• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a ps3 and a ps4 that i am connecting to the internet. As a gamer, having an open NAT is important to me. But when i connect my ps3 to the internet through the router, a handful of games report a moderate NAT (however the connection test in the ps3 reports Type 2 which i thought was fine for a router connection.

If i connect the ps3 directly to the modem, i get type 1 and the games are reporting open NAT. That leads me to believe that the isp is fine and has no trouble on their end nor a firewall of any kind on their end.

If i turn the firewall off in the router, i get no change, still moderate NAT. I have been succesfull with DMZ on the ps3 but i now need to connect the ps3 and the ps4 so cant really DMZ them both, only one address at a time. I need it to work correctly without that.

My question is, do i have router setting problems or even just a bad router?

edit edit. i do remember trying to port forward specific playstation network ports last year and that was also unsuccessful which is why i did DMZ.

edit. its xfinity internet with a couple year old wrt54gl router. some motorolla modem or something.

DMZ is only for one device. It's a "Demilitarized zone", basically zero firewall.

You will need to assign each device an IP address and port forward (open) the required ports for each device. It's a pain, but it is what it is.

Post your router model or a screenshot of your router admin page and I will try to help you. I'm very familiar with doing this for peeps on the 360 and will have to repeat when I get my Xbox One in a month.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Since you wouldn't be removing the 2-Wire unit things should be no problem. Just move your x-box and other things that are yours to the netgear unit.

If your settings are the same as mine, login to your uverse router settings, go to the Settings tab, then the LAN tab, and find the IP Address Allocation section. You'll probably have a few things listed in there but the public address should be assigned to the 2-Wire device. You want to change that device to a private address and assign the public address to your netgear router. It should look something like the picture attached. Since I don't have the 2-Wire device connected, it doesn't even show on my settings but you can see that the Address assignment is set on my WRT320. Take a screenshot or write down the existing settings then you can change back if something doesn't work the way you wanted.
    Well, I switched it over and it SEEMS to work wonderfully. I tested the Xbox connection and it came up perfect...something that it has never done before in the year that we have had it. The NAT showed "open" as opposed to "Strict". Online gaming was better. Thanks a million for the advice.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, I switched it over and it SEEMS to work wonderfully. I tested the Xbox connection and it came up perfect...something that it has never done before in the year that we have had it. The NAT showed "open" as opposed to "Strict". Online gaming was better. Thanks a million for the advice.
    You're welcome. I know the ISPs want to simplify their support by having you use their equipment, but AT&T makes it too difficult to use your own equipment. It took me many nights of tinkering to figure out how to bypass it all.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You're welcome. I know the ISPs want to simplify their support by having you use their equipment, but AT&T makes it too difficult to use your own equipment. It took me many nights of tinkering to figure out how to bypass it all.

I've got straight naked ethernet in from the ONT now, but if you have to go through an ISP provided router and don't want to, just hook up your own router and DMZ the IP assigned to it, just make sure your router assigns addresses on a different subnet. Most newer ones will detect and do that automatically. I've unfortunately been subject to ISP's before who put you behind their own gateway and won't give you a raw internet connection. REALLY annoying.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    DMZ is only for one device. It's a "Demilitarized zone", basically zero firewall.

You will need to assign each device an IP address and port forward (open) the required ports for each device. It's a pain, but it is what it is.

Post your router model or a screenshot of your router admin page and I will try to help you. I'm very familiar with doing this for peeps on the 360 and will have to repeat when I get my Xbox One in a month.

OK, i had said i got success from a firmware update. THAT WAS A LIE. It only worked for a couple of days, if that. I tried port forwarding before i did a firmware update and was unsuccessful which is why i did the dmz. but like you mentioned, that is only for one device and now that i have two devices, i will have to try port forwarding again. i dont know if i had the wrong ports, or if this router is really fighting me that bad.

so where i stand now... i will try port forwarding again after the update.
    if that doesnt work, then maybe third party firmware.
    then port forwarding on third party firmware.
    then if still no go... i need a recammendation on a new router.

so what ports need to be opened for the ps3 and what ports need to be opened for the ps4. i believe they are diffrerent networks, however i am not sure
    the router is a linksys wrt54gl build 1.1 with firmware 4.30.16 build 6.
    should i use the single port forward or port range forward tab??

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    AAARGGGG. all i did so far is give a my ps3 a static ip. which is step one in port forwarding and it has an open Nat again after the the connection test. im happy but not really. because that should not have fixed anything really so im afraid its NOT a permanent fix. i had literally done nothing in the router settings yet.

was it assigning automatic ips incorrectly? is that even a possibility? or is it a fluke and i need to continue with port forwarding?

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    AAARGGGG. all i did so far is give a my ps3 a static ip. which is step one in port forwarding and it has an open Nat again after the the connection test. im happy but not really. because that should not have fixed anything really so im afraid its NOT a permanent fix. i had literally done nothing in the router settings yet.

was it assigning automatic ips incorrectly? is that even a possibility? or is it a fluke and i need to continue with port forwarding?

Sounds like you may have port forwarding setup correctly however did you assign a static IP to your PS4?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

It is possible that your router is giving two devices the same IP. I had this issue once, and once I assigned permanent IP's for everything we use, it went away.

I do not know the ports for PS3/4, but I'm sure google will lead you to them. Do you know HOW to open them? If not, either post a screenshot of your router login page or your router info.

It's a royal PITA to setup most days, but once you do the work you should come out very happy.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    actually, right now, no ports are manually forwarded. when i started this thread 6 days ago, i had just done a "factory reset" on the router to know that i was starting from ground zero.
    so either its a fluke and fluctuates and will go back to moderate or strict... or like Double T said, the automatic assignments in the router might have been clashing with other computers or the ps4. Yes i have now given both my 3 and 4 and static ip about 25 units apart 25 units and 50 units higher than the dhcp range respectively.

edit. what i have done to the router settings so far are reset them to stock, then updated firmware, added a wifi password and adjusted the timezone. thats pretty much it. it was open for a day or two then went back.

added a static ip to the ps4 and ps3. (which is not done in the router settings obviously but on the device itself) its open again for now but i dont yet know if its a permanent fix

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Static ip's are addressed in router. You're probably getting restricted NAT when the assigned ip leases expir
    You can set the ip's based on the devices mac address. Then y
    You will open ports for those two ip's.are

Punching in an ip in the ps3/ps4 wont fix your issue.

What router

Top Bottom