• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

I figured it was Automatch, it's crap. Try this instead, you can find it at Walmart in 325 rd boxes. I've shot thousands of rounds of it

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    CCI, as has been stated numerous times...I'm having good luck with the Aguila 40grsuper extra.
    Same with me. I have run all kinds over the years but I'm reducing down to Mini-Mags and the Aguila round mentioned here. They both run fine in all of my .22's and that is what is most important to me. I don't like having specific rounds for specific firearms. I like to keep it simple.

I also load just one round in 9 mm that works in all of my 9's. Just easier that way.

I used to shoot Green Tags years ago, but they are too pricey for my uses now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I recently had a couple of rounds of Aguila that were bad. They wouldn't chamber in anything, including a S&W Model 18 revolver. It's hard to see from the photo, but the lead was pushed down over the mouth of the case. I contacted Aguila a few weeks ago and crickets. View attachment 280160
    I didn't know they made the 40 gr SE in lead. Mine are all coated bullets. Which is all I run. I have had issues with lead in at least one of my .22's.

These are what I run:
    1686580655954.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I figured it was Automatch, it's crap. Try this instead, you can find it at Walmart in 325 rd boxes. I've shot thousands of rounds of it

I learned years back with Blue box Federal Champion 22LR ammo that there are more than a few different Blue Boxes on the shelfs for sale. The part numbers are usually either a #5xx or a #7xx series number with the 7 series numbers have a higher cost, and hopefully a better quality ammo with that.
    We run a lot of Auto-match through our rimfires and we seem to have few issues shooting it, even in 41 Smiths.
    I think most of the seven series we have is either 710 or 720, it shoots well.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I didn't know they made the 40 gr SE in lead. Mine are all coated bullets. Which is all I run. I have had issues with lead in at least one of my .22's.

These are what I run:
    View attachment 281174
    Interesting, I think we have a case of that.
    I bought two cases of Aguila Pistol Match before the silly-ness started this time.
    I pulled a brick out over the weekend to see how it shot, now I'm really curious to shoot some.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Curious what costs some of these “reliable” ones cost? What is acceptable cost per round for cci sv minimag eley? And is this what you guys are plinking with or do you break out the buckets for that?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I don't shoot any Remington ammo, leave that for the kids and gkids. Best bang for the buck I've found is Eley Force. At $5-$5.50 a box you can't beat it. It's not precision ammo but not far off. For reliability and consistency, it's my go to plinking and hunting ammo.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

These are what I run:
    View attachment 281174
    Interesting, I think we have a case of that.
    I bought two cases of Aguila Pistol Match before the silly-ness started this time.
    I pulled a brick out over the weekend to see how it shot, now I'm really curious to shoot some.
    All of Aguila's standard velocity and match ammo are naked lead 40 grain bullets.
    I shot a box of the Pistol Match yesterday and it was a huge failure in two Model 41 Smiths.
    about 70% failure to fully cycle the slide, so the failure to eject and so on. The good part was
    the accuracy is looking really good. So last night I ordered two sets of Wolf springs to see if I can make them work with this ammo. With 10,000 rds of it I sure would like to see it work.

And BE Mike, I will look again, but I don't recall any lube that I felt on my fingers while loading mags.

20230612_141905.jpg

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    Curious what costs some of these “reliable” ones cost? What is acceptable cost per round for cci sv minimag eley? And is this what you guys are plinking with or do you break out the buckets for that?
    good prices^

If I want a semi auto to function well I use mini mags, if I'm plinking I use the cheap stuff. I have a lot of the cheap stuff stocked from the past though, these days the cost of CCI SV vs a brick of Remington, Winchester, or federal are close enough that I would just use CCI for everything. If you want to get really good at clearing your gun run Remington through a cheap mag fed semi auto.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have some bulk stuff that I shoot through my revolver since I don't have to be concerned with malfunctions.

That said, it is only until it's gone. That Model 617 is so accurate, it's a shame to shoot cheap stuff through it. Like I said upthread, from here on out it's either Mini-Mags or the Aguila stuff.

Unless I can score some Green Tag or Wolf performance stuff at a discount. :)

Top Bottom