• ...and so much more!
  • abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    BAD day at the range...

I AM ON AMBIEN AS WE SPEAK SO I FEEL MY MAIN POINTS GET ACCROSS HOWEVER DONT GET TO CAUGHT UP IN THE SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND SUCH.

I am up at Elkhart with my wife and kids to visit the in-laws for the holiday. My Father in law suggested the other day that we go to the range at some point and fire off a few rounds. I jumped at the chance and said ok. I didn't anticipate this happening before I packed for the trip so I didn't bring anything...not even my carry weapon (please don't jack the thread). So we decided today would be the day that we went and he Recommended Midwest Gun & Range ****Not to be confused with Midwest Gun Exchange, same ownership different business.****

Apparently he works with the daughter of the owner or daughter in law or whatever so he says it is a legit place to go. Mind you I went with him to the same location last year and had no issues with that visit. However, today was a day of annoyances that added up enough that I thought I should share.

First things first they asked for our ID and of course my brother in law left his at his office so he wouldn't be able to participate. Then they brazenly explained the rules of which we were all aware and took all responsibility yet they still wanted to put us down a peg.

Since I said I came with nothing prepaired I wouldhave to shoot one of there rental guns. I instantly saw the kimber solo and i have pondered on this gun for a while but I figured why not get some real work with the gun before O make a purchase.

I asked for glasses amd hearing protrection . That gave me another handfull about not having my ppe. Whatver dude was right.

my father hadbeen looking for a ccw in 9 and in .380 for his wife. WEll they didn't have any 380 so we settle forthe 9.

once back my first mag had 3 fte 2ftf
    we toook turns and each time had similar resiulsts.
    '

after battling this for a while we get a worker and he says he isn't extracting the shells.

we continue to shot witj a fjunction on every turn.

we stopp wieht aabout a half of a box left. The gun was not loading/unloading./didn't see anything safe about the whole process.

i am aware that it was a rental gun and I expect it but damn we couldn't catc a break. I can go on about the workers but that wi;ll be in a thread down lower.\\\

THIS RANT IS ONLY ABOUT USING THE KIMBER SOLO 9MM FOR TARGET

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    *****************not to confuse you with Midwest Gun Exchange*****************

I went with my father in law and my brother in law to have some good affternoon fun. My brother in law forgot his id at his office so he woldn't be able to back but that is on him. We finally get up to give our info to get a lane and we are working with one gentleman. We are in a middle of transaction so He is MY guy. Meedless to say we waited and waited while he made numerous call and spoke with people inside the store. I could cut slack for the fact that he was very courteous and responsive. He wasnt. There seemed to be one guy there that was the head guy because he would jump in on every conversation and try to out knowledge he could then walk away. We finally get set up and I chose to rent the Kimber Solo as it is a gun I have thought I might like for myself.

Mistake.

I know from experience that range guns are not gonna give you a dead accurate picture but wanted to shoot it anyway.

I stopped countin the FTF after 10.
    I stopped countin the fte after about 15.
    The gun jammed at leaset five times.
    And the thing that was most confusincing was when the slide would lock back with a full mag but never lock back once when empty like it it supposed too.

We called a range officer and of course he says they have never had any of hese issues till now. Very condescending as if I don't these horrible thing to make the gun suck. I asked about just switchin out for another 9 mm and they tried to charge so I was done. If you don't know they have signs all over to was your hands. The soap dispenser was empty and the paper towels were empty as well. Everyone was in a foul mood. I left with the feeling that I had no desire to ever go back. :twocents:
    '

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have used that Range a couple of dozen times over the past year and have never had any problems. Maybe they know my face by now, but they have always been good people to deal with.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I've been over there a few times as well. Some things that I noticed.

1. They are a gun store with an active indoor range.

2. As such, they are HELL on the range rules. If you can not handle a business's range rules, find another range, or go shooting in the back 40 somewhere.

3. They are hard on the rules because they get stupid people going through there from time to time. Please note, that stupid people do not have this written on their foreheads, nor is it in invisible ink. Thus, they have to make sure those rules are driven into people's heads. The fact that your group was: a)not bringing your own guns. b)had members not bringing ID's c)generally unprepared - can lead someone to believe that you MIGHT belong in that category. It's nothing against you, it's for you and everyone's safety.

4. Occasionally, you get people that you deal with that think that they know it all. It happens HERE as a matter of fact. Take it with a grain of salt when they talk, but you never know, they might impart some piece of wisdom that you weren't aware of.

5. Back to the rental guns. They are rentals, and sometimes they'll be neglected. I haven't HAD to rent a gun there, so I couldn't tell you the general quality there, so I'll refrain from too much comment there.

6. And you can always bring this matter up at Midwest there in Mishawaka, from what it sounds like, the owner is there a good chunk of the time.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You show up at the range, some in your party has no ID, some have no guns, no safety gear, and a crappy attitude, and you get frosted because they want to make sure you understand the range rules?

I can totally see your point.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'm on the Range's side. I was there a couple of month's ago and there was a family there that was clueless. They even had an employee standing over their shoulder the whole time.
    They originally put me in a lane next to them, but after 5 minutes I went back in and had them move me to the farthest lane away from them. Hard to aim when your constantly having to look to the right to make sure nobodys pointing anything your way.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    who cares about weed, we need to watch out for people on Ambien.

With all the sleep walking, sleep driving etc, I can only imagine the dangers of someone with a gun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not know that range, but I can tell you that almost everyone moans about having to be briefed with the range rules. Of course many people either cannot listen or cannot learn. I have shot at indoor and outdoor ranges in at least 15 States. Almost every time, some "know it all" will violate the range rules. Like carrying a loaded firearm in their hand away from the line, sweeping the crowd with the barrel of a loaded arm. People doing some kind of sloppy "rambo" hip shooting, putting bullets over the berm, into the ground right in front of the line or slopping bullets on other peoples targets. I just experienced someone dropping the slide behind my back while I was in my lane. I know for a fact that he was just given the safety briefing 15 minutes earlier. He then the dangerous fool decided to tell me that he "knows what he is doing". What a jerk. These are real firearms, that shoot real bullets, that can kill real people. The workers at a range are doing everything possible to make sure everyone has a good experience and goes home safe. I try to give them respect and the benefit of the doubt if they come across too demanding.

On the other issue, I would be disappointed with a rental gun and/or range ammo that would not work. Any rental get a lot of use/abuse, and can break down. They should have at least tried to give you something else to shoot for your paid time and ammo.

Top Bottom