• ...and so much more!
  • Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Thanks for all the replies. Wife and I are looking forward to moving there. Been doing volunteer work at Quaker Haven camp for several years. Both daughters have been on staff there. We plan on attending Dewart Lake Church.

When I retire in a few months, I plan on volunteering 2-3 days a week at the camp. The rest of the time will be for projects, shooting, kayaking, bike riding, book reading and whatever else my wife dreams up. Also want to upgrade my amatuer radio licence to General.

Wife is from Goshen and has lots of family there. I like the fact that we are far enough away, that they won't be "dropping in". I like them, but sometimes I don't know how to relate to them. Her family is like the Clevers. Mine was more like the Mansons (most are now long dead pill-billies).
    Am neighbor to Dewart/ Quaker Haven 20B3294E-804E-499C-96AA-1CBA04F16F6F.png on Waubee

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Any recomendations regarding local banks to open a checking account? Our bank here in Howard county has no branches that far north. Would like to use a local bank and not a mega- bank.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    +1 for Lake City. Ive had my rewards checking with them since i was 18. I dont have direct deposit and dont get charged any fees. I actually made like $.27 last month in interest lol. My savings is also with them, if i really need to i can transfer money go my checking through the app.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Grew up in Country Club in the shadow of the WRSW towers. Really nice hometown. Dad and sibs live there still. Good fishing on Winona Lake. Gills, crappie, largemouth and they stock walleye.

Boathouse has really good food, Creighton Brothers for breakfast. The Downtown has killer seafood bread (among a lot of other good food. The Downtown Is definitely a must. Tell Tommy Stocks says hi.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Lake City. We have even moved investments from a well known national service to theirs and have their estate service set up to handle ours when the time comes. Everything now under 1 roof.

As touched on prior, many good places to eat within city or a short drive. Where you go just depends on what you want to eat

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Lake City. We have even moved investments from a well known national service to theirs and have their estate service set up to handle ours when the time comes. Everything now under 1 roof.

As touched on prior, many good places to eat within city or a short drive. Where you go just depends on what you want to eat
    Thanks! Did not know that Lake City also offered estate service. That was another feature we were looking for.

Spent the weekend getting our Greentown house ready to sell. Met with a realitor and dived into chores. Pressure washed the vinyl privacy fence and out buildings. Wife started sorting through to cupboards and closets, making a pile of stuff to take to Goodwill. Hope to put our house on the market in two weeks. Will be very glad when all this is behind us.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    Lived at Dewart Lake until I was about 7. Moved to Warsaw And stayed there until about 23. Still consider that home even though gone for 40 years. Great town. Good people. Grew up running around with Lock, Stocks and Barrel.

Where at on the south side? Shady Crest area?

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Moved into our Warsaw home yesterday. Had several friends with trucks and enclosed cargo trailers help us make the move in one day.

Still have to go back to our old house to clean out the sheds. We close out the sale of our Greentown house on 21 Oct.

Our daughter who lives at Dewart Lake dropped in last night. She had not made it down to Howard County since March, due to her schedule. Other daughter is only one hour away.

We are only 40 minutes from my wife's family in Goshen. Just far enough away that they cannot just "drop-in". This will be a good retirement location for us.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Moved into our Warsaw home yesterday. Had several friends with trucks and enclosed cargo trailers help us make the move in one day.

Still have to go back to our old house to clean out the sheds. We close out the sale of our Greentown house on 21 Oct.

Our daughter who lives at Dewart Lake dropped in last night. She had not made it down to Howard County since March, due to her schedule. Other daughter is only one hour away.

We are only 40 minutes from my wife's family in Goshen. Just far enough away that they cannot just "drop-in". This will be a good retirement location for us.

We officially moved out of Warsaw today, so balance is restored to the universe, lol.

I’m really going to miss it. We were only there a short while, and I was gone half that time anyway, but I quickly learned to love the small town atmosphere and pace. I hope you love it as much as I did!

Top Bottom