• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Not sure I follow what you're asking...
    An "assault" is a fully automatic battle grade rifle with the term often being taken out of context to refer to Semi-automatic sporting rifles. He was being sarcastic.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I worked in DC for 3 years. Lived in NOVA and commuted in on the train. I loved the attractions the area offered but there is no way I'd live in DC proper unless they changed their gun laws.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'd give advice if I had any knowledge of the issue. The most interesting part of this thread is that everyone seems to be telling this guy not to move to DC. He's asking for advice on moving to DC with guns not on whether or not he should move to DC. Come on INGO...seriously.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well despite everything, I wish you the best of luck! You may only be able to take a few guns though. Maybe they'll be forced to adopt a right to carry law while you're there. Stay in touch with INGO!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Best of luck. Hope you enjoy it. THere is certainly a lot to do and see in DC. I'll keep your guns for you, jsut give them to me! THey'll be safe back here in Inddiana, waiting for you to move back!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd give advice if I had any knowledge of the issue. The most interesting part of this thread is that everyone seems to be telling this guy not to move to DC. He's asking for advice on moving to DC with guns not on whether or not he should move to DC. Come on INGO...seriously.

Please tell me you were not surprised by this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Sometimes the best answer is to the question you didn't know to ask. Perhaps he wasn't familiar with the area enough to know that NoVA was an option.

But hey, if living "in" DC is important enough to give up your 2nd Amnd rights and congressional representation, and the few minutes in from NoVA is just too far and therefore not worth having carry permits, no gun registration, no limit on number of guns, NFA, etc... not to mentional congressional representation, then yea, I failed the OP.

No matter where you end up living, be sure to visit the NRA Museum in Fairfax.

Fredericksburg, VA puts on one of the best club USPSA matches anywhere.

-rvb

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Please tell me you were not surprised by this.
    Not surprised, no, but we are better than that. The guy is moving to DC. Alright. He'd like advice on moving his weaponry with him. I don't have any advice on the situation so that means I really have nothing to offer him. I feel that members of our gun forum should be more helpful than we were in this thread (and others). Just my two cents. I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    One option no one has mentioned yet is to just get rid of all your guns and enjoy the liberal mecca with no worries.
    And the ammo. Not allowed in DC either.
    You'll tire of living htere long before you get approved for any firearm or ammo. Even if it takes a few years to get approved for anything, you;ll tire of it first.
    Do like the DC people and assume you'll never need SD and forget about SD entirely.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    He can move there. He just needs to forget SD, firearms AND ammo. That's the soundest advice he can get.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I understand the point of view. Personally, I love DC. No doubt it will be different, but we've both got great jobs out there and the museums and monuments are among my favorite things in the world. (Nothing wrong there, but DC is a monument to the way America "WAS" not "is") It'll be a day trip to the ocean or a half dozen other world class cities. (You say this like the DC cesspool is a "world class" city?) Amazing food around every corner. (Amazing food is home cooked) Again, I respect the opinion, but the pros outweigh the cons for us. We might just be young and crazy.

Young or not, you're crazy. Enjoy...

Sorry to be one of the NOT so helpful. I'm old, I've seen a lot, and I hate to see someone throw away their freedom, by moving into the LEAST free city, of the MOST free nation.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Positive and negative alike. I'm a positive guy, so I'm not too worried about getting a little push-back on a gun forum for moving to a liberal city. I can handle it.

The lease is signed, so it's happening. I'm thinking either a modern 45 or 12 GA (Remington 870/Mossberg 500) as my main home defense weapon and then keeping the old Colt 45 as an heirloom and backup. I'm still debating the G34 as my competition gun. I was thinking that I'd like to get involved in comp shooting out there, but as I don't have any connections I might let it go. If I keep it I'll have 3 17 round mags that I'll have to trade for 10 round mags. Think I can do any better than a 1-to-1 trade on the mags?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I go there too much. I carry a bullet proof clipboard that I can hold up to the window in case of a car jacking. No ones tried yet but I have friends who've been there.

My recommendation would be to live out by the Franconia Springfield Metro station and tram it into work. Live somewhere where you can keep your weapons and still have decent access to the city. Most of that town is not safe at night...they have firearms incidents within blocks of the WH now and I'd highly recommend those BP clipboards.

best of luck.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any thoughts on the Mossberg JIC as an "urban survival" and home defense shotgun?

I almost bought this but ended up getting a 500 Persuader with vent cover and put an ATI folder on it. The price was good and it shoots well. I may be late to the party but I don't know how many guns you have, but can't you keep them in a safe deposit box or something and just keep them for safe keeping (no pun intended). Leave them here and just pay a yearly fee. Again, I don't know if banks even do that. I should google it. If you have family here you can just get them and shoot them and then return them and head back to DC.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm still debating the G34 as my competition gun. I was thinking that I'd like to get involved in comp shooting out there, but as I don't have any connections I might let it go.

you don't need "connections" to get into competition, you just need to find a match you want to attend and show up. Despite the liberal messes that are DC and MD, there is still a lot of competition out there. Since you say G34, I'll assume you are looking at IDPA or USPSA... There's is Fredericksburg, VA for USPSA. Sanner's Lake (Lexington Park, MD) for IDPA and USPSA (my old "home" club), there's IDPA in Annapolis, Eastern Shore of MD has USPSA, near Frederick, MD is another USPSA club.

I think a couple of new USPSA clubs have popped up since I left the area (eg in Anne Arundel County, MD)

If you don't compete while you are there is not because there aren't opportunities.

uspsa.org and idpa.com will help you find clubs and club POCs.

-rvb

Top Bottom