• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a Colt Wiley Clapp that has been very reliable. Of the three on the list, I would probably go with the S&W.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have a couple Kimbers and a couple Rugers. All with Wilson mags. I have never had a problem with any of them.
    One of my Rugers is in 10MM And is the most accurate gun I own. $749.00 brand new. Definitely like the WC Mags.
    Nice to see a Glocktard see the light..lol
    Your words not mine..BTW I like Glocks too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m very happy with my railed Sig. be warned though, Sigs have a different slide profile and may not fit many common holsters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Seems I've had a couple threads lately where I've been able to sing the praises of Ruger's SR1911 line, which is a 70-Series setup. Over time I've gravitated towards the DW brand and have had no problems AT ALL to report there, but for a wallet-friendly option I am still a huge fan of the SR1911. The commander I had ate everything I put in it without even a hiccup. I never torture tested mine to see how long it would run without a cleaning, but with looser tolerances than higher-end or semi-custom options out there, I bet it would have impressed me. I like their commander-sized options better than their newer Officer's Model offerings, which for whatever reason I consistently shot low. Was probably me with the Officer's Model, but the commanders I've shot have all been spot-on with POA/POI.

For 1911 mags, I've consistently had outstanding luck with Metalform Mags over anything else. I've tried Mec-Gars but they won't always lock the slide back on my DW models. The Metalforms just work and work perfectly for me every time no matter what I run them in.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Cant argue with any of the ones you list just not a fan personally of the Sig or S&W and not because they are not reliable as they are. JMHO and thats all.
    I use Wilson 48D's and Chip McCormick's in the 10rd offerings with very very few issues over time mag related.

Of those 3 pick the one you personally like as they are all pretty close in fit/finish etc. And let us know what you find.
    With a user name like G****tard I am curious where this takes you.....:):
    Why aren’t you a fan of the Sig’s and S&W’s?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a pair of Colt Rail Guns that I wanted tighter groups than stock barrels could do. Had both on Ransom Rest, they shot about 4" groupings so both went to Allen to fix that. Have a Springfield 1911 GI that I use to shot Wild Bunch set up with light loads and it has never miss a beat. Brother has Colt and S&W and the all shoot and shoot even after sever 100 rounds of Bullseye with out cleaning. What you buy may be the one where it just will not work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why aren’t you a fan of the Sig’s and S&W’s?
    Sigs are sigs not 1911's. Just arent no matter what you argue. They are handsome and reliable and accurate blah blah blah but they aint 1911's. They are 1911-ish at best.

I have owned a few S&W offerings and as with the Sigs but again.....its smiths view of what a 1911 is and the real ones have internal extractors.

Just this old guys opinion and nothing more.
    If you like-em then get 1 or 5 of them.
    Then run-em like you hate-em.......:):

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just my 3 cents OP. I am not a fan of WML on 1911's so a rail is "is in the way" for me. They do have their place on professional use service pistols. Secondly, Can't go wrong with Wilson or McCormick mags. Personally, and I have never had a problem with Wilsons, I just prefer McCormicks and Ed Brown magazines as they do not have plastic followers and contain solid side witness holes.

Good luck with your purchase and have fun!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sigs are sigs not 1911's. Just arent no matter what you argue. They are handsome and reliable and accurate blah blah blah but they aint 1911's. They are 1911-ish at best.

I have owned a few S&W offerings and as with the Sigs but again.....its smiths view of what a 1911 is and the real ones have internal extractors.

Just this old guys opinion and nothing more.
    If you like-em then get 1 or 5 of them.
    Then run-em like you hate-em.......:):
    This.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sig muddies the 1911 waters not only with the external extractor but with a different slide profile that does not fit some 1911 holsters. Internally, they are pure 1911 though in the frame. They are really a great gun and are among my favorite 1911s.

Sig factory mags sometimes don’t lock the slide back but I tend to run Wilson’s or Tripp’s.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sig muddies the 1911 waters not only with the external extractor but with a different slide profile that does not fit some 1911 holsters. Internally, they are pure 1911 though in the frame. They are really a great gun and are among my favorite 1911s.

Sig factory mags sometimes don’t lock the slide back but I tend to run Wilson’s or Tripp’s.
    Wasn't the slide profile issue just a few of them during the early years of getting into the 1911?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sounds like we all agree, it isn't a 1911 if:
    1. external extractor
    2. rail
    3. no barrel bushing (or collet)
    4. fcs

I didn't put beavertail down, but I think you would have to look with suspicion on that....
    or ambi safety... am I the only one that thinks the Russians may have been involved in that?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like we all agree, it isn't a 1911 if:
    1. external extractor
    2. rail
    3. no barrel bushing (or collet)
    4. fcs

I didn't put beavertail down, but I think you would have to look with suspicion on that....
    or ambi safety... am I the only one that thinks the Russians may have been involved in that?
    OK on the rail thing. And I stand accused and convicted.
    I have a TRP bull barrel tactical with the full rail. And its a 10mm. So I guess I can not attend this weeks 1911 anonomouse meeting in the church basement on Tuesday.

I just don't like Sigs and I have no idea why......:dunno:

Do I need an intervention.
    Is there hop for my lost soul.
    Have I crossed over the threshold into the darkness. No hope of return.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wasn't the slide profile issue just a few of them during the early years of getting into the 1911?

For a while, they offered a traditional slide profile but that’s not in their catalog any longer. I think the squared profile that has holster fit issues is the standard one. Both of mine had that profile

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OK on the rail thing. And I stand accused and convicted.
    I have a TRP bull barrel tactical with the full rail. And its a 10mm. So I guess I can not attend this weeks 1911 anonomouse meeting in the church basement on Tuesday.

I just don't like Sigs and I have no idea why......:dunno:

Do I need an intervention.
    Is there hop for my lost soul.
    Have I crossed over the threshold into the darkness. No hope of return.

We are all entitled to our own likes and dislikes. I’m not offended if you don’t like my gun. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just don't see those Sigs around anymore like they used to be At least I don't. Maybe they are and I haven't noticed them.

Top Bottom