• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I stomp the runs down and wait a bit and go back out to see if they have popped back up. If so, watch to see the direction they are traveling and stomp fore and aft. A pitchfork will work but I use my Cold Steel spike cane with good results. You can tell when you have got it by the feel. Stab around to make sure and give it a burial by stomping the run down.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

I’ve had great success with traps of this style. The EasySet Mole Eliminator is another of the same type, and there are Chicom knockoffs as well.

Assuming you have a decent trap that works, your technique is key. As with most things, if the tool is good, it’s the tool-user that’s the more important factor.

I walk the yard and when I find a tunnel I flatten a 4 to 6 inch section crossways with my boot and mark it with a survey flag. Check the flags at half a day later, and set traps on any that are pushed back up.

Leave the traps for 24 hours, and if they’re not tripped move them to another tunnel section that has been pushed up.

Works great. I can trap virtually all the moles out of an area the size of a typical yard in a week tops (normally run 2-3 traps).

This way you’re only trapping active tunnels. Trapping unused tunnels is a waste of time.

Don’t buy the conventional wisdom/nonsense there are only 5-6 moles in an acre. Depending on your soil conditions there can be many, many more. When we moved into our current house, the lot of which is maybe half an acre, I think I initially trapped about 50 moles out of the yard. Completely eradicated them for a couple of years, and then as with most vacuums in nature, moles from adjacent areas eventually found the way back in, and I had to do another round of trapping. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The moles I have build mounds in the yard. Sometimes they’re huge. I finally figured out how to control them: find a mound that’s fresh, so you know they’re in the area. Dig down until you find the tunnel and clear as much as you can with your fingers. Stick a poison worm in there and cover the hole with a piece of cardboard. I spread the dirt back over to keep it dark. Those worms are kind of expensive. Some people I know cut them in half and say they have good results still.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I’ve had great success with traps of this style. The EasySet Mole Eliminator is another of the same type, and there are Chicom knockoffs as well.

Assuming you have a decent trap that works, your technique is key. As with most things, if the tool is good, it’s the tool-user that’s the more important factor.

I walk the yard and when I find a tunnel I flatten a 4 to 6 inch section crossways with my boot and mark it with a survey flag. Check the flags at half a day later, and set traps on any that are pushed back up.

Leave the traps for 24 hours, and if they’re not tripped move them to another tunnel section that has been pushed up.

Works great. I can trap virtually all the moles out of an area the size of a typical yard in a week tops (normally run 2-3 traps).

This way you’re only trapping active tunnels. Trapping unused tunnels is a waste of time.

Don’t buy the conventional wisdom/nonsense there are only 5-6 moles in an acre. Depending on your soil conditions there can be many, many more. When we moved into our current house, the lot of which is maybe half an acre, I think I initially trapped about 50 moles out of the yard. Completely eradicated them for a couple of years, and then as with most vacuums in nature, moles from adjacent areas eventually found the way back in, and I had to do another round of trapping. Rinse and repeat.
    I just have one trap and it is like that one, I need to do better at placement in the tunnel, will be working on that. I will probably buy a couple more traps, maybe a different kind to try the others suggested. Jim.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I had always heard maybe 2 to 3 per acre :).............................Definitely nonsense .
    I think I stopped counting last year at around at least a dozen caught with the traditional spring trap in about a 2 acre area.
    From the looks of my yards this year , I should be busier than last year .

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Get some St Gabriel’s Milky Spore. It keeps building up year after year after applying. It poisons the grubs and kills their food source.

Also the best trap I’ve found is the GopherHawk. That trap coupled with milky spore at least keeps them at bay.

GopherHawk Single Trap for... Amazon product ASIN B01N06O80F

Milky spore. Don’t get the granules get the powder instead. Also don’t forget the application tube. It’s cheap and one time use.

Gardener's Supply Company Milky... Amazon product ASIN B000BX4VHE

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wrigley's spearmint gum.
    Seriously.
    As long as you can find an active hole, or run.

Moles are almost blind, but have a very good sense of smell.
    Roll up a stick of spearmint gum long wise, to resemble a worm.
    Insert the gum "worm" into the hole or poke it into the active run.

Moles love spearmint, and will ingest the gum worm.
    That is more or less the end of the mole.
    They cannot digest gum, and they cannot regurgitate.
    They end up dying of bowel impaction.

Cheap, easy, and not dangerous to kids or household pets.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Wrigley's spearmint gum.
    Seriously.
    As long as you can find an active hole, or run.

Moles are almost blind, but have a very good sense of smell.
    Roll up a stick of spearmint gum long wise, to resemble a worm.
    Insert the gum "worm" into the hole or poke it into the active run.

Moles love spearmint, and will ingest the gum worm.
    That is more or less the end of the mole.
    They cannot digest gum, and they cannot regurgitate.
    They end up dying of bowel impaction.

Cheap, easy, and not dangerous to kids or household pets.
    The not being a threat to kids or pets is HUGE.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Years ago Jerry Baker had a show on Public Education channel, WKNO-TV Memphis, TN is where I watched it. He made tonics for the lawn.
    Mole control:
    When pruning roses and blackberries stick the stake in the mole run. Press down and cut at ground level every 2 to 4 feet. Use all of the stake you can. They get stuck by the thrones.
    Chew up some sweat gum, bubble gum, Juicy Fruit. Place half of it in a tunnel, other half a few feet away. Every 2 to 4 feet. It gets stuck in their fur.
    Hair trimmings from a barber/beauty shops. Small amount in the tunnels every 2 to 4 feet. It gets stuck in their fur.
    Collect male pee, pour a cup in the tunnel every 2 to 4 feet. They don't like it on their fur. Don't use female pee, it can kill the grass.
    The bad thing about these is the mole will make a new tunnel around that area.
    I had a 75X150 foot garden and didn't want moles or voles in it. These are good for about a 60 foot circle. I had 10 down both sides and 1 at center at both ends. No mole problems. Helps keep deer and rabbits out too. Best product for the money. https://www.harborfreight.com/solar-mole-chaser-94661.html?_br_psugg_q=mole+chaser

Top Bottom