• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was as surprised as anyone. We've tested several striker fired pistols and the M&P was the first to have such serious issues with the water. We checked and double checked, and this particular gun does not like having water in it. I know some folks will swear up and down this is impossible, or their S&W's have hundreds of thousands of trouble free rounds through them, but what you see in the video is what really happened. <shrug>

Something something... "you did it wrong" something something... "mine wouldn't have done that".

As snug as the M&P striker assembly fits in the striker channel, I'm honestly not surprised with the hydrolock issue. There is one small drain hole and he actual hole for the firing pin is much smaller than on the Glock as well... no where really for water to go in a hurry. I wonder is some modification could be made to work like maritime cups for the M&P?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How important is it that you have a gun that functions after it has been fully submerged in water? I get being prepared, but I'm not looking to go navy seal anytime soon...

The answer is directly proportionate to how likely the pistol (or you and the pistol) are to end up in the drink.

Far less likely in day to day activity than say, on a canoe trip.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    How important a firearms reliability is to you is only something you can answer. If you honestly feel your moment of truth will come in a sterile environment, then don't concern yourself with how well your gun works when exposed to common elements. It's a matter of personal preference.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Something something... "you did it wrong" something something... "mine wouldn't have done that".

As snug as the M&P striker assembly fits in the striker channel, I'm honestly not surprised with the hydrolock issue. There is one small drain hole and he actual hole for the firing pin is much smaller than on the Glock as well... no where really for water to go in a hurry. I wonder is some modification could be made to work like maritime cups for the M&P?

The striker channel sleeve on M&P has straight lands and grooves like barrel rifling.

This, in effect, is the same as maritime cups for the glock pistol.

How important a firearms reliability is to you is only something you can answer. If you honestly feel your moment of truth will come in a sterile environment, then don't concern yourself with how well your gun works when exposed to common elements. It's a matter of personal preference.

MAC, do you feel if the standard hinged M&P trigger were still in place, would the sand, dirt, mud have caused a malfuction with the trigger safety?

I'm wondering if anything got in the hinge, would the trigger safety be able to work properly.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It was mainly the water test that was most concerning... It's for that reason the trigger is more of a non issue there. The gun failed before it ever saw sand, dirt, or mud.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am curious if the water issue is common to all calibers/variants and to all examples of the MP9 full size. I may just dunk mine to find out where mine falls. I am really curious if it is systemic or not.

I was thinking about trying it as well... been a while since I detail stripped it anyway.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am curious if the water issue is common to all calibers/variants and to all examples of the MP9 full size. I may just dunk mine to find out where mine falls. I am really curious if it is systemic or not.

Let us know how it does.. I was honestly thinking of dunking one too just for the fun of it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The striker channel sleeve on M&P has straight lands and grooves like barrel rifling.

This, in effect, is the same as maritime cups for the glock pistol.

Interesting... mine does not (made late 2012). It's perfectly smooth and the "cup" on the striker fits almost like a piston. I wonder when they started adding the grooves, and if MAC's has them.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Interesting... mine does not (made late 2012). It's perfectly smooth and the "cup" on the striker fits almost like a piston. I wonder when they started adding the grooves, and if MAC's has them.

Well that has me wondering now.

It was pointed out in the AGI M&P armorers course video, and he was holding an older M&P. Wonder if its something they phased out?

Picture screencapped from the AGI video. Looking at the rear sight, it doesn't have the step so I'm guessing he's using a pre-2012 cutaway.

Screenshot - 09202016 - 12:38:32 AM.png

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Awesome video, MAC. Looks like an aftermarket upgrade to the striker channel is a must.

Tell your our buddy I like the knife hand. Interesting technique with the thumb straight up, lol.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    One reason I picked the M&P over the Glock was that I have a friend that ran into someone doing testing for LMPD to see if the M&P would be selected to replace their (then) current sidearm (I assume Glocks). The test was to see how many rounds it could fire before failing with minimal cleaning. They were up to 12,000 and were still going strong. This, along with talking with people I trust and reading reviews online, plus the feel of the M&P in my hand lead me to choose it. Considering the times I am submerged, or at the beach I am confident in the performance of both my M&P's.
    Ironically the M&P has some well known, fairly serious, issues which is why S&W will soon be releasing a M&P II. Don't believe me? Do a little Googling and wait a few more months.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Awesome video, MAC. Looks like an aftermarket upgrade to the striker channel is a must.

Tell your our buddy I like the knife hand. Interesting technique with the thumb straight up, lol.
    I've heard, but can't confirm, S&W has made cuts to the striker channels of later model M&P's to alleviate the hydrolocking issues. This is internet scuttlebutt so I don't place much stock in it. The pistol I used is about 5 years old.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Interesting. I think an SR9 would be good to see. If he doesn't, maybe I'll just do one of my own. :)

I watched a similar test, actually a little more harsh. Glock vs Ruger. Sadly, the Ruger did not do very well. The Glock was pretty impressive. And I am NOT a Glock guy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JJSHOOTS
    Top Bottom