My first online gun buying experience...yuck.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    My first (and probably last) online gun purchase is about to drive me crazy. How long does it normally take to do a FFL transfer? FYI - I am purposefully not stating the business name.

I bought a rifle from Gunbroker, chose a very local ( 10min from my house) FFL from their preferred list. Sent the FFL an email and carefully followed his websites instructions (btw..I have still yet to recieve an answer from any one of my emails).
    The seller shipped the rifle and sent me the UPS tracking # (it was sent to the address the FFL specified on his website). Next day I get an alert that they couldn't deliver it because the address doesn't exist? The seller and I both call the FFL (neither got a reply). I tracked down his INGO profile and sent him a message about the UPS issue. He called me and said he would contact UPS and call me right back (never called me back). The next day (last thursday) the package was delivered. I called/emailed/texted him to set up an appointment to get my gun (no reply). Saturday morning (2 days later) I get a call from him saying he had a "very limited window" for me to come in and do the transfer. I told him I was currently about an hour away but would get back ASAP. We met at his office and I filled out the paperwork. He called it in and was put on hold for over an hour listening to the NICS recording. He couldn't wait any longer (I agree... that call hold time sucked for both of us). He said he would have to try again later that day and call me back. I agreed...the hold time seemed endless but... he never called me back even after I waited until later that night to call and text him asking what happened.

Monday morning (2 days later) I get a text from him "I have no update. I get put on hold. I'll try again today" and..... he never called me back. I have called/email and texted him begging for a status update and now going on 3 days later I still have no respnse (approved? delayed? or I still havn't messed with it?)

I now know I definitley should have called and spoken to the FFL first HARD LESSON LEARNED! Even though the website made it look like a regular business, it appears this more or less a side hobby. If you are busy..I get it. If you know you aren't going to be able to do anything with it.. why not send me a courtesy response? I feel like I am badgering this guy with texts/email begging for an update. I can't even leave him a voicemail...his business number mailbox has been full since friday.
    Is this how this process usually goes down? If everything would have just gone as planned, I would have walked away happy (saving over $200 including shipping and fees). If I am just being an impatient ass, tell me to shut up... I can take it.

Last edited:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Sounds to me like a poor [strike]FFL[/strike] dealer*. Sorry for your luck in that regard, but many, many, many people buy online and go the transfer route without any issues. I wish you'd name the [strike]FFL[/strike] dealer* to maybe spare someone else the hassle. Voicemail is full, you don't get email answers....wow that is terrible! Please save someone else this same fate by naming the [strike]FFL[/strike] dealer*!

*Thanks JettaKnight for the clarification on FFL vs. dealer.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm kinda with level0 on this.

Usually the crux of these problems are a result of non-contact before shipping. Assuming I read this right, you contacted the dealer* and the dealer gave the go-ahead to have it shipped, then there's no reason for this behavior.

When getting something shipped to a local dealer, I don't expect to possess the firearm within one week - just the nature of the business. This is part of the reason I got an FFL03.

Also, may another dealer can chime in, but are long hold times the norm now?

* Dealers are people and businesses, FFL's are pieces of paper. - INGO OCD Team

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    I placed the order on Gunbroker and paid for it on 9/24. I sent him an email with all the sale info. This was the only posted directions he had on his site. The first delivery attempt was on 9/29(to his old address). It was finally delivered and signed for on 10/1. If my expectations are wrong then I admit it. I just wish there were more (any) communication. Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since I placed the order. An email or phone call seems well beyond appropriate.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I think you need to out the INGO dealer. This is very bad.

ETA: Honestly, now that your dates have changed, it isn't that bad. You had August dates, now they are Sept/Oct dates. The lack of communication can happen and is definitely something I don't like, but this isn't all that bad.

As a side note, how many dealers still call in through NICS instead of going online? I had figured online was easier and quicker...

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A brick and mortar store owning dealer has a lot more time to be engaged in the business than a part time guy. They usually charge a little more to offset that overhead. Not every money saving situation is convenient. When I am spending over a grand for a special order item, I figure an extra $10 or $15 is a small price to pay.

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    A brick and mortar store owning dealer has a lot more time to be engaged in the business than a part time guy. They usually charge a little more to offset that overhead. Not every money saving situation is convenient. When I am spending over a grand for a special order item, I figure an extra $10 or $15 is a small price to pay.

I hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately, I thought it was a brick and mortar. The website looked like it was an actual business. His posted transfer fee was the same as all the rest. I chose him merely out of location. I drive by his office coming and going to work every day. Seemed easy enough.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I ordered a rifle from Kentucky Gun Company and had it sent to USDS. Not a single problem. I was kept in the loop with shipping/tracking info and got a call when it was ready to pick up. $15 and a 4473 later and it's all mine.

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    I ordered a rifle from Kentucky Gun Company and had it sent to USDS. Not a single problem. I was kept in the loop with shipping/tracking info and got a call when it was ready to pick up. $15 and a 4473 later and it's all mine.

Thanks!
    I have read nothing but good things about USDS. It may be a bit of a drive for me but they seem to carry a good reputation.

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    I think you need to out the INGO dealer. This is very bad.

ETA: Honestly, now that your dates have changed, it isn't that bad. You had August dates, now they are Sept/Oct dates. The lack of communication can happen and is definitely something I don't like, but this isn't all that bad.

As a side note, how many dealers still call in through NICS instead of going online? I had figured online was easier and quicker...

As soon as I posted that I realized I typed in the wrong dates!
    My bad :(

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Two weeks is a bit long.
    I've only had one purchase that took more than two days.

And that was the result of a misdelivery and scheduling conflicts between me and my FFL.

That one took about three weeks, over the Christmas holidays.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately, I thought it was a brick and mortar. The website looked like it was an actual business. His posted transfer fee was the same as all the rest. I chose him merely out of location. I drive by his office coming and going to work every day. Seemed easy enough.

Now I'm confused.

So you drive by all the time, yet don't know if it's a "brick and mortar" place?

So, first, how are we defining "brick and mortar". I always thought B&M meant physical storefront where you can walk in. Because as many on INGO can tell you, getting an FFL01 requires an actual, physical business location (which could be your house). I don't believe that fixed business hours are required.

Give it a little more time. If two weeks pass from the end of auction and you still don't have your gun, then raise a stink. Wait, that's tomorrow. OK, come back tomorrow. :):

Customer service is a lost art. (That wrongly implies we had that art at one time) Many people don't know the new etiquette for email communications in this context. Rule #1 is send something back ASAP, not ASAIGATI*. It can be as simple as, "I'll look in to it.", just something that shows you take your customers' concerns seriously.

* As soon as I get around to it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think a lot of dealers still use the phone because (A) they've always done it that way, and (B) they're afraid of Big Brother and think phones are inherently immune to data collection.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My FFL works out of his garage and is on an appointment only schedule too. He is very responsive though. Communication is the key. Between IMs, phones, email and test messages I never have any trouble contacting him. It usually takes a day or two for our schedules to sync up, but nothing crazy.

Whoever you do business with, it is good to get some kind of relationship with them.

sparks71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Noblesville
    Now I'm confused.

So you drive by all the time, yet don't know if it's a "brick and mortar" place?

So, first, how are we defining "brick and mortar". I always thought B&M meant physical storefront where you can walk in. Because as many on INGO can tell you, getting an FFL01 requires an actual, physical business location (which could be your house). I don't believe that fixed business hours are required.

To clarify, I drive by the address every day. I see the office building where his office is located. There is a small amount of signage. It looked legit when I went to his website.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I did my diets gunbroker purchase a couple weeks ago. Bought and paid for on Thursday. Picked it up Monday.

Top Bottom