• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looking for everybodies opinion on a lightweight, affordable and accurate barrel for my Ruger 10-22 Race Rifle.

While I love the factory barrel, I want something that way lighter and will shoot some good groups without breaking the bank.

So let's see the recommendations!

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    check out whistlepig gunbarrel co. funny name i know but absolutely lightest and best shooting you can get. i've got barrels from lilja, douglas, kidd, volquartsen, green mountain, and the wp will stay right in there for accuracy with all of them.

here is link.......http://www.wpgbc.com/.....they are all aluminum with a stainless center.

they have same problem as everybody else right now with keeping up with demand.....daryll

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Have you shot your stock rifle barrel with high quality match grade (eley) ammo off a soild gun rest?
    You maybe surprised how good they are.
    Of course you must have a good scope with ++++power.

Gun rest? Scope? You need to get to an Appleseed, my friend. Learn to shoot 1/4" groups with a sling and iron sights with a bone-stock 10/22. :thumbsup:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have you shot your stock rifle barrel with high quality match grade (eley) ammo off a soild gun rest?
    You maybe surprised how good they are.
    Of course you must have a good scope with ++++power.

Yes I have using my Caldwell lead sled.

Is a Mueller APV 8.5-25x44 good enough scope? :D

I guessed you missed me asking about a lightweight barrel , I just don't have room to lug around my lead sled when I want to go shooting and will be doing it prone or standing, that's a lot of steel hanging out there weighing it down.
    check out whistlepig gunbarrel co. funny name i know but absolutely lightest and best shooting you can get. i've got barrels from lilja, douglas, kidd, volquartsen, green mountain, and the wp will stay right in there for accuracy with all of them.

here is link.......http://www.wpgbc.com/.....they are all aluminum with a stainless center.

they have same problem as everybody else right now with keeping up with demand.....daryll

I was thinking about the Magnum Research Lite Graphite/Carbon Barrel weighing 13.04 ounces, 17 inches in length and 43% cooler to shoot extened periods.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I shot Rifleman on my first Appleseed with a Magnum Lite MLR22AT with that barrel and a Mueller APV scope. My rifle is still WAY better than I am.

Yes I have using my Caldwell lead sled.

Is a Mueller APV 8.5-25x44 good enough scope? :D

I guessed you missed me asking about a lightweight barrel , I just don't have room to lug around my lead sled when I want to go shooting and will be doing it prone or standing, that's a lot of steel hanging out there weighing it down.

I was thinking about the Magnum Research Lite Graphite/Carbon Barrel weighing 13.04 ounces, 17 inches in length and 43% cooler to shoot extened periods.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

I shoot dime sized groups at 75 yards indoors with this barrel.
    I also use an airgun scope with adjustable parralax as you can see.
    22LRRifles5.jpg

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Gun rest? Scope? You need to get to an Appleseed, my friend. Learn to shoot 1/4" groups with a sling and iron sights with a bone-stock 10/22. :thumbsup:

I have seriously been considering doing that with my son. That is specifically why I am searching for a nice takedown 10/22 with the fiber optics sights.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    :rockwoot:If you really want the same result for the least $, msg nemohunter over on Rimfire Central. He has set back and rechambered several bbls for me and does outstanding work. He also will recrown and hand lap the bbl at your request.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom