My boy's first trip to the range! (Atlanta CC & Elwood CC)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Well, after much reflection and preparation, I decided that today would be my boy's first trip to the range. FWIW, he's 7, about to start 2nd grade and responded like a champ!

We started off the day by visiting the Atlanta Conservation Club's Open House. Looks like a great place to shoot and the people were as nice as could be. We spent the most time with the SASS people, and that was interesting. He thought it was very cool to see the Old West outfits on those shooters. I think he was also amazed to see a kid just a few years older than him in full western regalia, sporting some shootin irons! "Is he gonna shoot?" the cowboy kid asked me. I told him we were just watching today, as I wanted his first shot to be out of the Crickett I picked up at Gander Mountain recently. ($99!!!) Cowboy kid probably thought, "Great, another suburban AR puke in the making!" :laugh:

We also spent some time at the NSSF area and talked to some great people about the FIRSTSHOTS program. After that presentation, he tugged on my shirt and said, "When do we get to go to the other place?" (meaning ECC) I took that as our cue to leave, since think IDPA would have been lost on him...

We started off on the 25-yard range at Elwood, but that was way too much for him. He made contact with some old juice bottles we brought, but wanted to keep checking targets since he was really excited, plus we couldn't see that far with the overcast sky. I was so focused on him loading, extracting and shooting, I could never spot well enough for him to give him high/low/left/right feedback. That being the case, we moved to the 7-yard pistol range and he enjoyed that much more, since it was easy to spot where you were on the paper and when we did check our empty V8 bottle, it didn't take two minutes to walk up and back to do it. Oh...special thanks to the anonymous guy who had been on the 25-yard range and basically took a long break to let us have the run of the place -- we appreciate it!

I have his first shell case (and 2nd!) and we'll likely keep it in a special place. He also made it a point to collect as much of his brass as he could, without me even bringing it up. Maybe he's got a future as an RO or reloader based on this? :): (and yes, I know you don't reload 22LR...)

We spent two hours there before we decided to quit and head home. As we were loading the trunk he said, "So, are you giving me this gun or just letting me use it?" Since he has three siblings, I told him it was a "family" rifle for the time being to not start a **** storm with the others.

Overall, it was a great experience and he's already asked, "When do we get to go shooting again?" Looks like I will need to get a few more bricks of 22 this week, which is OK with me!

Here are some photos of Juan Miguel in action:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Miguel, this is a wonderful day for you and your son. I'm glad you both had an enjoyable time. I noticed that he shrank a little from the last time I saw him.

picture.php
    :laugh:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Outfreakinstanding. :yesway:

Looking forward to my own son's first shots someday soon!

I am still thrilled about today, even three hours after we came home. So is he!

While I had been thinking about it for some time, this thread really made me think harder: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/99851-how_old_is_old_enough.html

I had read it the day it was posted and recalled the comment about Mssr Ayoob apparently saying that if a kid is taking care of a pet, they're possibly ready to shoot. Oddly, I noticed my boy starting to truly "look out" for the family dog recently and decided, that the "right time" was pending.

Turned out great and now I don't have to shoot alone. :ar15:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Miguel, this is a wonderful day for you and your son. I'm glad you both had an enjoyable time. I noticed that he shrank a little from the last time I saw him.

picture.php
    :laugh:

Man, that's cold! :laugh:

Funny you say that, I've actually lost 16 lbs. since the GSSF event. On a new diet and working out with dumb bells thanks to a workout plan a friend wrote up for me. I may be even smaller next year!

p.s. PM that photo if you have a larger version of it. Otherwise, I'll just save this one.

Orlando

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Tipton
    Not trying to hijack your thread but I was out there today too. I went there by my self and after going through the First Shots I had to go home and get one of my kids. It was his first time shooting anything but a BB gun. Congrats on your trip as well. It was a blast out there!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Great job. Including Orlando, this makes three of you who took your kids out for the first time today! And I'm not even halfway down the page yet! Truly, this is what will make these kids responsible citizens and gun owners in the future, and just plain good folks. Way to raise 'em right, dads!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's is awesome man. I'm always glad to see people getting their kids involved, and teaching them gun safety. I hope that if I ever have kids, that they will take a liking to shooting. :rockwoot:

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Glad you guys had a great day!! I'm 23 and I still remember the very first time my dad took me shooting. You made some wonderful memories today for both him and you. Nice to see you teaching safe and responsibly also while having tons of fun. :yesway:

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    OMG! He'll grow up to be a deranged clock-tower sniper! ;)

Nice job, Dad. Nothing better than taking one's young sons shooting. They'll always remember it. :yesway:

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    Thats an awesome story... Brings me back to the first time my dad took me shooting, and the first gun he ever got me (I think i was about 10).

Top Bottom