• messenger bag

Votes: 2 25.0%
    • fanny pack

Votes: 3 37.5%
    • keep in tool bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • sling pack

Votes: 3 37.5%
    • ankle carry (keep in tool bag 75% of the time)

Votes: 1 12.5%
    • don't carry

• restart my life

• Total voters

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I tend to get a lot of work in a lot of really bad areas, but it's good money and I love my job. I have personally witnessed 1 shooting and been in the immediate area of 3 others in the past year. So naturally, carrying my gun is paramount. For my job I have to carry a lot of tools and am wearing a toolbelt 95% of the time. I can't carry aiwb while working, so I like to keep my edc in my tool bag. Then I run into a couple of problems. Making it easy access, keeping the firearm hidden and protecting it are just a few. My pre-caffeinated thought was carrying a messenger bag.

Pros-
    Dedicated space
    Ability to carry my fullsize and extra mags
    easier to carry my wallet, daily planner, notepad, etc
    easy to carry while carrying my tool backpack
    dont have to pack/unpack gun, wallet, planner, notepad every day
    can carry water bottle without it exploding. (I learned my lesson. water bottle + screwdrivers + weight and abuse = mess)
    Can carry medpack
    I can fit in with the yuppie hipsters living uptown.

cons-
    I can fit in with the yuppie hipsters uptown
    extra bag to carry
    another expense
    It will still be out of my immediate reach
    Im not sure of how I feel about carrying a manpurse....

debatable-
    Would it be a larger target than 3 bags full of power tools ( I carry well over $2k in tools on any given job)
    Is the risk of keeping the firearm off body but in visual range worth it.
    Are there better options im not seeing?
    Should I quit my job, be broke, and start a new career from scratch in a different town after I sell my house and hope I like it and can support my family so that people on ingo don't go snowflake and melt on me because I don't have positive control on my firearm which I understand is important but is not always possible so I have to choose between gun in a bag or no gun at all...

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Also some places I work in are, Chicago public schools in the ghetto, and residential homes on the side. With our other businesses, I have to transport large sums in cash 1-2 times a week.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Should I quit my job, be broke, and start a new career from scratch in a different town after I sell my house and hope I like it and can support my family so that people on ingo don't go snowflake and melt on me because I don't have positive control on my firearm which I understand is important but is not always possible so I have to choose between gun in a bag or no gun at all...
    :runaway:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    CCW-specific bags and backpacks are pretty cool, the specific compartment that mounts the gun in a specific and repeatable place is paramount.

Bet you could get pretty clever with the tool belt, though, at least for a smaller gun. Add or delete stitching to make a pocket of appropriate dimensions to conceal it, then stitch in a bit of velcro to mount a simple two piece Amazon kydex pancake holster with the belt hardware removed.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    CCW-specific bags and backpacks are pretty cool, the specific compartment that mounts the gun in a specific and repeatable place is paramount.

Bet you could get pretty clever with the tool belt, though, at least for a smaller gun. Add or delete stitching to make a pocket of appropriate dimensions to conceal it, then stitch in a bit of velcro to mount a simple two piece Amazon kydex pancake holster with the belt hardware removed.
    Im texting a couple buddies in a group chat. One of them said something similar. Idk If i could pull it off. I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fanny pack is going to be the closest in-control option without being too obvious.

I used to carry a full size in their large one.

Good luck finding one because it looks like they are discontinued.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Something along these lines would be interesting...

1618749125155.png

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Something along these lines would be interesting...

View attachment 136154
    I haven't seen a Milwaukee one. That might be cool. I'm all Milwaukee tools, with the exception of some hilti

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The obvious problem with any kind of off body carry is when you have no choice but to set it down. Then you are separated from your sidearm along with leaving it susceptible to being stolen or forgotten.

The other end of the issue is that nearly all of the murse type off body solutions may seem discrete, yet scream "gun inside" to most people who might be looking for that. No such thing as a quick discrete draw, as the contents of the murse is a target of robbers that know such.

I might suggest a pants solution like Duluth Trading Co. Their sturdy work pants have large Velcro flapped pockets that accommodate a G43 in a pocket holster very nicely. A couple three mags sprinkled in the opposite side pockets balance the weight nicely.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I can't with good conscience recommend any off body carry. You just never know who is in the area. If I can't holster, I use a belly band. It's not ideal but it's better than any other option I can find.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Off body carry really should be a last resort. There are a few different pant makers that have built in pockets or holsters that allow for carry below the waist line and along the thigh. I'd personally explore all of those options first before even considering off body carry. When you need to draw your gun, you need to do it quickly. Off body has way too many variables that hinder a fast, repeatable draw.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Holsters are a no go. I don't even have my phone in my pocket, let alone my wallet due to bulk. At work, it's either off body, or no gun type of deal. I understand the issue and risk of of body. And to be clear, it would be laying near my tool bag. I am stuck between this or no gun.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So I guess the question should be.
    Carry off body, or leave the gun at home during the time I am astronomically more likely to need it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The obvious problem with any kind of off body carry is when you have no choice but to set it down. Then you are separated from your sidearm along with leaving it susceptible to being stolen or forgotten.

The other end of the issue is that nearly all of the murse type off body solutions may seem discrete, yet scream "gun inside" to most people who might be looking for that. No such thing as a quick discrete draw, as the contents of the murse is a target of robbers that know such.

I might suggest a pants solution like Duluth Trading Co. Their sturdy work pants have large Velcro flapped pockets that accommodate a G43 in a pocket holster very nicely. A couple three mags sprinkled in the opposite side pockets balance the weight nicely.
    I will give the pants a go. I love their pants for work. If nothing else, another pair of work pants would be nice

Top Bottom