• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This thread might span a few of the different topics, so I put it here. I'm moving from gun friendly Indiana to Washington DC where I'll apparently have to take a class, pay for registration for every gun I take, and get rid of all my hi-cap mags. No assault rifles allowed either, but I don't have one right now so that won't matter for me.

How would you guys handle this? Pair down to just a gun or two? I'm not sure I'll even hold onto my Glock 34, which is one of my favorite guns. I just can't stand the idea of being limited to 10 round mags with a full-size longslide.

I work in DC. The odds of you getting a permit are slim to none. And AMMO has to be registered. If police find one spent shell casing in your vehicle, or home, it's a felony.

Do yourself a favor. Find a place across the river in Virginia.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We're definitely going to have to go the apartment route either way, whether in DC proper or Northern VA. I'm not ready to commit to a permanent place until I know the city better. I'm a rule follower, so I'll make the sacrifices I need to rather than risk being found out on different terms.

I bought a house 65 miles west of DC. My only regret is that it is farther from the city. Of all the places I have worked, this city is the worst. But then, with my job, I see all parts of it. AVOID the SE section of the city at all costs.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I bought a house 65 miles west of DC. My only regret is that it is farther from the city. Of all the places I have worked, this city is the worst. But then, with my job, I see all parts of it. AVOID the SE section of the city at all costs.

:+1:

Did I mention bullet proof clipboards?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Positive and negative alike. I'm a positive guy, so I'm not too worried about getting a little push-back on a gun forum for moving to a liberal city. I can handle it.

The lease is signed, so it's happening. I'm thinking either a modern 45 or 12 GA (Remington 870/Mossberg 500) as my main home defense weapon and then keeping the old Colt 45 as an heirloom and backup. I'm still debating the G34 as my competition gun. I was thinking that I'd like to get involved in comp shooting out there, but as I don't have any connections I might let it go. If I keep it I'll have 3 17 round mags that I'll have to trade for 10 round mags. Think I can do any better than a 1-to-1 trade on the mags?

I'll be your connection if you want. I'm in Richmond and my phone # is public knowledge. Albert's Roofing Repairs | Slate Roof Repair and Window Flashing Co., Rich., Va.

GIve me a call and i can keep it in my safe and give a receipt with serial of the gun in case I die or something. Que is also in this area if you prefer. You would be required to get your FOID in Va. within 60 days i believe, DL, to carry in Va. Everybody with a DL, or DMV ID and clean record, is considered armed.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I appreciate that and I'll keep it in mind! I'll have to brush up on Va's gun laws also and probably get a non-resident license.

I'll be your connection if you want. I'm in Richmond and my phone # is public knowledge. Albert's Roofing Repairs | Slate Roof Repair and Window Flashing Co., Rich., Va.

GIve me a call and i can keep it in my safe and give a receipt with serial of the gun in case I die or something. Que is also in this area if you prefer. You would be required to get your FOID in Va. within 60 days i believe, DL, to carry in Va. Everybody with a DL, or DMV ID and clean record, is considered armed.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    SHA

I just saw your post: IMO (and that's all) - read and follow Emily Miller's info. She actually tries to keep people abreast of the updates on DC gun laws.
    I think she's also become an advocate for legally carrying for DC (shocking... or Not so much) ...
    Much of the MESS that was DC gun law - she helped improve - so supporting her efforts is supporting the cause.

As far as INSIDE DC - work to stay w/ in the laws - unless you're a Liberal anti-gun Politician or Media person - they have no leniency.
    (even the dumb laws)
    Get the VA non-res too ... at least you have the option to carry outside of DC then, right?

A thought - do you need a storage unit you can rent and put a safe in?
    Get a Storage Unit in VA where you can legally store what you want / have that you don't take into DC.
    if you do this - never mess up w/ ammo etc. while the stupid rules in DC are in place. ..

Other than that - good luck - enjoy - be safe - and keep advocating for the rights we're SUPPOSED to all have ...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    As is often the case, much of the "advice" received here turns out to be criticism. Sounds to me like you are going to DC for reasons which make sense to you. So, my little piece of advice is ignore the useless negative crap and "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".
    Or "when in the capital of the statist pigs, become a subject."

Top Bottom