My life was in danger. I want my lawyer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Paul, no offense to you or your father, but that sounds like a quick trip from justifiable self defense to a murder charge.

Assuming you are justified to shoot, if the attacker stops attacking, you have to stop shooting. Same thing applies to a fist fight, if the attacker withdraws or gives up, you can't continue to fight him... otherwise you are then also looking at a criminal charge (battery or felony assault).

Oh no offense taken. This is how he explained it to me. If the attacker lives, it is his word against yours. It is much easier to fight your case to the court when the attacker isnt alive. He was trained to shoot 2 shots to the chest and if they keep coming one to the head. Most of the time with 2 well placed shots in the chest, they arent going to live.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    actually, if you talk to any ER personnel they'll tell you something like 80% of gunshot wound victims survive.

but that whole body-dragging, better make sure they're dead speech is ********. like i said, if you shoot someone you're going to jail and chances are some charges will be files. it's better to make damned sure your life is in danger when you draw that gun.

consequences:
    • you're getting your guns taken from you
    • you get to see what jail is like
    • you lose lots of money to lawyers
    • and of course the trauma of knowing you shot another human being.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "Officer, I want to assist you with your investigation, but I would like to consult with my lawyer first."

I read somewhere (possibly Brian Ciyou's book) that when they read you your Miranda rights and then ask if you understand them, you should answer "no". The comment was that you'll be so pumped on adrenaline that you'll probably barely understand your own name, and if the finest legal minds have been arguing your rights for decades, what makes you think you'll understand your rights during a time of extreme stress?

I don't know what effect saying "no" will ultimately have on the outcome of your case.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Although I will agree that a dead intruder will be less "hassle" than a wounded one, that does NOT mean you need to manipulate the circumstances to that end.

And as far as body-dragging, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure out that you dragged a dead guy from your yard into your house. Then they will DEFINATELY have reason to believe it wasn't self-defense, when indeed it may have been.

Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    I would skip the body dragging :+1: That is asking for problems

And as far as body-dragging, I'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure out that you dragged a dead guy from your yard into your house. Then they will DEFINATELY have reason to believe it wasn't self-defense, when indeed it may have been.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    This is one of the areas that I think Michigan does better than Indiana by a long shot. In Michigan you have to take some sort of class to get your carry permit. Most of the time it's the NRA Personal Protection class with the Michigan specific stuff thrown in. Anyway, there is a legal section of the class where a lawyer comes in and explains your legal rights if you ever have to use a handgun in self defense, and answers any questions the students have. So not only do you have a better idea of what's involved, but you have the name of a very pro-gun attorney.

Oh and for the record, I used to hate the fact that you were required to spend money and take a class to get a carry permit. But after seeing some people shoot and hearing their attitudes on concealed carry I have changed my mind somewhat....

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It's over 95% for handgun wounds in the USA.

I wonder how many of those cases were multiple shots to the thorax.

As far as lawyer recommendation, Dr. Ciyou is top notch. He helped me with a case without charging a dime. :rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder how many of those cases were multiple shots to the thorax.

That I don't know, but it should shift the number in the other direction, for sure.

I do know that it includes suicide attempts (most of which are head wounds), for what it's worth.

It goes to the fact that handgun bullets are puny, slow, and ineffective. The only reason to use them is because you have nothing better (i.e. you can always have it with you) at the time. It also underscores the absolute necessity of good shot placement and being able to deliver multiple rounds where you want them to go as quickly as you can.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That I don't know, but it should shift the number in the other direction, for sure.

I would think so as well. If my memory serves me correctly, last year, two gentlemen fired over ten rounds each at each other in front of Dream Weavers. Results: One had his lip grazed by a bullet, while the other was shot in the little toe. :lmfao:

I fully agree with your latter point as well.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom