Mount Desert Island / Bar Harbor, Maine. Anybody vacationed there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    As I've gotten older, I now want to start seeing more of US & not go to same vacation spot every year.
    Last year was Savannah, GA (not a fan) & Helen, GA (Big Fan). Thinking of return to Helen (lots we missed), but also stumbled across Bar Harbor, Maine.

Any INGO peeps have experience there? If so, opinions?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Yes, on our honeymoon in 1985. Things may have changed since then. Lots to see around Acadia National Park - rocky beaches, folk art shops, seafood, Cadillac Mountain. Stop by Camden ME if you get a chance - go to Cappy's Chowder House and climb Mt. Megunticook - the view is phenomenal. If you like hiking and tide pools, this is the place. I'm not into shopping, but there's a lot there also. Not so great for swimming unless you like COLD water.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Wife and I were there last July. Had never been to Maine and just decided to go.

Very nice, but very crowded and very pricey.

Then again, beautiful area, great fresh seafood and nice people.

We flew into Portland and then drove up US1 to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Spent about four days there and then drove northwest up to Baxter State Park and spent a couple of days there.

Our trip was probably not as much fun as it could have been since we both came down with serious sinus infections the day before we left home. We were both running fevers and felt crummy the whole time, so we did not get to do nearly as much hiking and some of the other things we wanted to.

We agreed we would like to go back when we both feel better.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm originally from Maine. Bar Harbor is nice, but depending on when you go can be very pricey. If you go over the Fourth of July then expect to pay top dollar for everything. Seafood there is awesomely fresh.....like watching them take the lobsters off the boat and put them in the tank fresh. Maine is a seasonal state, meaning most places are open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, so be mindful of that as well. It's been 30 years since I've been to that area, but my parents go every year. If you have any questions about specific places to stay or eat, let me know and I'll ask them for you.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are planning To hit the area this summer. I haven't started planning but hope to hit Niagara Falls on the way out and go through Boston up to Maine and then home again over about 9 days

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The Pointy Head Inn (yes, that's it's name) in Seal Harbor was a great place to stay back in 1985. The owner is a real downeaster.

EDIT: looks like it is no longer in business. We had some great stories from that place.

Top Bottom