Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Good question.............

You 1st. No baiting here. State your position please.....:p

Lets hear your opinion.
    I don't know.

But I am not the ones quoting statistics about the poor.

So, I would like to know what definition of poor is being used.

Speaking loosely...

Now, last year the INGO position and mine was, the government is putting people out of work. That's how many justified Trump's stimulus.

In many places that hasn't changed, but some want to be up in arms over Biden doing basically the same thing.

Covid has created a discontinuity.

Now some want to say Biden is in the wrong.

I didn't like it when Trump did it. I don't like it when Biden does it.

However are those made poorer by Covid, those at the lower end of the economic spectrum really just blowing all their money in one weekend? I doubt it.

Mike and Bug can talk statistics but are they pre or post covid? How much does one or two years of graduation rates affect Covid statistics? I would believe not much.

The stimulus bills, all of them should have been targeted to those on unemployment plus a margin. That margin should have been somewhere from poor to the low edge of middle class.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Good question.............

You 1st. No baiting here. State your position please.....:p

Lets hear your opinion.
    Its not a question of opinion, its a question of what threshold did the Brookings Institution use in their study to create their 3 rules to escape poverty.

In that case it appears they used the Federal poverty line as their threshold, which makes sense

However it appears that these may not be "rules to escape poverty" but rather effects of not being in poverty to begin with, since it looks like they just looked at people of all income levels and extracted their 3 rules from that (rather than following people in poverty who followed the rules to see if they rose out of poverty, and middle class people who didn't follow the rules to see if they fell into poverty)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Its not a question of opinion, its a question of what threshold did the Brookings Institution use in their study to create their 3 rules to escape poverty.

In that case it appears they used the Federal poverty line as their threshold, which makes sense

However it appears that these may not be "rules to escape poverty" but rather effects of not being in poverty to begin with, since it looks like they just looked at people of all income levels and extracted their 3 rules from that (rather than following people in poverty who followed the rules to see if they rose out of poverty, and middle class people who didn't follow the rules to see if they fell into poverty)

That's the answer was looking for, thanks

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So they also wouldn't care about the price of stocks and bonds, right?
    No. Why would they? But it doesn't matter anyway, because all of this "dOLLaR's gOnNa cOLLaPsE" is a pile of horse ****. That world only exists in the minds of internet doomsturbators.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a feeling that attempting to put your mind at ease would be a futile task. Haven't you stated that you won't live through the next 4 years anyway? Why would you care about your financial future? You've only got a few months left, at best.

Worry is payments made on a debt that you don't owe yet. But you are free to continue to wallow in misery fretting over things that you have absolutely no control over.
    I have a wife and family to try to take care of when I'm gone.

You are obviously free to project whatever emotions you think I'm feeling upon me all you'd like. I'm far from miserable. I gave up worrying about **** I can't control a long time ago, I haven't given up paing attention just yet.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No. Why would they? But it doesn't matter anyway, because all of this "dOLLaR's gOnNa cOLLaPsE" is a pile of horse ****. That world only exists in the minds of internet doomsturbators.

For some reason, the first think that came to mind reading your comment was this...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Do you plan to provide your opposing perspective and reasons behind it or are you just in here to sling ****?

You've established that you believe you're smarter than everyone else with your condescension. Do you have anything of use to add to the conversation or is just popping in for a "nuh uh, you're dumb" every now and then the plan?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I have a wife and family to try to take care of when I'm gone.

You are obviously free to project whatever emotions you think I'm feeling upon me all you'd like. I'm far from miserable. I gave up worrying about **** I can't control a long time ago, I haven't given up paing attention just yet.
    That's a good attitude to have.

I couldn't detect it post election results though, but glad to see that's the goal.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anything that has value only has value because two people agree it does.

And it doesn't matter whether it's gold or your imagination. That rule still applies.

I've seen plenty of instances of people doing some absurdly ridiculous modern art equal to taking a bathroom break on a canvas, and fetch millions for it. People need to let go of the fact value is anything other than imaginary.

Leverboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Indianapolis
    To the $1400, I received a $1400 deposit today from the IRS. Had me confused because we already received the stimulus from a few weeks ago. We certainly don't fit the demo that needs the money. After some investigating, found out it's because my son receives SSI (due to his mom being on disability). They must assume people on SSI need a stimulus. That's my best guess.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ...well you know what they say about that deadly combination of stupidity and arrogance. foolishness is on full display in this thread.
    I have a friend that had several investment properties in Florida back in 2006. When I saw him later I asked how he came out after the real estate market crash, he sold before the crash. I asked why he sold, he went to dinner with a couple in Florida and they were bragging about buying property, mainly new condos from the builder and selling them after they were built, making $30-$50K per. They said the phrase "couldn't lose" many times that evening. He went home and told his wife that if these idiots "couldn't lose" he was selling out immediately.

He sold at a great profit, while the "couldn't lose" folks we're foreclosed on including their home they were leveraging in the "couldn't lose" scheme.

And there you have my attitude to those that say stupid stuff like we often hear about being cautious, prepared, and conservative...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    And there you have my attitude to those that say stupid stuff like we often hear about being cautious, prepared, and conservative...

Well you literally can't lose playing with stimulus money. It's money you didn't have beforehand, and if you don't need it you can afford to lose it lol.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a friend that had several investment properties in Florida back in 2006. When I saw him later I asked how he came out after the real estate market crash, he sold before the crash. I asked why he sold, he went to dinner with a couple in Florida and they were bragging about buying property, mainly new condos from the builder and selling them after they were built, making $30-$50K per. They said the phrase "couldn't lose" many times that evening. He went home and told his wife that if these idiots "couldn't lose" he was selling out immediately.

He sold at a great profit, while the "couldn't lose" folks we're foreclosed on including their home they were leveraging in the "couldn't lose" scheme.

My favorite 'stupid stuff' is "This time is different" :lmfao:

Top Bottom