• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And here is the actual study, 2 bikes of the same model, one equipped with ABS technology and the other without, and the odds of a fatal crash as significantly higher without the ABS feature. Newest study published in August 2021.

Results: ABS was associated with a statistically significant 22% reduction in motorcycle driver fatal crash involvements per 10,000 registered vehicle years . . .

The 2009 study estimated ABS to be associated with a 41% reduction in injury crashes and a 54% reduction in fatal crashes. The 2015 study estimated benefits for injury crashes ranging from 24 to 34% in three European countries; severe/fatal crashes were reduced by 34 to 42%. Rizzi et al. (2016b) investigated crashes of ABS and non-ABS
    motorcycles and found sliding crashes to be far less common among those equipped with ABS, and that none of the ABS-equipped motorcycles’ sliding crashes involved braking. This study also estimated a 52% reduction in fatal crashes associated with ABS. Another Rizzi et al. study (2016a) showed that ABS not only reduces the likelihood of crashes but also reduces their average severity.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree the music that loud is disrespectful to your neighbors and if he's rev bombing. Some exhaust are loud and I understand but also there's no need to be as loud as possible in your neighborhood. I try to be as quite as possible but I know it's still pretty annoying when I roll in late.
    Tinnitus and hearing loss sucks, so I'll stick with earplugs over loudspeakers.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    What do you all use to keep your bike shining. I am still using old fashioned carnauba wax. I have seen some ads for F11 top coat. That stuff sure is pricey. I was wondering what you folks are using.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yup! And Bike Bright for the wash when needed but don't over do it. My girl is in need of a bath but I don't mind if she is a little dirty...
    I washed mine once this year. Maybe twice last year, maybe once?

I wipe the bugs off with Pledge every ride, but washing only when I can't air the tires without getting brake dust all over my hands.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Hi guys. Not a biker here, but thought I would seek some insight. I've got a neighbor with what appears to be a highly customized, stretched out bagger, what I'm guessing to be at least a 26" front wheel. He lives a couple doors down and appears to be maybe in his 40's or so.

This guy goes out and runs his bike past my house and around the neighborhood behind me, just majorly getting on the throttle. It's LOUD. I mean to the point where it drowns out our tv inside the house, let alone the one out on the back deck.

I would say that he might be working on his motor and wanting to test his latest adjustment or something, but I hear him coming back from these "test runs" with his stereo cranked up almost as loud as his bike.

Am I just being a grumpy old man about this? I'm thinking he's going through his mid-life crisis and that maybe he's overcompensating for something.

We're like 5 minutes from 465. I'd be all for him just getting out there and ripping it up all he wants, either to Emerson on the east or Harding on the west.

View attachment 157062
    someone lives a few blocks from us and does this. the music annoys me more than the pipes, it is just obnoxiously loud. for the first time ever, i have a bike with a stereo. sometimes i don't even use it. i can see where the GPS could come in handy, though! My radio has a feature where you can set it to decrease the volume automatically when at slower speeds. So you can blast it on the highway, but it will lower itself on city streets.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks to all who replied. I feel validated now. Glad to know it wasn't just me being old and crotchety. I mean I am old and crotchety, but at least that wasn't the only reason to be annoyed. :):

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    What do you all use to keep your bike shining. I am still using old fashioned carnauba wax. I have seen some ads for F11 top coat. That stuff sure is pricey. I was wondering what you folks are using.
    We've used Quick Detailer on the cars, boats, and bikes forever. It can go on everything without worry. On a windscreen or your helmet faceshield, just let it sit a minute or so to soften the bug guts.

It also has a little rain repelling properties, kinda like RainX light....

Quick Detailer

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    WTF is the matter with you guys?
    • Wiping bugs off?
    • Washing?
    • Waxing?
    Oh hell no. Go ride the bike!

Roadway, gravel, dirt, grass ... your bike can ride on all those things and I'd rather get a scratch on my bike while having fun than sit at home washing, wiping & waxing (because that sounds like a SPA Day for the wimin folk)

And what is with CHROME and bells and loud speakers?

Seriously, plastic is far easier to care for, the speakers belong inside your helmet connected to a voice controlled bluetooth communication/infotainment system and bells belong on the front door of your house connected to a button.

:oldwise:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As bad as I am about washing the bike, those bugs gotta come off every ride or they become a real problem.

Less than two minutes to hit the windscreen, mirrors, bark busters, fairings, tank and other buggy spots. And still get compliments about my shiny "brand new" 15 year old bike at any place I stop in public.

Top Bottom