Most convenient to use/keep with you at all times reading glasses?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Lost my $500 (after “insurance” - what a joke) prescription progressive glasses so I’m back to dragging readers around with me. I’ve had a few set of the readers that fold and slide into a keychain or lay flat in a wallet and they’re definitely convenient but don’t seem to last two long. Shoving these drug store readers into my pocket isn’t the best option either, they’ll be broken or heavily scratched soon and they’re uncomfortable in the pocket if I’m sitting down.

Anyone found any other options that they like? These will get used in all types of environments and carried in everything from cargo shorts to jeans and suits.

Whatcha got?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Lost my $500 (after “insurance” - what a joke) prescription progressive glasses so I’m back to dragging readers around with me. I’ve had a few set of the readers that fold and slide into a keychain or lay flat in a wallet and they’re definitely convenient but don’t seem to last two long. Shoving these drug store readers into my pocket isn’t the best option either, they’ll be broken or heavily scratched soon and they’re uncomfortable in the pocket if I’m sitting down.

Anyone found any other options that they like? These will get used in all types of environments and carried in everything from cargo shorts to jeans and suits.

Whatcha got?
    For me, dollar store readers. Shove them in a pocket and they get broke/scratched, oh well. Or just hang them in the neck band of the shirt, not fashionable but it works. Keep a pair or two in the car as back up, or wherever. $10 and change you have 10 pair, should last a little while.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Lost my $500 (after “insurance” - what a joke) prescription progressive glasses

Walmart, but not "readers". I've been getting my prescription glasses from them for more than 10 years now. Usually about $150 out the door (without insurance), with titanium frames, polycarbonate lenses, and ground for prism (which costs more). Never had a problem with them. My parents still cannot see the light and are buying theirs from the eye doctor for $500+... I've had them both ways and there is basically no difference.

If you're willing to compromise down to "readers", seems like you could go for a single focus lens in your actual prescription for under a C-note? :dunno:

Based on other postings on INGO, I'm going to try some of the mail order places that do frames and lenses for like $30 (Zenni Optical has been recommended before, but there are others). How bad could it be?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I only need reading glasses at this point. I paid for prescription glasses so I could wear them all of the time and not have to carry them around in a pocket. I had no we’re going to drain me like they did for the pair I lost and I won’t be doing that again. Thanks for the advice on Walmart, I may check them out if I can’t find something easy enough to carry around.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Last batch I bought from Amazon. 3 bucks a piece and they came with microfiber sleeves as covers. They are relatively sturdy and live through most pockets in the sleeve.

Still I have them sprinkled anywhere they might be needed so to not be pocket digging.

1630168383240.png

Last edited:

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I have also had amazing luck with zenni optical, which is all online. Now, I just get the prescription and PD from the Dr's office and just order from there. I have insurance, but was still finding myself paying between $300-500 still. I just ordered a pair of progressive lenses for $103 with anti-reflective, blu block, and clip-on sunglasses that are cut to the lens size. I apparently cant do progressives, so they are sending single vision replacements for free.

The pair before that were $130 with transition lenses. My wife and Kids get all their glasses there too. The biggest drawback is because of the price, everyone (but me) has a pair of glasses and sunglasses in varying style strewn about the house and cars.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have also had amazing luck with zenni optical, which is all online. Now, I just get the prescription and PD from the Dr's office and just order from there.

The biggest drawback is because of the price, everyone (but me) has a pair of glasses and sunglasses in varying style strewn about the house and cars.

Been doing part A for years and part B is absolutely my plan. :) I have 2 vehicles I drive regularly, plus mowing the grass and stuff, and it gets annoying moving sunglasses around to all of them. Figured I'd try Zenni and if they suck, oh well.

Still gonna get my regular Walmart replacements for daily use. The last 3 times I've just called them with my new script and ordered "the exact same thing". Once you get something that fits nice it's nice to just be able to do that.

Worth mentioning that I'm planning to get some Zennis for my preps too. Breaking my glasses in the apocalypse would suck.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    For me, dollar store readers. Shove them in a pocket and they get broke/scratched, oh well. Or just hang them in the neck band of the shirt, not fashionable but it works. Keep a pair or two in the car as back up, or wherever. $10 and change you have 10 pair, should last a little while.
    This guy here knows the drill.
    Remove them from your neckband around brush chippers.

Ask me how I know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hang them on the shirt neck and is what I end up doing even with my prescription glasses if I'm wearing sun glasses, etc.

Only a problem if bending down a lot.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There are snap together glasses, but I never tried them...

s-l1000.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I had that kind of glasses, I really did not carry them. They were cheap, so I had a pair by my chair, a pair in the bathroom, a pair in my desk, a pair in each car, in the storage pocket on the motorcycle, and a pair by my tool bench. I know it sounds excessive, but I always had a pair handy, and never broke or lost any. 8 pairs at $6, is $48, about what the eye Dr. charges before you sit in the chair.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I ordered a set off Amazon that is magnetized at the nose bridge with adjustable loop that goes around the back of the head ( not sure what it's called ). There suit me really well around the house.
    I used to keep a set in just about every room and even in the barn.
    I find my self grabbing the new ones regularly.
    I still have assorted pair around....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Whatcha got?

Explore surgical options. Maybe multi-focal lens implant?

More money up front but I spent way less money on surgery and being glasses free for 18 years now then I would have on 18 years of glasses. Plus I don't have to screw with glasses. Better living through bionics.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Around home I use something like this, eyewear retainer. Super convenient, reading glasses are always with me.

View attachment 155681
    Same. (at least when fishing and I know I'll be swapping sunglasses with readers to tie knots) I need to invest in some bifocal fishing sunglasses.

And after trying the progressives at Meijer, then being prescribed a pair, I continue to wear the Meijer ones. I like them better than the scripts.

And I have moved to just wearing pocket tees, that helps.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    There are snap together glasses, but I never tried them...

s-l1000.jpg
    These are the answer. Made by a company called Clic. If you know the strength you need, just order direct, online.

I work outdoors, in an abusive environment. They've held up well, are inexpensive, and I've yet to lose a pair.

Clicreaders.com

Top Bottom