• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Last night before going to bed, I heard a mouse in the kitchen. I couldn't find a trap so I just went to bed and thought that I would deal with it in the morning. So I go to bed and within 30 seconds of laying there, I heard another one scratching in the wall. Now my wife thinks we are infested with these furry critters and is freaking out. I caught 3 mice back in the beginning of July. We have been in this house for over 8 years and only had one mouse prior to this year. Obviously something has changed. Any ideas on how to get rid of them and how to prevent them?

............and buying a snake to slither around in the house is NOT an acceptable answer!!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Do you live in the city or country? Outside cats are great if you live in the country. Feed them once or twice a week, and you will never see a mouse. Otherwise, just set out traps. You may have to tamper with the traps to give them a "hair trigger", or else the smaller mice will just steal the cheese/peanut butter. Old fashioned mouse traps work just fine.

The main problem, though is finding where they are getting in. It can be a small hole the size of a quarter. if you can find their entry point, you can repair it, or stuff it with steel wool. Of course, it may be a challenge finding that point of entry.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I caught the last 3 with a traditional trap and peanut butter. But if I don't get the one out of the wall in my bedroom, I am liable to open fire with a 12 ga out of the closet.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I caught the last 3 with a traditional trap and peanut butter. But if I don't get the one out of the wall in my bedroom, I am liable to open fire with a 12 ga out of the closet.

He isn't staying in the wall. If he got in there, he knows how to get out. Just keep setting out traps like you're doing. You'll get him eventually.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Place the trap with the bait side against the wall. They rarely leave the edge of the room unless there's some food. Use peanut butter, and squish it into the bait holder; the mouse won't get away. They can get in through a round hole the size of a quarter, or squeeze through a 1/4" gap. I used to have a few as pets, and one found it fun to get the wheel going and run through it where the gap was just slightly wider between two spokes. You should try to find copper wool; it won't corrode like the steel. I've also screwed ball chains to the traps and thumbtacked them to the wall. This makes them easier to find and retrieve, should there be anything the trap can get behind. Oddly, I caught a couple of shrews on the peanut butter traps one winter. Those are insectivorous, related more to moles.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If you are really cold blooded, and have no other pets, glue trays can provide some entertainment. These are too hard core for me. Have to get out the tiny smokes and blindfolds. Execute them with a pellet rifle.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    noise, light and a broom.
    Found one hiding when I shined a flash light on him, made some loud noise and he came running out in the open where he was quickly smashed with a broom.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If you are really cold blooded, and have no other pets, glue trays can provide some entertainment. These are too hard core for me. Have to get out the tiny smokes and blindfolds. Execute them with a pellet rifle.

I have tried glue traps in the past with no luck. The last time I used one there was an impression of a mouses left side along with a ton of hair in the glue but no mouse. I have
    no idea how it would have gotten away. I have also used poison but if they die inside they
    stink really bad until you can find them. Anymore the old fashion ones seem to work the best.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What worked for me with basic house stuff is this. I took a toilet paper cardboard roll, you know when your done with it. Then I tape two quarters to the top of it kinda 30% to one side. Then balance it on the end of the counter and place a trash can or bucket below. Put a piece of peanut butter or rasin at the very end of the tube. The idea is the mouse smells the food can only get to it by going through the tube once it reaches the end of the tube the mouses weight will make the tube tip into the bucket. It does work and really well too. Just make sure it is all balanced right.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Decon, Decon, Decon.

Put it everywhere your kids and pets can't reach it.

I had what I want to call an epidemic about 2 years and Decon cleared it up within 2 weeks...Just make sure you don't have any water sources for them, because you want them leaving your house to try to rehydrate (before they die).

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    picture.php

Top Bottom