• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I frequent gun shows in Indiana. I see a lot of nice long guns from private collections being offered. I've always stayed away from purchasing any due to the fact I'm an out of state resident. Where I need honest clarification is can, I purchase a long gun in a private sale with no background check or FFL getting involved or not.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Maybe your question should be can you legally purchase..... I'm fairly certain that answer is no. But I'm not an attorney and that's not legal advice.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    If there is a state line being crossed then a FFL has to be involved. If a longgun is being transferred it can be done in either state. If a handgun it must be done in the buyer's state.
    This is the honest clarification I was looking for that validated what I thought. You would be surprised how many private individuals at gun shows in Indiana would disagree with you and have told me it would be no problem selling me a long gun, pay the money walk away with the gun.
    Thanks to all who have responded.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    This is the honest clarification I was looking for that validated what I thought. You would be surprised how many private individuals at gun shows in Indiana would disagree with you and have told me it would be no problem selling me a long gun, pay the money walk away with the gun.
    Thanks to all who have responded.
    That is the legal way, not necessarily the way it should be. Now, what happens between 2 proper individuals in private, to quote the great Sgt. Schultz, "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing".

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    That is the legal way, not necessarily the way it should be. Now, what happens between 2 proper individuals in private, to quote the great Sgt. Schultz, "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing".
    Yes, I agree it's not the way it should be. I feel if you have a CPL or been through the NFA examination or have a C&R license, or whatever else your examined for that should be sufficient to purchase whatever you want regardless of what border you cross.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I agree it's not the way it should be. I feel if you have a CPL or been through the NFA examination or have a C&R license, or whatever else your examined for that should be sufficient to purchase whatever you want regardless of what border you cross.

How about even simpler?

If you're an American citizen and a proper person... that should be sufficient to purchase whatever you want regardless of what border you cross.

And I'm even a bit iffy about the use of "proper person"--who and what defines a "proper person"? As we all know that definitions can and will be used against us to try to remove our rights.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    How about even simpler?

If you're an American citizen and a proper person... that should be sufficient to purchase whatever you want regardless of what border you cross.

And I'm even a bit iffy about the use of "proper person"--who and what defines a "proper person"? As we all know that definitions can and will be used against us to try to remove our rights.
    I agree with your comment about proper person meaning.
    How would you verify that the person is a citizen - certified birth certificate, naturalization paper?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I was under the impression the laws changed a few years ago to allow long gun sales in adjoining states. Meaning I could go to Michigan, purchase a long gun, and drive home with it. Is this only for an FFL? Or am I completely off track?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree with your comment about proper person meaning.
    How would you verify that the person is a citizen - certified birth certificate, naturalization paper?

Meh. Looks like an American, sounds like an American, acts like an American... Good 'nuff for me. Given that Americans come from pretty much every stock there is, I think that about covers it.

Guess I'm kinda nonrestrictive about the whole thing... Might have something to do with that whole "shall not be infringed" idea or something.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I was under the impression the laws changed a few years ago to allow long gun sales in adjoining states. Meaning I could go to Michigan, purchase a long gun, and drive home with it. Is this only for an FFL? Or am I completely off track?
    Actually I think you can buy a long gun in any state that allows sales to out of state residents. Has to be from a FFL and face to face. Not sure when it started but I know we could buy from adjoining states for years, then just a few years ago it was opened up to any state. I may very well be mistaken but IIRC that was a state law that allowed/restricted it, then it got changed to really open it up.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any state?​

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own state. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over-the-counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s state of residence and the licensee’s state of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My nephew from Texas is here for Thanksgiving.
    He wants to buy a lower receiver at the local gun shop/FFL.
    Is it lawful for him to purchase a lower here, and take possession here?

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    My nephew from Texas is here for Thanksgiving.
    He wants to buy a lower receiver at the local gun shop/FFL.
    Is it lawful for him to purchase a lower here, and take possession home

i believe no. because as a lower it could be made into a pistol or riffle. my 19 year old nephew ran into this, he ordered a lower and could not pick it up at a ffl because it did not have a upper on it. could be made into a pistol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    i believe no. because as a lower it could be made into a pistol or riffle. my 19 year old nephew ran into this, he ordered a lower and could not pick it up at a ffl because it did not have a upper on it. could be made into a pistol.
    If that's the case he won't be getting one.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    At gun shows in northern Montana a Canadian will occasionally (attempt to) buy a firearm from an individual. It is not very common that proof of residency is requested or even mentioned.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    This! I was told the exact same thing by a FFL who also does mail order when I wanted to purchase a receiver made in KS. They could ship it to my FFL here, but that drove the cost out of line.
    --Rick

Top Bottom