• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pan America article

Harley and it's shareholders have to be pretty stoked over the Pan America right now.
    The ARH option sounds pretty cool.
    The Pan America is actually the first HD model that has ever appealed to me. It is an amazing bike, clearly falling into the top range of the ADV/Touring category but I'd really like to see them come out with a mid-size version in the 700-800cc range. That is what many in the ADV/Touring market are screaming for.

The Pan America is the home run that HD needed but its traditional customer base doesn't understand. ADV/Touring bikes are the hottest selling bikes in the world, and have been for quite a few years. HD sells to bikers that hate to wear protective gear or even helmets and want chrome on their bikes but the Pan America is a bike for the All The Gear, All The Time bikers who favor plastic parts and don't ride poker runs, group rides or join motocycle clubs.

The Honda NC750x has been in the top 3 selling bikes worldwide for the brand for most of the past 10 years but at 750cc is considered small in the US... Triumph Tiger 800... The Kawasaki KLR650 and Versys 650... Suzuki VStrom 650... all around the world those bikes are popular and less in big numbers. The Pan America is clearly aimed at the BMW GS 1250 series bikes but larger sales numbers are in the 650 to 800cc range. Give me a lighter but still capable ADV/Touring bike that I can ride on gravel and on the highway and I might switch to HD.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    They're going to repair the bike vs giving me 23k. Replacing the frame, forks, tank, lots of stuff. So much for the value of my bike after this.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    The Pan America is actually the first HD model that has ever appealed to me. It is an amazing bike, clearly falling into the top range of the ADV/Touring category but I'd really like to see them come out with a mid-size version in the 700-800cc range. That is what many in the ADV/Touring market are screaming for.

The Pan America is the home run that HD needed but its traditional customer base doesn't understand. ADV/Touring bikes are the hottest selling bikes in the world, and have been for quite a few years. HD sells to bikers that hate to wear protective gear or even helmets and want chrome on their bikes but the Pan America is a bike for the All The Gear, All The Time bikers who favor plastic parts and don't ride poker runs, group rides or join motocycle clubs.

The Honda NC750x has been in the top 3 selling bikes worldwide for the brand for most of the past 10 years but at 750cc is considered small in the US... Triumph Tiger 800... The Kawasaki KLR650 and Versys 650... Suzuki VStrom 650... all around the world those bikes are popular and less in big numbers. The Pan America is clearly aimed at the BMW GS 1250 series bikes but larger sales numbers are in the 650 to 800cc range. Give me a lighter but still capable ADV/Touring bike that I can ride on gravel and on the highway and I might switch to HD.
    From what the peeps at Valpo Harley told me, the new 1250 motor will be residing in more than just the Pan America and Sportster S fairly soon.
    With the success of the “big bike”, maybe they will develop a lighter and less expensive little brother to it…???

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    From what the peeps at Valpo Harley told me, the new 1250 motor will be residing in more than just the Pan America and Sportster S fairly soon.
    With the success of the “big bike”, maybe they will develop a lighter and less expensive little brother to it…???
    Yes that 1250 is, in different configurations, reported to be the power plant for several model.

Its not so much a little brother or a cheaper bike that people want/ride in the ADV/Touring world, it is a lighter more responsive bike. Hard to make it lighter and easier to flip around when it is giant sized.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Plus more than likely he'll be stuck with a salvage/rebuilt title. I would hold out for the cash myself.
    It should NOT have a salvage title if they choose to rebuild the bike.

If the bike is rebuilt, insist on genuine parts, not aftermarket parts.

However if the accident that caused the damage involves the fault of another vehicle then I'd be contacting a lawyer that specializes in motorcycle crash damage recovery. JMO

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Harley is doing the work. So it should all be OEM parts. I'm going to go with it. I never intended on selling the bike anyways.

Just wondering how it will affect the value with a new frame?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Harley is doing the work. So it should all be OEM parts. I'm going to go with it. I never intended on selling the bike anyways.

Just wondering how it will affect the value with a new frame?
    Not sure but there will be a serial number mismatch after the swap.
    If it's fixed right just enjoy the bike. :rockwoot:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I forgot that it's the other person's insurance company. Wonder if Double T shouldn't get his own insurance company involved to help with the negotiations to best suit his needs?
    Good idea. You have rights and aren't forced to take what they offer. I have in the past got help from my insurance provider on such things.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How many miles do you reckon those old pads have on them?
    Not sure. The bike has 62k. The pads I took off were EBC’s, so definitely not the originals. The fronts probably had 50% life left, but I went ahead and replaced the rear set and both front sets with Honda oem pads. The thing stops on a dime now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom