• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good info on the Cardo systems. I run a Sena 20S and am happy enough with the end result, but there has been quirks. Some streamed or YouTube content has to be run at full volume on the headset and phone to be heard in my, less than quiet, helmet. Let alone running at 80mph, with the vents open. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to see more competition in the helmet communicator market. IMHO, the pricing for these units are around twice what they should be, for what you get.
    FWIW, I'm running an ARAI Defiant helmet with lots of venting. It's quiet enough behind my windshield, that I actually keep the volume on the headset very low. But when I ride my wife's bike, with a low windshield, I get a bit of buffeting on the top of my helmet and therefore more noise. So helmet noise and volume levels vary from bike to bike because of the way wind hits the vents

Dr.Midnight said:
    I just play my music through the speakers in my Harley. It's certainly not high-end audio equipment, but it suits me just fine. I don't have any trouble hearing it at highway speeds.

I heard you coming down the road a mile away, just the other day...

:):
    :hehe::laugh6::hehe:

I'm pretty much willing to bet that the cost of a pair of the Harley speakers is a lot more expensive than the cost of a top of the line helmet comm unit.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The problem with that is, everyone else can hear it also.

So true. :(

Occasionally, it's a decent song, but more often than not it's butt rock that can be heard a block away.

Plus, it's gotta be loud enough to hear through damaged ears from years of riding without hearing protection.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Those stupid insurance comercials, with old Whitesnake songs, always make me wonder what folks actually listen to when riding?

In your head or on a headset or blasting through speakers for everyone to hear?

Songs that pop into my head:
    Sam & Dave, "Hold On (I'm Coming)"
    Martha And The Vandellas, "Nowhere to Run"
    Death, "Politicians In My Eyes"

There's a few other "repeat offenders", but for some reason, my brain goes to Motown & Memphis when on two wheels.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So true. :(

Occasionally, it's a decent song, but more often than not it's butt rock that can be heard a block away.

Plus, it's gotta be loud enough to hear through damaged ears from years of riding without hearing protection.

I don't know why, but it's a big peeve of mine.

Back when I did a lot of long trips I used to wear ear buds and listen to music. I would never have considered external speakers that have the likelihood of annoying everyone I ride by. OK, I'm off my little tiny soap box.

My wife and I had really early helmet comms. They didn't work that well from bike to bike, which was fine since I learned really quick that I didn't want to talk to her while riding anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know why, but it's a big peeve of mine.

Back when I did a lot of long trips I used to wear ear buds and listen to music. I would never have considered external speakers that have the likelihood of annoying everyone I ride by. OK, I'm off my little tiny soap box.

My wife and I had really early helmet comms. They didn't work that well from bike to bike, which was fine since I learned really quick that I didn't want to talk to her while riding anyway.

I want cagers and pedestrians (who may end up in a car near me) to have a at least a neutral impression of me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    People have listened to the radio in their cars for years with the windows down. As long as I'm not at full volume I don't see a problem.

The problem with that is, everyone else can hear it also.

It is annoying when people did (and sometimes still do) that with their cars. It is just as annoying when it comes from a motorcycle, a camper or a truck.

Not everyone likes the music I enjoy, nor can it be presumed everyone enjoys what you like. Inflicting our choices on others is actually more than annoying, its also pretty rude.

If we were talking about religion or politics then people would say that its not right to push beliefs down other's throats. Pretty much the same with music played loud over speakers.

I am a firm believer in riding your own ride. I'm also a libertarian who believes that your freedom ends when it interferes with the rights of others. You music, played too loudly, interferes with others. Played at reasonable levels is fine. But don't inflict me and my ride with your Nickelback at nearly full volume.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Got my dads bike this afternoon and rode 80 miles. No where in particular, in fact ended up down a road I wasn’t planning on going. I planned on turning at an intersection but I didn’t. It was a fun curvy road (42 north of 59). Made it close to Poland before I looked on my phone and turned around. It was a nice relaxing ride before the end of my weekend v

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It is annoying when people did (and sometimes still do) that with their cars. It is just as annoying when it comes from a motorcycle, a camper or a truck.

Not everyone likes the music I enjoy, nor can it be presumed everyone enjoys what you like. Inflicting our choices on others is actually more than annoying, its also pretty rude.

If we were talking about religion or politics then people would say that its not right to push beliefs down other's throats. Pretty much the same with music played loud over speakers.

I am a firm believer in riding your own ride. I'm also a libertarian who believes that your freedom ends when it interferes with the rights of others. You music, played too loudly, interferes with others. Played at reasonable levels is fine. But don't inflict me and my ride with your Nickelback at nearly full volume.

If you're saying, "Don't be an obnoxious douche nozzle.", then I can agree with that. I always bump my volume down at stop lights and when riding through residential areas.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    We've got SENA headsets on our helmets. We decided to get them after one day I was late leaving work and she called me. Being in traffic, I couldn't exactly answer the phone immediately. After that, we got headsets and it's so helpful. I typically listen to WIBC going and coming from work, and stream iHeartRadio (80's hair metal) when I'm just out riding. Our biggest issue is that my wife doesn't tag along very often so she still yells when trying to talk to me, so I hear her both through the headset and outside my helmet.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I run a sena20s. It works for me. Haven't tried pairing it with anything yet as I'm trying to convince the wife to actually ride on the back.

I like the ability to make calls without taking my helmet off, it can also amplify outside sounds to make you hear people easier without taking the helm off. Don't know about pairing yet, gotta try to convince the wife to go further than around the block on the back :D

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I was East of Dayton yesterday and got caught in the worst rain shower I've ever been in. I couldn't see anything, and man it was stinging like a *****. I finally got under an overpass, lit up a cigar, then waited for it to let up.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Ooohhh... love the Goldwings.

HD has the sales numbers for fashion bikes but Goldwings are the serious cruisers for people who actually ride long distances.

The 2018/19 models are spectacular updates.

I have been teaching motorcycle safety for 17 years and riding for 35. I have not ridden all of the heavyweight touring bikes but in discussions with riders over the years the Gold Wing was at the top but I have also heard many times that the BMW bike is equally amazing. Seems the Gold Wing has met or exceeded the new price of the top level BMW. $27,000 base vs $25,595, which I think most people have it in their head that BMW prices surely are priced much higher than their counterparts.

Top Bottom