• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • choppers

Plinker
    Dec 12, 2009
    Just got my 1st muzzleloader for christmas. Was wanting some opinions on which type of pellets to use, pyrodex, triple 7, or white hots its suposed to burn cleaner? I dont like wasting money on crap that dont work.

builder_one

Plinker
    Sep 21, 2010
    Depends, is it an inline or an old timey percussion lock? For an inline you can use pretty much any type of black powder approved substitute you prefer (pelletized varieties included). I have an old school percussion lock and use granulated pyrodex, it works very well and is much less costly pound for pound than pellets (if you buy some speed loaders you will come out way ahead cost wise with little extra time involved using granulated powder). I haven't used 777 or white hots though simply since they are not designed for the ignition system on my rifle but have read very good results from them from people who have inline type rifles.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Ummmm, muzzleloader = black powder? Maybe that is a good place to start?

Sure there are modern propellants, and I'm sure you will learn all about them. You might even waste some money in the process, but don't you like to just shoot? As much as you can and as often as you can? Try em all. See what you like and all that entails?

If you are just going to take a recommendation from some guy on the internet, shoot it once, then put it away, that is kind of sad.

BTW, I have never encountered Crap that don't work.

I hope you have fun along the way.....

Sincerely.

Last edited:

choppers

Plinker
    Dec 12, 2009
    My bad i guess i forgot to mention its a breakover inline that uses the 209 primer.

choppers

Plinker
    Dec 12, 2009
    Well i was refering to the white hots. It's claim is it burns cleaner & less residue, but i read on another forum its a bunch of crap. I like to shoot as much as the next guy but i can shoot other guns cheaper & that are also easier to clean. This is gonna be sight in the scope & then just hunt with it. I also was told triple 7 was a hotter pellet. Just like to get as much info from others before i start.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Look into trying some buckhorn 209. 777 can leave barrel more fouled & leave a crud ring in barrel making 2 or 3 shot very hard to load. Not a problem with buckhorn 209.
    May want to move thread or use general firearm section sticky thread about muzzleloaders.

Last edited:

ruger7722

Expert
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    with 777 i can get 20 shots w/ out cleaning.thats shooting powerbelts.traditions break action.i just went to 45 cal...i got loads of 777 pellets,if your close to indy i would give you a pack of 50 cal pellets to try.i cant find 45 cal. conicals anywhere,but i am going to stick w/ 45 cal..i always used two 777 pellets per shot

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    If your rifle setup will shoot it, I would highly recommend Blackhorn 209. Check with the manufacturer.

choppers

Plinker
    Dec 12, 2009
    Thanks so far to everyone who has something positive to say. To redneckmedic my one post was directed toward sloughfoot who i thought had nothing important to say.... not you. To buckhunterbb & huntmeister where do you get the blackhorn 209 at? & to rugar7722 that would really be nice of you. i live just southwest of indy & have you tried gander mountain or the outdoorsman on 135 south of smithvalley road? I could have sworn i saw some .45 cal conicals at one of those two places.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    Gander Mtn and The Outdoorsman are carrying BH209. Not sure how stock is right now though. I did see some at the castleton GM last week.

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a Rossi with a 23" (short) barrel .50 cal; I did not like the way the pyrodex pellets shot - it was either too much or not enough - so I switched to loose powder pyrodex RS ... 65 gr / charge ... and it shoots great - the powder will let you dial in your load to what works best for you over the pellets; but the pellets are convenient. I plan to try the Blackhorn 209 when I get low on pryodex powder and / or when my son-in-law (same Rossi) is out of Pellets (he is trying to use them up) - whichever happens first.

From what I have read - it (BH209) generates faster MV for same powder, and it is FAR easier to clean than anything else, PLUS less corrosive. last time I saw it at Gander Mt. it was $34.xx for a container. I don't know the size, but it would be enough to last me a few seasons, and when I sight it it, I usually try to get A FEW good (1 MOA, done 1 sub MOA) groups.

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    Please put blackpowder topics in the trial black powder forum It will help all smokepole shooters so we can have our own area to post. The more interest shown in the blackpowder forum under general firearms disscussion the better. Thanks

Last edited:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    From what I've seen, it's personal preference. Some hate Pyrodex with a passion, while others love it beyond belief. My advice is to use a few pellets of each if you have friends that use different brands. It'll give you a chance to try each one without dropping $20 each time.

I use Goex black powder for my shooting, cleans up super easy with Windex & vinegar combo. Remember that "black powder substitute" doesn't mean "smokeless" powder, you still have to CLEAN the gun when you're done!

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Feb 4, 2009
    In a modern inline (Omega) I use loose 777. tried pellets and just didn't get the accuracy out of them I can in loose powder. For my traditional smokepoles I use regular old fashioned black powder.

cgbills

Marksman
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I shoot Black Horn 209 in my muzzle loader. It burns a lot cleaner than 777 or Pyrodex. One thing to keep in mind with Black Horn 209 is you NEED a hotter primer. I shoot Remington STS primers outs of mine. Trust me I learned this first hand. I bought a box of Winchester 209 primers and for the life of me could not understand why about 1 out of every 3 times I would shoot my muzzleloader with the Winchesters it would not go off. Did some reading and found out that BH 209 ignites hotter than 777 or Pyrodex. I switched to the Rem STS primers and never had a problem. Another reason I like BH209 is shooting loose powder allows for a more consistent powder loading than with pellets because those pellets can loose bits and pieces of powder off them effecting consistency of the load.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    In a modern inline (Omega) I use loose 777. tried pellets and just didn't get the accuracy out of them I can in loose powder. For my traditional smokepoles I use regular old fashioned black powder.

I found i get better accuracy from 777 loose powder as well.
    I think the crud ring problem people complain about with 777 comes from using 777 primers. I switched to 209A primers and can get 4 or 5 shots in, though when on the range I still swab and lube after every shot.
    I've never tried BH209, but I'm happy enough with 777 that i don't really care to switch.

willie69

Plinker
    Jan 4, 2011
    the pellets of pyrdox are a bit pricey but seem to deliver a consistent shot they are not the cleanest but i'll use mine up before i try something new good luck

Top Bottom