• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We built this house in 2020 I’ve still got a big pile of boxes in the garage from our last home of 18 years I’ve never unpacked.

I think we all carry to much baggage, I’ve threatened many times to call in a dumpster. But then I think I’ll have a garage sale, ya rite!! That just means moving all that stuff again then call in a dumpster and move it once more.
    :wallbash:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Movers left at 6:20. We ate dinner then unloaded our trailer. Got that done right before the rain hit.

Stuff is everywhere. House is hot from being open for hours. But I can get to bed, try to sleep, and go to work tomorrow and wonder where everything got put.

Wish I could afford to pay movers to pay, move, and unpack. Or skip the unpack - just pack and move it.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    5 moves in 10yrs of service. I know the pain and don’t look forward to it next year when I gotta pay outta pocket instead of Uncle Sam lol.

Lejeune to Indiana to fort lee to Richmond VA, to Lejeune and back to Indiana now that I’m out.

my body ain’t meant to move 11k lbs of **** so I’m getting a company (my PCS here truck showed 10883lbs lol.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I feel your pain, movers. I’m doing it again at the end of the month. Luckily, the apartment I’ve been in for a year has never felt like home so I didn’t unpack everything. Didn’t even build any of the IKEA furniture because I just didn’t expect to stay here and it’s a lot easier to move while still in boxes. When they raised the rent 14% that sealed the deal. Friends of mine have a nice little privately-owned apartment they offered to lease to me, so time to move again. They told me they hope I’m there for 20 years. I hope so, too.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When we moved last. I thought we could move in 3 days. Wife had spent the last month packing which really left just the furniture and the few things we needed out.

Rented a box truck, had my pickup and trailer, a box truck witha lift gate, amd parents suv.

We parted ways with the rented box truck after 4 days. And I think it was a 6 day move. Most of it was because of the layout of the new place... everything had to gk in the backdoor. My help was my wife and mom... fun times I tell you.

Ontop of moving that week also did a kitchen renovation that was suppose to be just a sink and faucet. Pulling the old sink broke the counter top. Removed that and the cabinet came with it.

We've acquired alot of stuff but we have given away a ton as well.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My brother has moved numerous times over the years, so much so that he has sealed boxes with multiple moving stickers that never get opened before the next move.

He recently had a move that put me close enough that I could help him unpack. My favorite moment was when I opened a box that had another box in it along with a bunch of packing paper. I opened that box to discover that it was full of packing paper with nothing else in it! It had 3 moving stickers on it attesting to the fact that an empty box inside of another box had been moved across country multiple times.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    My brother has moved numerous times over the years, so much so that he has sealed boxes with multiple moving stickers that never get opened before the next move.

He recently had a move that put me close enough that I could help him unpack. My favorite moment was when I opened a box that had another box in it along with a bunch of packing paper. I opened that box to discover that it was full of packing paper with nothing else in it! It had 3 moving stickers on it attesting to the fact that an empty box inside of another box had been moved across country multiple times.
    Lmao half my stuff has multiple DMO moving stickers on it. I think there’s 4 on the bottom of my couches

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The last time I moved (truly the last time). I rented a storage unit for a month and packed as much stuff as I could in a 10x25, then on the day of the move, the rest of everything went into a U-Haul 26' truck....and then it was another 2 weeks to empty the storage unit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I counted up all the times I've moved or changed addresses in my adult life and have at least 18 moves in the past 24 years. That doesn't include the times I put stuff in storage for a short while. The longest I lived at one address was four years.

Yes, moving sucks. The last time I did it I finally broke down and hired a moving company. I'm getting too old to be lifting furniture and asking buddies to help me move in exchange for free pizza and beer.

I'm looking to buy a house in the next year or two and I hope that move is the last one for a while. I may have to make a mini-move first for a few months, but the house purchase will hopefully set me up to be in one spot for at least a decade.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Good luck! I'm also in the process of moving, and because I'm downsizing my living space, even though I've purged most of my belongings I still have years of collected hobbies I will likely need to sell (books, movies, boardgames, reloading equipment, pistols, guitars and related equipment, tools...). It's almost overwhelming sometimes.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Try it with a pregnant wife, and drunk friends.
    And when the move into the new home is done, the A/C goes out.
    Our furnace (blower) fell apart 3 weeks after moving in. I had planned on changing it when we decided to make an offer on the home. Figured it would last longer than 3 weeks but a perk of the job is having equipment around.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Our furnace (blower) fell apart 3 weeks after moving in. I had planned on changing it when we decided to make an offer on the home. Figured it would last longer than 3 weeks but a perk of the job is having equipment around.
    Bad deal when things go bad.

Not trying to steal your thunder, but I moved in this place June 1st and Jun 10th there was a storm that damaged the roof and let water in that damaged the textured ceiling in the Kitchen and soaked the insulation. I was going to put a new roof on anyway, but I was wanting to do it after we unpacked.

Challenges make us stronger when we are young, as we age they just wear us out more.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I and my wife have each lived in 3 homes. First our childhood homes. She went to college for a year then back to live with parents and start working. I went to school 1 year while living at home, working on family farm. Then we decided to get married. I moved prior to our wedding into a farm house. She moved in after wedding. At this point in life moving involved a couple car trips with small items, clothes, etc. Then 35, 36 years later we moved here. No help. She still worked 40 hour weeks. My back was in bad shape. After a month, we could move in but didn’t get everything moved for a few more weeks. Not leaving/moving again short of EMTs hauling me out on a gurney to not return or coroner carting me out a body bag.

Top Bottom