• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    The fact is you're basically giving up the right to sensibly own firearms to live in one of the top five violent crime riddled cities in America. If the Smithsonian and that statue of Abe Lincoln mean that much to you more power to you, but ol' Abe isn't going to rise up and protect you when you're in a bad situation and thanks to the geniuses that make laws in D.C. -- like the honorable crack smoking Marion Barry -- you won't have anything but your bare hands to defend yourself.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The fact is you're basically giving up the right to sensibly own firearms to live in one of the top five violent crime riddled cities in America. If the Smithsonian and that statue of Abe Lincoln mean that much to you more power to you, but ol' Abe isn't going to rise up and protect you when you're in a bad situation and thanks to the geniuses that make laws in D.C. -- like the honorable crack smoking Marion Barry -- you won't have anything but your bare hands to defend yourself.
    Tell us how you really feel. Lol

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Again, respect the point of view but I see more good than bad. Crime rates are a complex calculations, and according to victim likelihood statistics from neighborhood scout I am more likely to be a victim in most of Indy than in downtown DC. Crimes per square mile is a different story, but that's to be expected since Indy is one of the least dense large cities in America. Yes, in DC it is more likely that a crime will happen on the same street where I live. I accept that.

But anyway, not to diverge into a conversation about crime stats. I'm mostly concerned about home defense and limiting my gun choices. I love the Glock 34, but like I said I can't stand the idea of limiting myself to 10 rounds instead of 17. If I only get 10 rounds, it won't be 9mm from a longslide.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Wow, CIA? What was that like?

We definitely had sticker shock. $2000/month for less than 700 square feet doesn't feel good.

Not much to tell, I didn't take the job because of the cost of living. Good luck!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I understand the point of view. Personally, I love DC. No doubt it will be different, but we've both got great jobs out there and the museums and monuments are among my favorite things in the world. It'll be a day trip to the ocean or a half dozen other world class cities. Amazing food around every corner. Again, I respect the opinion, but the pros outweigh the cons for us. We might just be young and crazy.

Your priorities are certainly different than mine. I'll take the woods and the fields over monuments, museums and way too many people in one place every time. Especially if the city limits my freedoms to the extent yours is about to be limited.
    Good luck. Hope it's worth it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    MILLER: Emily gets her gun - Washington Times
    Here is a good place to start.
    Emily Miller is a DC reporter that decided she needed a gun for personal protection.
    It took her months.
    The police "misled" her several times, gave her outdated ingo and misquoted laws.
    Your gun MUST be on the "approved" list.
    Each gun needs to be shot by the police, to capture the bullet.
    Paperwork amounted to the cost of a gun. Though you'll save money after the first, because of the class would already be complete.
    You CAN NOT carry outside the home.
    You CAN NOT own ammo for guns not on the list, or guns you do not own.
    You CAN NOT even have approced ammo in your pocket.
    The list goes on.
    A veteran was arrested because a counselor called the police on him.
    They busted his door, down arrested him, AND LOST HIM.
    No phone. No lawyer. No visitor. Told everyone he hadnt been arrested.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    One thing I learned in 50 + years, Relationships come and go but a good gun brings a lifetime of enjoyment. Get a divorce and stay put. :D

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Sounds like you are preping for a break in that requires you to fire more than 10 shots, wether from your Glock which you already own or another gun which you will have to buy, you have 10+1 then reload!!! Carry on, and get some training and practice. Whats the laws on shotguns for home protection? Double barrels not reccommended but better that nothing. PUN.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Buy a safe and put it in a storage facility outside DC, only take 1-2 guns into DC and do whatever you have to do to stay legal with those guns

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    If I knew I were moving to a state that only allowed 10 round magazine pistols...

I would be reverting back to my old days of carrying nothing but 1911's.

Go big or go home. :rockwoot:

nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    If the food monuments etc. "pros"
    outweigh the gun issue "cons" and you are not looking
    in Virginia then whats the point of this thread?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    1) Do you have any friends or relatives that live in a gun friendly state? If you do, they have the room, and are willing to allow you to do this, buy an appropriately sized safe, just big enough to hold what you are leaving/storing with them.

2) Buy a SD Shotty for home defense in DC. Doesn't matter what you choose, 500 or 870, but for "bump in the night" SD in an apartment, a shotty loaded with #4 buck will give you the lethality you need while reducing the risk to the adjacent apartment dwellers.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Sha, I've never been to DC, so I cannot offer any advice on your move. However, I do wish you and yours the best of luck and safe keeping in the future, whether you are in DC or here in Indiana. And, if you do go ahead with the move, maintain your connection with Indiana by staying on INGO.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    How would you guys handle this? Pair down to just a gun or two?

How can I say this respectfully? Let's see, You're out of your mind. There is no way anything in life could be so important to make me move to a place like that. How would I handle it? Find somewhere else to live, and if that means finding somewhere else to work, then that too.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I understand the point of view. Personally, I love DC. No doubt it will be different, but we've both got great jobs out there and the museums and monuments are among my favorite things in the world. It'll be a day trip to the ocean or a half dozen other world class cities. Amazing food around every corner. Again, I respect the opinion, but the pros outweigh the cons for us. We might just be young and crazy.
    You can experience DC and still live in Arlington or Alexandria (or even as far away as Springfield). The Metro runs all over the place. You'd be a lot better off in NoVa than DC proper. I went into DC all the time and got to enter and leave as I liked, when I liked.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...I'm moving from gun friendly Indiana to Washington DC where I'll apparently have to take a class, pay for registration for every gun I take, and get rid of all my hi-cap mags.
    The ONLY two groups that any longer live in D.C. are criminals and politicians, which is actually the SAME group, just different clothing. :lmfao:

I have no advice 'cause I can't fathom why anyone would purposely move to D.C. nowadays. Not even for a 'gubmint job'. :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    As is often the case, much of the "advice" received here turns out to be criticism. Sounds to me like you are going to DC for reasons which make sense to you. So, my little piece of advice is ignore the useless negative crap and "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Top Bottom