Jul 9, 2009

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    OK, I'm not a fan of capital punishment, I admit. But this is godawful:

Prisoner who tried to kill himself is executed in Georgia Anderson Independent Mail

Basically, a guy on death row tries to commit suicide on the day of his scheduled execution. They save his life. Then execute him a week later.

WTF?

You surely know the answer to this.
    Liability.
    Had they let him die by his own hand, the lawsuits would have been flying.
    His lawyer sounds like snake. This man deserved to die.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Liability.

The fact that "liability" against another person's self-harm never entered my mind (with its well-known sterling reputation for reasonableness :): ) is surely all the evidence I need that the entire system is off in the weeds.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Maybe he just heard about the sodium thiopental shortage, and was tying to save them the trouble.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I actually agree %100 with how it was handled. Why should this murderer get to avoid his punishment? Why should we allow him to CHOOSE to avoid his sentence. Why should his victims and thier families be denied their retribution.

This dude participated in executing 3 people, including 2 children. He was sentenced to execution. He should not be allowed to choose to avoid his lawful punishment.

Remember, this guy was almost certainly committing suicide as one last attempt to exert control and end things on his own terms. I am absolutely opposed to allowing convicted murderers who have been sentenced to death to do that.

Joe

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    All it takes is a .22lr. You can have 550 executions for only 20 or 30 bucks. You could get people to sign up for it to carry out the order for free too. This is just silly. Now admittedly opening the executions up to any one would result in some wasted ammo as you probably wont just get crack shots signing up. So we'll say 200 for 20 bucks. What a Deal, about the only thing mroe cost effective is the razors that guy used on himself or gravity.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Liability.

This. When I worked Corrections it was stressed to me repeatedly that if an inmate even ATTEMPTED suicide then that pretty much guaranteed a lawsuit. :n00b:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    This. When I worked Corrections it was stressed to me repeatedly that if an inmate even ATTEMPTED suicide then that pretty much guaranteed a lawsuit. :n00b:

I take a broader interpretation of that advice. Any time an inmate dies, has a seizure, breaks a bone, gets a boo boo, stubs their toe, cuts themself shaving or has a bad day a lawsuit gets filed. There is a cottage industry within the correctional system built up around filing lawsuits.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I take a broader interpretation of that advice. Any time an inmate dies, has a seizure, breaks a bone, gets a boo boo, stubs their toe, cuts themself shaving or has a bad day a lawsuit gets filed. There is a cottage industry within the correctional system built up around filing lawsuits.

Wets the bed due to too much fluid intake late at night...yeesh. The list is endless. I agree with you---any time you have a large amount of people in one area with nothing but time on their hands, they are going to find a way to entertain themselves.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I actually agree %100 with how it was handled. Why should this murderer get to avoid his punishment? Why should we allow him to CHOOSE to avoid his sentence. Why should his victims and thier families be denied their retribution.

This dude participated in executing 3 people, including 2 children. He was sentenced to execution. He should not be allowed to choose to avoid his lawful punishment.

Remember, this guy was almost certainly committing suicide as one last attempt to exert control and end things on his own terms. I am absolutely opposed to allowing convicted murderers who have been sentenced to death to do that.

Joe
    Repped

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    They had to save his life. All I can say is I hope it hurt like HELL!! No sympathy from me. I hope he is burning in hell right now.

I have never understood hoping someone was suffering that, regardless of how they lived on Earth.

Top Bottom