• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Many moons ago, I rode a lot. Work/life got in the way. I haven't been on one in 15 or so years.

My last bike was a Suzuki Hayabusa, before that was a 1400 intruder. I'm thinking I would like to get back into it on a smaller scale (2k miles a year max). I not even remotely interested in another crotch rocket, I liked the intruder, but want an American bike which lead me to HD. I want comfort, and reliability. My intruder had ape hanger handlebars, and I liked that.

I'm leaning towards a used Fatboy. I don't want to spend over 7k for no more than I'll use it. For those that follow bikes a lot more than I do, do you have any thoughts or advise? What kind of miles in considered to high on a used bike?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm not sure of you can find them for your price but I know a few diehard HD riders that have switched to the new Indians. And man do they love them.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I won’t ever get the opportunity to have a motorcycle because I have a wife and kids and I won’t do that to them, but a Hayabusa is without a doubt my dream bike.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Lots of Heritages, Fatboys and road kings in that price range on the book of faces. Seems they all run in the mid 20000 miles area. Shouldn't be too hard to find one thats been well taken care of. Street Glides and Road Glides appear to be the ones that have been hot rodded.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I won’t ever get the opportunity to have a motorcycle because I have a wife and kids and I won’t do that to them, but a Hayabusa is without a doubt my dream bike.

I have a wife and kids. I dont look at is as doing to them, I look at it as doing with them.

The Hayabusa is the fastest think I've ever driven, with no close second. That said, I'm not the same guy I was 15 years ago, the struggle to keep it under control ( decided to pop a wheelie at 90 once, and gave it to much juice, front tire stayed down,, back tire started spinning) doesn't appeal to me.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have a wife and kids. I dont look at is as doing to them, I look at it as doing with them.

The Hayabusa is the fastest think I've ever driven, with no close second. That said, I'm not the same guy I was 15 years ago, the struggle to keep it under control ( decided to pop a wheelie at 90 once, and gave it to much juice, front tire stayed down,, back tire started spinning) doesn't appeal to me.

No judgement from me. Just jealousy. :ingo:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

...just to share a story. On the highway eaaarly one morning on the way to work, a headlight was coming up behind me really fast from really far away (guessing 1/2 mile away or more). I had my cruise set at 90 as that was my custom at the time on the almost entirely abandoned highway.

Suddenly the headlight just disappeared. I thought I was seeing things, or a UFO in really low orbit, and was starting to really question myself right about the time the 'Busa on one wheel passed me. He had to have been going at least 150 and by my estimation he was on one tire for 30 or 40 seconds at that speed. By the time I fully appreciated what had just happened, he was pretty much just a speck of tail light off in the distance. If not for the giant Kanji on the fairing, I wouldn't have any clue what had just passed me.

I can see the appeal in both sides of the sport bike coin from that experience. It was crazy AF to get passed and what felt like double speed from a 90mph cruise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remember that when you buy a used Vtwin make sure it has seen some service in its lifetime. I know guys with 30K+ on them and they run fine and are reliable.
    20K seems to be the common point they sell them. If it looks raggy then it is raggy. But you will pay a bit more for one with new tires/brakes/oil and a new battery.
    Keep a battery tender on it and a full tank of fuel.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I'm not sure of you can find them for your price but I know a few diehard HD riders that have switched to the new Indians. And man do they love them.
    Bought an Indian Chief Darkhorse 4 years ago when I retired, could not be happier. Lots of power, runs very smooth, no trouble at all in this time.

Had my heart set on a Harley, they even brought in the one that I wanted. After I looked at the Indian it was much more what I wanted.

Don

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Hopefully I will be able to keep riding a whole lot longer but at 74 you just never know when the body will go. I always thought my knees would be the problem but I have more trouble with my hands, arthritis is annoying.
    I am no longer a hot rod but still enjoy the feeling you get when you give the throttle a good twist. It is a 2004 Springer that I ordered just the way I wanted it, V & H Straight Shots, leather bags and a nice comfy seat. It is the FX model with the 21" front tire and 88" twin cam. Not what you would call "fast" but plenty of power to move me and at times my wife down the road. Always kept inside, well maintained and looks almost as good as new so when I do give it up someone will get a nice bike. Jim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hopefully I will be able to keep riding a whole lot longer but at 74 you just never know when the body will go. I always thought my knees would be the problem but I have more trouble with my hands, arthritis is annoying.
    I am no longer a hot rod but still enjoy the feeling you get when you give the throttle a good twist. It is a 2004 Springer that I ordered just the way I wanted it, V & H Straight Shots, leather bags and a nice comfy seat. It is the FX model with the 21" front tire and 88" twin cam. Not what you would call "fast" but plenty of power to move me and at times my wife down the road. Always kept inside, well maintained and looks almost as good as new so when I do give it up someone will get a nice bike. Jim.

These are the bikes that are a great deal. May cost more but in the long run no.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I was going to get back into bikes and wanted American I'd look at the new HD Pan American.

I would not be interested in running up and down the interstates but would search for the road less traveled.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage. My intruder, actually the S83 version, same bike, has 66k on it and runs like a top. I would stay with a stock bike, as it seems there are usually more issues once there have been “upgrades“.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My bike is a 2003 HD Dyna Lowrider. 50,000 miles with no trouble at all. Performed a stage one upgrade, high flow slip on mufflers, high flow air filter, rejetted the carb, runs great. Installed mustang seat, best add on ever, I can ride for hours. Good luck.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I hung up my helmet about 8 years ago and man do I miss it. Lots has changed in the last 8 years since I rode, with cell phones and distracted driving. Unfortunately I don’t think I will ever be brave enough to ride again. But boy was it fun.

Top Bottom