• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    if you work downtown there is also the Chicagodash bus out of Valpo if you want to commute. I am in Valpo and used to drive to the southside everyday for work before getting a new job here in Indiana. The drive isn't too bad and well worth living in Indiana and being able to protect yourself and your family then the terrible laws in ILL.

Money17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I won't be living or working in Cook county and really don't want a long commute to work from Indiana. We have found several decent areas south west of Chicago so I will suck it up and pay the taxes. It is a great opportunity for my family and I and, hey, nothing is permanent so we can always come back to Indiana.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to have some dealings in that state. I could never have imagined it before then, but it put me in mind of "Escape from New York" on a statewide scale. It's not just Chicago; even the parts of the state you don't think of as too bad are f'in crazy. I'll spend an hour going through Chicago to get to WI, but there is NO other reason I would cross that border. I'd seriously look into a ferry to WI.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I used to have some dealings in that state. I could never have imagined it before then, but it put me in mind of "Escape from New York" on a statewide scale. It's not just Chicago; even the parts of the state you don't think of as too bad are f'in crazy. I'll spend an hour going through Chicago to get to WI, but there is NO other reason I would cross that border. I'd seriously look into a ferry to WI.
    Too bad there isn't a ferry to go from WI to IN. I know the one from WI to MI, but that is sort of out of the way.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Stay in NWI but not Gary.

If all else fails there are many here (including me) willing to "hold on to your guns" while in exile. I would really have a hard time moving to IL. Sorry you have to move just to put food on the table.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    AS much as I hate it, my job is moving me near Chicago this fall :(. I have had my LTCH for just over a year now and it will become void in Ill. I haven't had time to read up on Ill. guns laws but from what I have heard, they aren't good. I was told that I will have to register all of my guns, including long guns. Does anybody know any gunowners in Ill? If so how bad is it?

Congrats on the job, condolences on the location..

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    What is the tax hit for working in Chicago, but living in IN? Do you still have to pay IL Income Tax?
    The taxes you pay in to ill are taken as a credit on your IN taxes. Be aware, ill income taxes are higher than IN; I don't remember how the refund works.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I won't be living or working in Cook county and really don't want a long commute to work from Indiana. We have found several decent areas south west of Chicago so I will suck it up and pay the taxes. It is a great opportunity for my family and I and, hey, nothing is permanent so we can always come back to Indiana.

Best of Luck to you and your family! It is good to have work.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

:faint: Don't do it. You are better off commutting not only for the firearm aspect but the taxes as well. Plus not sure if you have little ones but the school system in IL (especially Cook County) is worse than INs. There are some expection for the higher end neighboords (naperville, libertyville come to mind).

BTW if you are set on moving to IL you MUST get your FOID card BEFORE you can move your guns to your new place in IL. So your guns & AMMO must stay behind in IN somewhere.

Listen to those of us that left the state, work in the state, etc. THE COMMUTE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN LIVING THERE. You are going to have to commute either way.

The taxes you pay in to ill are taken as a credit on your IN taxes. Be aware, ill income taxes are higher than IN; I don't remember how the refund works.

As of 01 JAN 2011 IL's income tax rate is 5%.
    As of 01 JAN 2011 IN's income tax rate is 3.4%

So what will occur for many of us who pay into both is IN will always owe us ~1.6% back. :D I'm still trying to figure out that magic number of 1.8% taxes so that IN gives me back < $50. I "had" the IL # figured out to where I only owed them < $10 but with the change that occured last year with them I think I'm going to owe them < $50 this time around.

-Jedi

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    This is a depressing thread. Hard to believe so much changes when you cross the magical line between our great state and (insert favorite slang derogatory word for Illinois).
    I prefer IllANNOY as my favorite. but that comes from me being a Hoosier fan haha.is it not crazy that less than an hour and a half from downtown indy it is like you are in another country, really scary if you think about it.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    That sucks man. I live down state in In. right next to Il. The Lawrence county abuts the Wabash river as does Knox co. It would be cheaper for me to live in Lawrence co. Il. it's not as developed or as populted as Knox [and full of deer]but I made the decision years ago that my 2A rights trumped living cheaper.
    Best of luck with your move.

Top Bottom