigh enough fully loaded to sag the waistband, and therefore require a belt when carrying. Of course I am wearing a belt when so rigged. The entire purpose of the CM9 is to pocket carry in shorts with no belt, just a drawstring.
    One final point. I have not fired the CM9, yet. It still has a 200 round break-in and SD ammo testing to go. I am walking around the house with it in my pocket to see if the size/weight acts like I expect it to: adequate pocket carry.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Magazine issue.
    Agree 100%. Last year I bought a SCCY CPX-2 G3, looking for a pocket DAO. Nice enough gun. In roughly 400 rounds of FMJ, I never got through an entire magazine w/o a nose-dive. MFR replaced mags, serviced the gun, when both those options failed, I worked on the magazines myself. You just can't fix a WEAK mag spring an idiotic, way too short follower. LGS gave my $75 for it. I was expecting $40. Happy to be rid of it.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    No Kahr’s here. Son has one. He has one he pocket carries because one state he travels through is communist. Lol

My pocket guns were Glocks. G43/43X/G48. I made holsters for them all that had the trigger covered. I’d not carry a pistol that did not have the trigger covered. That’s just asking for trouble.

I will also clarify my statement about pocket carry: Cargo pants pocket carry.
    I made the holsters to fill the base of the pocket so it was always oriented correctly. No guessing on where the butt nor the muzzle of the gun was when needed.

No way that the striker being drawn from completely relaxed to full retraction and the trigger pull be easy to operate accurately. Well, not by most novice shooters anyway. In my opinion.

That being said, when you do get to the range, please post target pictures along with your report.

With the characteristics of a pocket gun, a group shot at 7 yards with support should be pretty small. I’m interested to see yours.
    Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom