• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Since the MLB postseason is once again upon us, I figured we needed a clean and respectable place to sit down and discuss it ;)
    Who are your AL and NL picks as we go through the postseason and who do you think will make it to the big show?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Big Brewers fan here. I was really pumped after yesterday's win over the Cubs to take the division.

I'm not a big fan of these one game wild-card match ups. Not really fair to get bounced after one loss. But this time of year any team that gets hot can go all the way.

I didn't follow the AL that closely this year, but there are a lot of really good teams on that side of the bracket.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As a long time Braves fan I am happy to see them in the post season. However, I do not see them doing much.

Now, if we could bring Smoltz out of retirement, then we may have a chance. :)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm hoping the long suffering sports fans of Boston get another shot. ;)
    Team is looking decent this year.

EDIT: Yeah, Smoltz would help just bit!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Cubs/Rockies WC Game

Eighth inning double play (4-6-3) sure looked like the runner got to second base before the ball. The only thing that I can figure is that the runner slid into Baez's foot rather than actually touching the base.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Huge baseball fan and we have already seen some good games. I’m thinking a Brewers/Athletics WS would be awesome. Some teams (Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees) are trying to buy their titles. I’m almost always an underdog fan. The way the Rockies have played the last 2 games I don’t see them going anywhere if they don’t start playing better ball. Should be a fun postseason! Sure with the Reds were still playing. (See what I’m saying about being an underdog fan?)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Cubs fan but I can get behind brewers winning it all now. Cubs were good but not great this season. Still a whole lot better then years ago. Besides, I have nothing against the brewers unlike reds and cardinal fans and don’t have to worry about those two teams going farther then the cubs.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Now that the Cubs are eliminated, I'm hoping for a Milwaukee vs. Cleveland WS.

I'm glad Cleveland missed out in 2016, so it would be good for them to get one now. The Brewers feel like little brothers in the NL Central, so I'd like to see them win one, too.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Huge baseball fan and we have already seen some good games. I’m thinking a Brewers/Athletics WS would be awesome. Some teams (Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees) are trying to buy their titles. I’m almost always an underdog fan. The way the Rockies have played the last 2 games I don’t see them going anywhere if they don’t start playing better ball. Should be a fun postseason! Sure with the Reds were still playing. (See what I’m saying about being an underdog fan?)
    I hear this accusation all the time being a Yankees fan about them buying their titles. I think people better look and see whos actualy been the top spending teams. Hasnt been the Yankees. .Yankees have 27 world series wins and soon to be 28. Peoples who's teams lose all the time just hate winners.
    I wasnt surprised to see the cubs lose and not make it. I saw it coming. They dont want it anymore. Like some Cubs fans, they seem satisfied now. Itll probably be another 100 years until they win another ws.
    I predict the Yankees as the WS champs this year.that was my pick last year too. But I feel it even stronger this year than I did last year and I've said it from the start of the season
    No matter who wins I just love baseball and I hope we see some great games.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think the Astros are still the favorites. This is a one league discussion. Every team in the NL is outclassed by every team in the AL. Crazy things happen and the Dodgers could somehow eke out a win but it is highly unlikely as their pitching is flawed. Every AL team remaining is better than every NL team but most still have some warts. With Cleveland it's the bullpen, with the Red Sox and the Yankees it's thin starting pitching. Houston has the best starting pitching and a very respectable bullpen which will be augmented by the starters they won't need to use. All of the AL teams have long, solid lineups. The Yankees defense, particularly on the infield is suspect. The Red Sox have superb outfield defense but average on the infield. Cleveland's infield defense is good but there outfield is average at best. Houston's defense is above average both in the infield and outfield. As I said, anything can happen in sports and particularly baseball where hot streaks and just plain old dumb luck can carry a team for a few games or a series. I personally think Houston is the team to beat with the Red Sox and Yankees neck and neck as the runners up. As for the NL? Who cares. They will be/should be easily dismissed by whomever rises in the AL. My money is on Houston for the above reasons.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I can only hope that the Baseball Gods allow the Yankees to beat Boston and head on to the World Series. Then all will be right with the world and it will return to its axis regarding baseball. GO YANKEES!!!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think the Astros are still the favorites. This is a one league discussion. Every team in the NL is outclassed by every team in the AL. Crazy things happen and the Dodgers could somehow eke out a win but it is highly unlikely as their pitching is flawed. Every AL team remaining is better than every NL team but most still have some warts. With Cleveland it's the bullpen, with the Red Sox and the Yankees it's thin starting pitching. Houston has the best starting pitching and a very respectable bullpen which will be augmented by the starters they won't need to use. All of the AL teams have long, solid lineups. The Yankees defense, particularly on the infield is suspect. The Red Sox have superb outfield defense but average on the infield. Cleveland's infield defense is good but there outfield is average at best. Houston's defense is above average both in the infield and outfield. As I said, anything can happen in sports and particularly baseball where hot streaks and just plain old dumb luck can carry a team for a few games or a series. I personally think Houston is the team to beat with the Red Sox and Yankees neck and neck as the runners up. As for the NL? Who cares. They will be/should be easily dismissed by whomever rises in the AL. My money is on Houston for the above reasons.
    Very excellent breakdown BA. I deffinately agree with the NL assesment. The NL usualy is never as good as the AL, with exceptions of coarse. In 2016 I just knew it was the cubs year. Seeing them live in person playing several games that year it was just amazing. I felt this same way this year when I watched the Yankees in person.
    I'm an overall baseball fan. My love for the game is more for the older teams 1960's and older. And the 80's and 90's of growing up. The strike ruined the game. Its finaly coming back to glory and respect and I'm so happy

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well Yankees choked now the Red Sox move on. The better Team won this year.
    I'll cheer for the red sox going forward but I think that the Astros will win it all now, but hopefully Boston can do it.
    I hope we see some great game play. The red sox have a fire in their belly that will be hard to put out. They are due.
    I still dont see NL having anything for the AL

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I am an underdog/ small market fan. The Brewers are the only team left that aren’t in the top 10 on salary and spending. Milwaukee is 22nd. I was a huge Brewers fan in the early 80s. Brewers all the way!
    Failing that, Houston. I don’t ever want to see a NY team, LA team, Chicago team, or Boston ever win it again.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The Houston/Boston series will be, in effect, the World Series this year. Both teams are clearly superior to either remaining NL team. But, in baseball, anything can happen. It's just really difficult to imagine either of the NL teams winning the WS against either Boston or Houston.

Top Bottom