Men's Warehouse vs. Joseph A. Bank--Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The last couple times I've bought suits, I went to Joseph A Bank. Previously, I bought from Men's Warehouse. The Jos A Bank suits were of better quality (better, thicker cloth and they last longer). So I saw today that the Jos A Bank in Plainfield is permanently closed. I don't really want to drive to the north side, so I wanted to quiz the hive for opinions.

Since I haven't shopped at MW for a long time, is the quality of their suits up to JAB these days, or are they still the lesser of the two? OR, have they switched places?

If they are about the same, or if MW is better, I'll try MW again. If not, and JAB is better, I'll bite the bullet and go north. I need about 3 suits, or 4 if the deal is particularly good.

Opinions welcome!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I need about 3 suits, or 4 if the deal is particularly good.

Not sure the last time I knew of someone wearing a suit four days a week. I remember those days but have not seen them for a while.

For a one time purchase bite the bullet and drive north to JAB and get what you are familiar with and happy with.

Back when I was wearing suits everyday I would buy from LS Ayres and then from Macy's. Always happy with the fit, style, durability and price point. It has been a few years since I bought a suit so things could have changed.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    figure out what size you wear and order off the interwebs. Then take to local alterations store for final fitting.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    The last couple times I've bought suits, I went to Joseph A Bank. Previously, I bought from Men's Warehouse. The Jos A Bank suits were of better quality (better, thicker cloth and they last longer). So I saw today that the Jos A Bank in Plainfield is permanently closed. I don't really want to drive to the north side, so I wanted to quiz the hive for opinions.

Since I haven't shopped at MW for a long time, is the quality of their suits up to JAB these days, or are they still the lesser of the two? OR, have they switched places?

If they are about the same, or if MW is better, I'll try MW again. If not, and JAB is better, I'll bite the bullet and go north. I need about 3 suits, or 4 if the deal is particularly good.

Opinions welcome!
    Suit???
    1626217573719.gif

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    figure out what size you wear and order off the interwebs. Then take to local alterations store for final fitting.

Maybe that's an option at some point. But I the last time I bought suits, I bought 4 of them at JAB. It took me one stop and about an hour and a half. They sized me, I picked the suits, they then did the fitting and marked them for alterations and a few days later I picked them up. That's quick and one stop. That's why I'm looking to go this way. And, I got a very good price on the suits and they lasted a long time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe that's an option at some point. But I the last time I bought suits, I bought 4 of them at JAB. It took me one stop and about an hour and a half. They sized me, I picked the suits, they then did the fitting and marked them for alterations and a few days later I picked them up. That's quick and one stop. That's why I'm looking to go this way. And, I got a very good price on the suits and they lasted a long time.

When they are having sales the purchase can be heavily discounted if you play the game and get lucky to fit some of their clearance merchandise.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not sure the last time I knew of someone wearing a suit four days a week. I remember those days but have not seen them for a while.

For a one time purchase bite the bullet and drive north to JAB and get what you are familiar with and happy with.

Back when I was wearing suits everyday I would buy from LS Ayres and then from Macy's. Always happy with the fit, style, durability and price point. It has been a few years since I bought a suit so things could have changed.
    Lol, I wear them every day, sometimes six days a week. Usually 10 hours a day or more. I don't love them, believe me.

I think you are right and I'll be driving north. I'm just so stinking busy and so tired at the end of a day. But I'd sure love to hear someone say MW has improved and is on par. That'd save me some driving. I really hate it that JAB closed the Plainfield store. It was on one of my routes home. Easy as can be. MW is on my primary route. I just don't think I can settle for the lesser suit, as much as I wear them. The ones I have from JAB that are still good have held up surprisingly well.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I believe MW is part of the same family as JAB, now a lower line for the chain...
    You are correct. The shamdemic put them into bankruptcy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just a story on modern clothing retailing.

Years ago, for example, Polo outlet stores were there to sell out stuff that did not sell well in their flagship stores and older merchandise. It became so lucrative that they began to manufacture lower grade stuff just to sell at outlet stores. Not near the quality but highly profitable and a way to trade on their name without killing the prestige of the brand...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think so many people worked from home or weren't working at all that the bottom dropped out of the suit business. Too many Googles out there, too, where millenials can wear their freaking pajamas to work. I don't love wearing suits, but I do like the professionalism they show. So I have no issues with wearing them.

I'm amazed at how many young people don't even wear them to interviews anymore. Had a young guy come in Friday in a suit, dressed to the 9's. What a breath of fresh air that was. It communicates quite a bit about how seriously they are taking the interview and it also shows respect for the organization and people with whom they are interviewing.

I've taught my kids this. My son dressed up very nicely at 15 years old when he interviewed for his first job at McDonalds. They offered it to him right on the spot. He said they were very impressed but also said it boosted his own confidence, too. I think the kid gets it.

Next I'm going to get a pair of custom fitted shoes. Never had them before. So I'm looking forward to that, if I can find the time to get them. LOL!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The poor gal at the Albany Pak a sak was so confused at my constantly changing wardrobe that she finally asked just what it was I did for a living. To be fair though, it wouldn't have been unusual for her to see me filthy, covered in grass clippings and dust, wearing factory blues, in a full suit, or dressed nicely for a date or family get together, all different times of the day and night, in one week. LOL.

Top Bottom