• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    personally, take it for what it's worth, if i were in the same situation as the LE i would have done the same thing. you are there to protect public safety and if a person is standing there waving a gun around, and it got pointed at me, i would have no hesitation. the officers have great self control in the fact that only one shot was fired.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is a sad and unfortunate situation. The LEOs, to my mind, had no other option. I am not sure how you could expect them to use non-lethal means when they had every reason to believe their lives and the lives of others were in imminent danger.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just don't understand why they had to shoot him with a 223,seems like overkill
    especially since he never fired a shot,and there were several officers on the scene with handguns drawn.

Why did the cop use a 223 - because the 308 was in was in his other car. :ar15:

Threat Stopped...

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All the stories about rubber bullets are fake?

I know of no agency which issues rubber bullets to it's officers. In fact, I've never seen rubber bullets (for a handgun or rifle) for sale in any distributor's catalog.

What has already been said is correct. Deadly force is deadly force, it matters little what caliber or weapon was used. I'm sorry you lost someone you know but that doesn't mean you get to expect a different response from the officer's than if they were dealing with someone you didn't know. They were justified. A mentally ill person with a firearm in their hand can be just as dangerous, if not more so, than anyone else.

It sounds to me like they made every effort to convince him to put the weapon down.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Those that are mentally infirm arent extended a "pass" when they a danger to the public.

^This. In fact, I think it could be quite reasonably argued that there is more to fear from a mentally retarded person in a standoff like this, because they are going to be less likely to understand logic and reasoning and be talked down from the confrontation.

Good shoot in my opinion.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    "Known mentally ill?"

Licensed to drive a car, the red mustang in the pictures is his.

Posession of a handgun. Legal?

Seems like if this was "known" someone should have stepped in long before a police officer had to make a decision between taking a bullet and shooting this person.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In fact, I've never seen rubber bullets (for a handgun or rifle) for sale in any distributor's catalog.

They are around but rare today.

I have some for .30-'06 but I do not think they are catalogued today.

It is my understanding that they were popular during the '60s for riot control especially the rubber buckshot pellets for shotguns.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    Living in Decatur as I do, and knowing who the guy is, the cops did right. The guy is a known trouble maker. Has had violent problems in his past. That wasnt the first time in that incident he pointed the gun at them, it was the 3 or 4th time.

Having family on the Decatur Police Dept(Uncle) and the Adams County Sheriff Dept(Dad, who happened to be a contender for Sheriff in 2010), I have heard the full story, and what's in the **** poor excuse of a paper(Decatur Daily Democrat), is not the complete story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

It is my understanding that they were popular during the '60s for riot control especially the rubber buckshot pellets for shotguns.

Seems like I remember them talking about issuing them for one of the anarchist riots at the G7 summit or some similar global talk.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009

yes in fact 00 buck in rubber form is still in production as riot control and used in prison yards as less then leathal rounds..these are used for un armed people not someone who is pointing a gun at the police....i personal have some rubber 00 buck in my 870 for home defence....the 1st 2 are rubber followed by steel 00 buck.....i think in the house the rubber will reduce collateral damage to my family...but if someone still posing danger its all over for them

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Good shoot. /thread.

yes in fact 00 buck in rubber form is still in production as riot control and used in prison yards as less then leathal rounds..these are used for un armed people not someone who is pointing a gun at the police....i personal have some rubber 00 buck in my 870 for home defence....the 1st 2 are rubber followed by steel 00 buck.....i think in the house the rubber will reduce collateral damage to my family...but if someone still posing danger its all over for them

This will be debated shortly.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Mentally Ill with a gun is more scary to me than normal mind with a gun. They are less predictable and more likely to do something unexpected.

Mental health providers attempt to intervene before this happens, but once you're in it, has to be dealt with. I agree though, we have no idea what his mental status or actual diagnosis was, if any.

Neutralize the threat. As of print time the guy was alive, right? He's lucky. He owes the officer a big deal of gratitude he went COM instead of head.

Last edited:

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    OK, why is no one asking the most pertinent question here....
    WHERE DID THIS GUY, A KNOWN MENTAL PATIENT, GET HIS HANDGUN????

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I have witnessed a mental person with keyhole saw, walk towards a man pointing a gun at him. (the man broke into a garage) You just never know what might happen, that was very strange. It was just seconds from the man getting a head shot.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    History

OK, why is no one asking the most pertinent question here....
    WHERE DID THIS GUY, A KNOWN MENTAL PATIENT, GET HIS HANDGUN????

August 18, 2004. A known mental patient killed his mother, strolled the neighborhood shooting everything in sight, and shot several officers, killing one, on the southside of Indy. He was killed while exchanging fire with one of the officers he shot. The SKS he used that night and some other guns, I believe, had previously been confiscated by IPD but somebody filed a suit on his behalf and they were returned to him.

The question remains valid, very troubling, and unanswered.

Top Bottom