Mossberg 500A 12ga Barrel Replacement and other Q's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Ok. I have been going over the shot guns that were given to me when my father passed.
    It's a Mossberg 500a 12ga. It has not been touched in atleast 20 years.
    I know both barrels are toast, they have quite a bit of rust.

So my first question is. What is a good replacement barrel. What is a ball park figure for cost of a replacement barrel. (with the gun show coming up i figured i would pick on up there. I figure on getting a shot barrel. I don't hunt and this will most likely end up being a home defense/ tactial shot gun.

And final question.
    What else on these tends to create problems/ any special cleaning advice would you give.

Thanks
    zip

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You should be able to find a replacement factory Mossberg for around $100, +/-.

If you are going to use it for a home defense shotgun, look at the NONrifled, cylinder bore slug barrels with rifle sights.

Josh <><

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    You should be able to find a replacement factory Mossberg for around $100, +/-.

If you are going to use it for a home defense shotgun, look at the NONrifled, cylinder bore slug barrels with rifle sights.

Josh <><

Can you explain your thinking here just a little on why you would pick that. Also thoughts on barrel length. thanks

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    A rifled barrel will get the shot spinning so fast that it will leave the barrel like a whirlwind. Some shot will strike near your feet.

Smoothbore only for shot.

From a smoothbore, "scattershot" does not scatter all that much at room distances. Contrary to popular belief, you still must aim your shotgun. The sights will assist in this.

The short 18.5" barrel will make it more maneuverable. (Ever try to clear a room with a 28" tube? You bang into everything.)

Gotta run into work for a few hours; I'll check this thread when I get home.

Josh <><

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    A rifled barrel will get the shot spinning so fast that it will leave the barrel like a whirlwind. Some shot will strike near your feet.

Smoothbore only for shot.

From a smoothbore, "scattershot" does not scatter all that much at room distances. Contrary to popular belief, you still must aim your shotgun. The sights will assist in this.

The short 18.5" barrel will make it more maneuverable. (Ever try to clear a room with a 28" tube? You bang into everything.)

Gotta run into work for a few hours; I'll check this thread when I get home.

Josh <><
    Newbie here, so I Hope I'm not hijacking the thread--I just got a little confused with talking about a slug barrel, but wanting to use it with shot. Wouldn't most people just get a rifled barrel for shooting slugs? Is there a good reason to use a smooth barrel with slugs?

I do totally understand the barrel length thing. I am just not that familiar with shotguns, but very interested in them.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If you're going to shoot slugs and only slugs, a rifled barrel is preferable so that a spin will be imparted to the slug.

That same spin will cause a shot pattern to come apart literally at your feet.

If you want to shoot both, a smoothbore slug barrel will handle both. The Foster (standard rifled) slugs will group around the size of a pie plate or smaller at 100yds, and buckshot will stay on target, not spinning itself apart.

Josh <><

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    If you're going to shoot slugs and only slugs, a rifled barrel is preferable so that a spin will be imparted to the slug.

That same spin will cause a shot pattern to come apart literally at your feet.

If you want to shoot both, a smoothbore slug barrel will handle both. The Foster (standard rifled) slugs will group around the size of a pie plate or smaller at 100yds, and buckshot will stay on target, not spinning itself apart.

Josh <><

Okay, so that makes sense, a rifled barrel for one thing, a smoothbore slug barrel that can be used for more things. But if you only are going to shoot shot, is there a 3rd type of barrel for that too?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Okay, so that makes sense, a rifled barrel for one thing, a smoothbore slug barrel that can be used for more things. But if you only are going to shoot shot, is there a 3rd type of barrel for that too?

Yes, what you'd want is a 26-28" vent rib barrel with interchangeable chokes.

Be aware that this type is not easy to maneuver in buildings and around doors etc, and is best for sporting purposes.

Josh <><

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Get the 18.5 inch smooth bore, and 28 inch choked barrel.

If you want to deer hunt with it, you could add the 24 inch rifled slug barrel.

shark29er

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help. That all makes a lot of sense. This and the other recent shotgun barrel thread really answered all my current questions about this stuff.

I have the rifled barrel for deer hunting, and wanted to be able to maximize the gun's versatility.

Top Bottom