• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Went to the store on Saturday and as I opened the truck door the wind blew the door from my hand and violently slamed toward.

The momentum bent the henge's, the front of the door was slightly stuck inside the quarter panel. Rubbing steel on steel and chipping paint off as I attempted to close the door.

The door was so out of wack it would not close. The latching mechinisim would not line up to the post it latches to. Decided it would be unwise to go shopping with my door open. I tied the door shut much as it could with a rope to the female end of the seat belt. Held on firmly to the door and drove a half mile home pissed at myself and the world.

Luckily for me I have a Father that could fix things and taught me how to fix things. Dad showed me how to "fix" a car door out of line when I worked for him as a car rental mechanic.

I put a 13/16" deep well socket in between the door and the henge and pushed it closed about 20 times. This pushed the door back to where it needs to be and I can now shut the door. The gap between door and quarter panel is not bad at all now, almost looks factory.

Hopefully you don't hold your door handle like a little girl holding her doll like I did. But if your door gets away from you in 50mph wind burst you can use the trick to get it fixed.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Had a lady open her door a few wind storms back and it put a huge crease and took the paint of my wife's car, we were sitting in the car, she just looked at us with a stupid look on her face.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Had a lady open her door a few wind storms back and it put a huge crease and took the paint of my wife's car, we were sitting in the car, she just looked at us with a stupid look on her face.

If there would of been a car next to me it would of ****ed it up big time. If there would been a small child there it would of launched them across the parking lot. That door was moving at a good clip.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I seen a lot of folks learn that lesson in Kansas the hard way. Laid the door all the way up against the fender in a couple instances.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Had my door banged up pretty bad due to someone else's mistake years ago.
    I get a firm grip on the door now. Even so, saturday was pretty whippy. Lost a receipt across the parking lot. No way I could run fast enough to catch it, and just let it go.
    Good to know on re-aligning a door! Thanks!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'll tell ya, people will go to the ER for any minor scrape these days. Riggs taught me in Lethal Weapon you can just slam your shoulder into the wall an pop that puppy right back in there.

After having read this thread, I've installed 13/16" sockets in both shoulders for just such an occasion.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep
    My job involves driving to multiple buildings on a large work site, each of which we have to exit our truck for to go inside before going to the next building.
    Lots of opportunities for high winds to take the truck door and totally spring it, as happened three years ago, when one of the women working the same job that I do didn't hang on to the door of the S-10 she was driving and caused the door to driver side door to snap its hinge enough that the door actually slammed into the fender!

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    This reminds me of a friend's old Isuzu Trooper II that had a door completely ripped off by a stiff wind. That sure was one flimsy truck. Sorry to hear about your ride getting damaged.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    My wife let my car door fly yesterday. It hit the mirror of the car next to us. No damage to the mirror, but I have an imprint and paint scratch of the corner of the mirror on my door now. Needless to say we didn't speak a lot last night.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Y'all gotta learn to park facing the flow.:):

I had the door on my last semi snatched away from me one blustery day. If I had not had a hank of parachute cord with me, it would have needed towed. Tied it shut and drove it to the shop.

Top Bottom