• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Here is an update on my AR-15 project.
    I added a Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope and two 30 rnd pmags.
    Going shooting with it this next weekend. :D

jl-scott

xqbz94.jpg

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I was able to shoot 150 rounds with new Rock River today, and got the red dot scoped in at 50 yards (the range was only 50 yards). One question for anybody that can answer. Using plain Federal .223 55 grain FMJ in a 16" 1:9 barrel, I was hiting the red center of a 8x8 target at 50yards with 1 inch groups. Using this information, How much of a drop should I see at 100 yards? In other words, how high would I aim to hit the red center at 100 yards, with the red dot scoped in at 50 yards? BTW, everybody is right about this becoming addictive! :D

jl-scott

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    got the red dot scoped in at 50 yards

Good job zeroing at 50 yards. Your point-of-aim and point-of-impact will now be close at 50 yards and at 200 yards.

These might also be helpful:

AR15Zero.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klvve0ZG_jo&NR=1[/ame]

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    While you will wish to set your sights at the farthest distance possible, as a 1/2 inch off at 50 yards is two inches at 200 yards, like the esrice pointed out a 50 yard zero is nominally on at 200 yard zero and a good choice for most AR15 applications.

If you zero at 25 yards then you would be nominally zeroed at 300 yards ... which is a little far for most casual shooting with an AR15 w/o some type of sight adjustment (i.e. A2 iron sights, Bullet Drop Compensating sights, Mill Dots, External Turrets etc.)

You will find that different ammo (or even different lots of the same ammo to a lesser degree typically) will shoot to a different point of aim. Additionally how you hold the rifle plus how/on what / where you rest the front and/or rear of the rifle also effects the point of impact. When the rifle gets warm to hot the point of impact may also change and/or the groups open up (i.e. a clean gun, one with a few round through it and one that has been shot hard may all shoot differently and something worth knowing).

Have you started shopping for the next AR15 yet?

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the information JTinIN! No, I'm not shopping for another AR yet! :) I'm still planning / getting accessorizes for this one. I have to let my pocketbook catch up. :)

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Good question AmericanBob! I haven't looked into the BAD levers yet. Can anybody give some good and bad points on them?

jl-scott :ingo:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It depends on what you are going to do with the gun. They help if you do a tactical carbine type class. Shooting cans or shooting off of a bench they don't help much. I like mine.

Top Bottom