• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shotbyspike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Sellersburg
    So where do you all buy you're mre's at? I'd like to get some to start my bug out kit. Also what are the suggestions for other options instead of mre's. I know wally world had something called an EZ meal for disaster areas.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We use to get ours at Army Surplus stores. There's one specifically in Richmond, Indiana called Army & Navy Store. I'm not sure where other ones are around here.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    +1 on ebay. Always ask for the dates on the packaging.

Try to avoid the pork patties (if they still have them). I had one in my pack and ended up using the patty as a skeet target at my friend's orchard. :D That is after we soaked it for 5 hours in water....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are options to MREs you can get anywhere that sells groceries. Some may not be packaged as well as MREs, but if it's for your home supplies, they will do nicely.

The one that comes to mind are Hormel "Compleats." They used to be Dinty Moore, but now the brand on the package is Hormel. They come packed in a plastic tray with a very sturdy plastic film over the top inside of a carboard sleeve with all of the info on it. The intent is to heat them in the microwave, but . . . if you have no power for your micro, you can heat them just as well by immersing it in hot water ... just like you might do an MRE pouch. It's like those old "boil in bag" entrees that were popular before the advent of the microwave oven made them obsolete. They do not require refrigeration and should last in storage quite a while before they become significantly less palatable.

Another option is meats that are packaged in mylar bags, such as chunked chicken breast and (gag!) tuna. No refrigeration necessary and quite a bit lighter and easier to carry than a can. I think the flavor is better than canned too.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    There are options to MREs you can get anywhere that sells groceries. Some may not be packaged as well as MREs, but if it's for your home supplies, they will do nicely.

The one that comes to mind are Hormel "Compleats." They used to be Dinty Moore, but now the brand on the package is Hormel. They come packed in a plastic tray with a very sturdy plastic film over the top inside of a carboard sleeve with all of the info on it. The intent is to heat them in the microwave, but . . . if you have no power for your micro, you can heat them just as well by immersing it in hot water ... just like you might do an MRE pouch. It's like those old "boil in bag" entrees that were popular before the advent of the microwave oven made them obsolete. They do not require refrigeration and should last in storage quite a while before they become significantly less palatable.

Another option is meats that are packaged in mylar bags, such as chunked chicken breast and (gag!) tuna. No refrigeration necessary and quite a bit lighter and easier to carry than a can. I think the flavor is better than canned too.
    These "Compleats" sound like the old "Top Shelf" meals that I used to eat. They weren't too bad. :dunno:
    :cheers:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Spam Spam Spam Spam SpamSpam Spam Spam Spam SpamSpam Spam Spam Spam SpamSpam Spam Spam Spam SpamSpam Spam Spam Spam Spam

Come on, you know the song....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nothing ever beat MRE peanut butter or cheese spread to "cork" things up until you found that nice low-hanging smooth tree branch that was "throne worthy." :D
    Just remember to keep a can of fruit available for timely uncorking.;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom