• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I walked all over 70 acres near Heltonville today and found 0. I did find a sizable shed antler, and a whole 6pt head. Things seemed really dry to me. I'll give it a little more time and go again.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I walked all over 70 acres near Heltonville today and found 0. I did find a sizable shed antler, and a whole 6pt head. Things seemed really dry to me. I'll give it a little more time and go again.

Those would have made it worth the trip!

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I’ve never tried freezing. Are they really any good after freezing?

my Nana always froze some of our find after washing and cutting in half. Later she would let them thaw, bread and fry or toss in the pan with butter and garlic. Couldn’t tell a difference when prepared like that.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Where can you buy these at? It's legal right?
    I won't have land to hunt on this season. By summer this year that will be fixed so I'll be set next year.

I buy them dehydrated from Forest Glory. They are cheaper than chasing after them,(time, fuel, effort) but there is no adventure in it. They dont run "sales", but sometimes have larger quantities at bulk price. Last I bought was the equivilant of 4# fresh, whole morels, but it was right at $100. They last me a while. It takes about 30 minutes soaking in milk or water and it perks them up. They claim to be "wild caught". I fry some, breaded, in butter. I add them as ingredients in dishes other times. Good flavor. Smaller than average. They keep a long time on the shelf.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Where can you buy these at? It's legal right?
    I won't have land to hunt on this season. By summer this year that will be fixed so I'll be set next year.

Not for sure about your area, but there is a place that sells them west of Indy in Putnum Co. It is at the intersection of 36 and 231. I always hear people talking about getting them each year. I could be wrong but it seems like they are around $40 per lb.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    TT, I don't know about down where you're at, but up here Martin's Grocery usually has them for sale. Also there is a little farm market / store they buys / sells them

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thank you guys. I'm going to look into those options. I'm in Johnson county. Glad to know you can buy them. I didnt know if it was like deer meat where you cant buy it here.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    We looked in Parke Co on Thursday and all we found were ramps and scarlet elf cups. Anyway, my buddy tells me that all you need to do is stick a simple digital probe thermometer into the soil and check the temp. You won't find morels unless the soil temp a few inches down is 55-62. So, we tested a few spots that were receiving more sunlight and we were only at 52. Nice to get out into the woods regardless... I would think early next week should bump us above 55.

Top Bottom