• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    new to rifles...not to handguns...so, yes...this would be new for me. =-)

Hmm. I would say:
    What is the long arm for? Meaning, what do you hope to get from a long arm that you wouldn't get from your handguns?

More stopping power? Well, though "stopping power" is a debatable topic, most everyone agrees that generally either a shotgun or rifle would hit harder than a handgun. But, arguably, it would be unlikely that you would ever need that difference in power for a home defense situation -- at least not in the current state of affairs in Indiana. Still, if you are looking for more...decisive...firepower, the cheapest route to that firepower would be a shotgun.

More range? Well, the benefits of range for a home defense situation are debatable -- but if that is what you are looking for, the rifle is probably the way to go. But range is a two-edged sword -- your bullets may find someone you never intended to shoot, somewhere 500 yards away. You would need to take extra care about that and be careful of when and how you employed your rifle.

But, in many people's estimation, the handgun is a great tool for most home defense applications, and its portability and "convenience" (can stash in smaller areas, can lock away more easily, easier to carry on your person, easier to conceal when answering the door and not wanting to scare a friend dropping by for a surprise visit) may make it the best overall tool for your particular home defense situation. In addition to portability/convenience, it can still be very reasonably effective (not as MUCH stopping power...but likely ENOUGH) against the stereotypical "home invaders" -- that is, an untrained, unprepared, unarmored random "drug-crazed fiend"/rapist or felon looking for someone who won't fight back. A handgun should be very effective in that situation.

I guess it comes down to: What are you most comfortable with? If you are comfortable with your handguns, I would say buy more ammo (as well as specialized self-defense ammo like Hornady's stuff) and practice more, and maybe get some safes or holsters to make accessing them (and also securing them) more convenient.

If you are looking just to get more "oomph", and are looking to do it as cost-efficiently as possible, go for pump shotgun (870 or Mossy 500 among others), or even semiauto (like Mossberg 930). 18 or 20 inch barrel type. Get one, and practice lots. Use target loads to familiarize and drill, but don't neglect reduced power "tactical" loads and full power loads too.

If you are looking to increase your range (taking into account the concerns mentioned above), then a rifle would likely be best. Maybe AK or AR variant. Get one and practice lots.

Or, if you just wanna expand your collection...hey, no shame in that at all! Get whatever you think is cool that you can afford and have fun!

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Oh, and like always...don't neglect the value of non-firearm defenses like alarms, cameras, and GOOD LOCKS AND DOORS. And a dog too. If your door holds the bad guy up for 5 minutes more, rather than giving in at the first kick, or if your alarms/dog/cameras give you 5 minutes warning that this guy is coming for no good, that's time you can use to call the police, get your firearm, gather your family in your saferoom, and set up a defensive position to stop him when he comes through the door.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Oh, and like always...don't neglect the value of non-firearm defenses like alarms, cameras, and GOOD LOCKS AND DOORS. And a dog too. If your door holds the bad guy up for 5 minutes more, rather than giving in at the first kick, or if your alarms/dog/cameras give you 5 minutes warning that this guy is coming for no good, that's time you can use to call the police, get your firearm, gather your family in your saferoom, and set up a defensive position to stop him when he comes through the door.

It is for this reason that I have a fairly strict "Call ahead" visitation rule with those that know me. I dont typically stop by anyone's house unannounced, and anyone who stops by here without calling first will be met at condition orange.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Just get a Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or a Remington 870 pump 12 guage and be done with it. I'd recommend an 18 1/2 inch barrel for home defense. And a good guard dog like a Doberman or German Shephard. The bad guy won't benefit from the element of surprise with a good dog around.

Top Bottom