• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Our Electrolux built-in died about 2 months ago. The Maggie shorted and started blowing flames across the entire width of the machine inside. Most impressive. I saved the magnets off the magnetron and sent the rest to the dump. It's been a long time since we haven't had a built in...went out to the garage and took an old Kenmore off the shelf that we'd been storing since forever...old enough to proudly have SOLID STATE printed on the front. Fills the hole and works just fine.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's lucky to be alive, then there's professional. I don't know where to draw the line, but I know I've been bit enough times, sometimes with exotic hardware. I used to get paid for the stuff you look back at with horror :): The worst one was 480VAC inside a Tektronix 564 WHAM!! I slammed my foot down hard enough to make my mom rush upstairs thinking the house was about to collapse. A microwave oven is just a radio transmitter at about 2.5GHz with the output aimed into the food. In fact, the oven function was discovered when one of the engineers working on a microwave RADAR found his chocolate bar had melted in his pocket. Shortly after that, he discovered the principle of not standing in front of the waveguide.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have absorbed way too much RF radiation during my life. I went through a depot maintenance course on a set of radar systems...had to use nonmagnetic tools so the maggies wouldn't suck them up. Those things ran with 300vDC, they would kill you in a heartbeat. Then there was the klystron based system...putting out 4.3MW that would make all the CRTs within a mile roll...they said 'don't worry, it won't hurt you...then the trees all died around the tower...

It's one of the reasons I hate going to airports...I've been zapped enough already.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have absorbed way too much RF radiation during my life. I went through a depot maintenance course on a set of radar systems...had to use nonmagnetic tools so the maggies wouldn't suck them up. Those things ran with 300vDC, they would kill you in a heartbeat. Then there was the klystron based system...putting out 4.3MW that would make all the CRTs within a mile roll...they said 'don't worry, it won't hurt you...then the trees all died around the tower...

It's one of the reasons I hate going to airports...I've been zapped enough already.

That brings back memories of Great Lakes ET "A" school.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's a 15A ¼x1¼ slow blow fuse that feeds the cavity magnetron. You can pick one of those up for a quarter or so at Ace or wherever. It shouldn't be too hard to find in the unit. If that doesn't fix it, yeah, it's pretty well shuffled off this mortal coil. I mean, I've resurrected a couple that way, and anything can be fixed, but just not worth it. I've done scary things with microwave ovens :scared:

This right here, if it's anything else just toss it and buy a new one. We go thru a LOT of microwaves here at work but it used to be a ****load until I showed the guys this little fuse. Drastically reduced our microwave costs! if it blows it again then it becomes a target.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I went through FC "A" school there, it was a cold place....
    I currently watch over two 50KW DTV transmitters, when things go sideways you know in a hurry.

It's been too long.
    I learned on a AN/SPS-10 Surface Search. I see that it was retired in 1998, which is a long run since it came into service around WWII

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Once you let the smoke out you can't put it back.

As a kid, I took Dad's tape measure apart.
    That springy metal doesn't go back either.
    Just a note, if Dad has an old tape measure, and a new tape measure, maybe think about taking the old one apart.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As a kid, I took Dad's tape measure apart.
    That springy metal doesn't go back either.
    Just a note, if Dad has an old tape measure, and a new tape measure, maybe think about taking the old one apart.

My dad would have been relatively happy if I took apart his tape measure...I took apart the engine on his new Rototiller. He's a WWII and Korean war vet and still hasn't completely forgiven me for that. It was a nice Rototiller.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My dad would have been relatively happy if I took apart his tape measure...I took apart the engine on his new Rototiller. He's a WWII and Korean war vet and still hasn't completely forgiven me for that. It was a nice Rototiller.

I first read that as Rottweiler.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Fridge broke yesterday. 16 years old. Getting a new roof this year also. Just paid the taxman. I'm not sure how far it's gonna get shoved in there, but it's probably gonna get alot deeper. Just waiting for the HVAC, to crap out. It's orginal to the house.

Been looking at microwaves and refrigerators. When the crap did they get so expensive. I don't want a damn smart fridge to orders groceries for me! Getting ready just to move my 30+ year old Sears Coldspot Spot into the house. Where would I keep my beer at though?

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    It is now a good target. They are so cheap that repairing is really not feasible.

Isn't that amazing? Nothing is repaired anymore, we just replace it.

I had a watch given to me by my grandfather. It quit, hell it was WAY over 100 years old. I took it to watch repair shop. They tried to sell me a new one instead of repairing it.

Top Bottom